Midnight arrivals

Midnight arrivals

I am having a problem and am not sure how to deal with it. 

On our listings we state the Check-in window -  1:00PM - 9:00PM. I have Increased the window by 2 hours because people seemed unable to arrive on time.  Now the problem is they are arriving between 11:00 PM and Midnight. Not acceptable! Now I do understand unexpected delays. It happens. But when they just want to tour around or do not adjust for travel time from point A to point B, that is a problem. I do not want to be rude but we go to bed at 10:00 and get up at 5:00. I keep in contact with our guests the day of arrival. Ensuring they will be on time. Letting them know other details that may pertain to their arrival. But what I am getting now is - " Sorry we will not be there until shortly after 9. Ok no problem thanks for letting me know. Then it starts. - Sorry it won't be until just beofre 10:00...... 11:00 .....11:30 ... and so on. Yes they keep in contact and let me know but ........

So do I change my check in time to lets say no later than 6:00 and see if they can get here on time. Or once the check in time has expired do I just let them know you are late - reservation has been cancelled? I really am unsure how to handle this situation.

Thanks for any insight

Gail

5 Replies 5
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

You need to set the expectation right away when the reservation is made. Let them know your latest check in time is firm at 9pm and you will not be able to check them in later. If they think they'll be locked out on the street if they don't arrive by 9pm, they'll make sure they're there beforehand. 

Cynthia;

Thank you for your response. Now I am just trying to word my message so it do not sound horrible 🙂

I sometimes think it is easier of you are not on site, no show nobody to let anybody in and a lockbox strikes me as being too risky for my taste.

There is no easy answer, I used to have 11pm and moved it back to 10pm on the basis anybody turning up late would in most cases be there within an hour.

I also message guests with the very basic information a day or so before their trip, and ask for their approx arrival time.

I still get enquiries for my cheapest room for a night on the lines of our plane arrives at 9.30pm whatever in Denver, well an hour to get through and to car rental, 2 hours to get here so no, suggest they look for somewhere near the Airport.

There will occasionally be a late arival with a valid reason, my last late ones came in at 1.30 am in May in the middle of a blizzard wearing flip flops and shorts.. They all have phones, they can see their eta and the weather.

David
Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Hi @Gail72 a lockbox feasible for you? I use one now, and it's been great. I don't worry about late arrivals now, although I do try to catch up to the guests at some point to introduce myself and let them know to holler or text if they need something. I send the lockbox combination along with directions to enter the house when I have a confirmed reservation. I have been using this method over a year now, and it's a blessing for those late night arrivals. It also frees me up to leave during the day if I have errands. I know the guests can let themselves in and get settled. I do have a dog, and I have a baby gate that I close to shut him on the upper level if I leave, as the guest apartment is on the lower level.

Kate - a lock box is not a good idea around here. It gets so dark you cannot see your hand in front of your face. While we do have exterior lights they do not eluminate far enough. My concern is safety, so they have to come through the house. Thanks for the idea 🙂