Nashville Hosts

Daniel362
Level 1
Hendersonville, TN

Nashville Hosts

Have any of you Nashville hosts gotten anything taped to your front door from the Department of codes and safety? 

Call me naive but I wasn't aware of any laws regulating Airbnb in Nashville. I didn't know that I had to have a permit for renting a room of my house on here. 

Last Tuesday I had a "stop work order" taped to my door that would generally be used in cases where a homeowner was doing construction to their house without a permit. Then, two days later I got a letter in the mail with a court date. I had no guests between this time, they didn't even give me a chance to comply.....

I wish Airbnb told hosts when they create their listing that their house is in an area where a permit is required.

Also, how could Metro get my address? It's not listed on my profile. At first I thought it must have been a neighbor that reported me but my brother-in-law who lives in a different part of town also had the same letter taped to his door. Is Airbnb giving this information to the city? If so, are they within their rights to do so without asking or at least notifiying hosts first?

2 Replies 2
Vivian62
Level 2
Goodlettsville, TN

I just started! Where do I register? 

Ting9
Level 2
Nashville, TN

yeah you have to have a short term rental permit, theres different kinds of permits but for now they are only issuing the owner occupied type permit (type 1)  these are issued by metro codes.  Basically you have to show the floor plan, insurance, notifcation to the neighbors, then get inspected by the fire department.  

you are also required to get a sales tax number and collect both sales and hotel tax and remit it to the state and city each month.

I also didnt know all this was required for the first 3 months of doing airbnb, luckly it was only 3 months and wasnt too much back taxes to pay out of pocket..  

so what happened to your ordeal with the stop order left on your door?