Long Term Stay Payments

Judy807
Level 2
Plymouth, MN

Long Term Stay Payments

I have a question about Long Term Stay Payments.  Has anyone ever had any issues with their tenants not paying or being able to pay their 2nd or 3rd monthly payment during their long term stay?  And if so, what is Airbnb's policy on this?  I haven't had this happen but I'm worried about getting a payment if this should occur.  

Thanks,

Judy

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Judy807 

Airbnb will sent you a message charging the guest for the payment has failed.

They have no possibilities to force the guest to pay. End of story...

If there is also a signed renting contract , you have more legal options outside Airbnb.

Of course they can’t force the guest to pay but they work with them to get payment. I also think I mitigate the risk by checking people’s eviction and credit rating in their background check. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Judy807  And that is only one reason to stay away from long term bookings through Airbnb. After a month the guest becomes a tenant, falling under landlord/ tenant laws in most jurisdictions. If they fail  to pay the rent, or are objectionable, and decide to squat, you will have a big hassle trying to evict them.

Plenty of hosts used to be landlords and moved away from long term rentals in favor of short term for just this reason. They were sick of dealing with tenants who didn't pay the rent on time, or trashed out the place, with it taking months to be able to evict them. 

Judy807
Level 2
Plymouth, MN

I only do long term (30+ day) rentals. I have had issues where the payment will not come out on time but airbnb has always followed up and gotten my payment. Usually I think it’s probably a timing issue based on when the person gets paid vs. when airbnb pulls the payment. I also do background checks on all my renters so I know how good or bad their credit is.