Needy

Answered!
Holli54
Level 1
Lubbock, TX

Needy

I am fairly new to all this 

I travel with air B and B often and have just opened a rental property to hosting guests - this is my 2nd guest when she booked she asked if she could check in early - I agreed - we agreed on 1100am - on check in day I got a phone call at 830am Sunday morning from support saying the guest was lost -  I let them know her check in was not until 11 - I got up and directed the guest to the home .  

The WiFi at the home is being updated at the home and is down until January 29th - she complained - so I had another company install WiFi for her at the home. She has asked if she can install a washer and dryer - I agreed. She has a guest with her - I allowed it - there has not been a day in her 4 day stay that she has not contacted me with some issue - I’m wondering if I can just plan on this for the rest of here stay and beginning to regret the choice I have made to open my home - I guess I’m just looking for some reassurance 

1 Best Answer
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Holli54   I looked at your profile and saw 13 very positive reviews - all for you as a traveler.  I also see that you have 3 entire apartment/house listings.  Way to jump into the lake to learn to swim, @Holli54!!   Guess that is the Texas spirit, right?  Sooooo, now you are dealing with guests that may not be like you.  Your rules, communication and expecations must protect your investment and consider the long term business plan. 

Are you looking for long term guests rather than short term?  Please make sure you have read the Air BNB policies about long term payout and cancellation. Make sure you understand tenant rights in your area.

Meanwhile, you might find it useful to go slow and continue to tap into the expertise of this forum.  

Good luck with this guest!

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10

@Holli54 Yes, you can expect more of the same and worse, but I'm astonished by the extent to which you've actively enabled it from before Day One.

Being a little flexible on the check-in time is no big deal, although I do suggest gently communicating that it will be strictly on your own terms by saying: "the earliest check-in time I can guarantee is xx:00, but if an earlier time is possible I will be happy to inform you the day before your arrival date."  You see what I did there?

Anyway... It was already pretty guaranteed when you got that call from Airbnb that you had an entitled, high maintenance guest on your hands. But on what planet does a short term guest install appliances in an Airbnb rental? What hosting demon possessed you that gave the green light to this? It seems that not a single one of your established parameters (check in time, guest count, amenities offered) is being recognized by the guest or enforced by you. The only question is how much more of a doormat you're going to be before you put a stop to this madness. 

Kitty80
Level 1
Valier, MT

You need to have all communications with her via the Airbnb app, do not take it over text messages or phone calls. And at this point unless something that you have listed as amenities is not working, do not provide anything else. If you haven't installed the washer/dryer yet, I would suggest you do not install it. Tell them there will be an additional charge for it. And you need to reach out to Airbnb support and explain what is going on. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I can see the wifi, @Holli54 . You have that listed as an amenity. It needs to be working while the guest is staying. 

But I'm with the others on the rest. I am the same as @Anonymous  when it comes to early check-ins: "I will let you know the night before whether that is possible."

And a polite but hard "no" to installing anything. 

As @Kitty80 says, keep everything in the messaging. I don't think you can back out of the washer/dryer thing now, since you said you agreed. Just going forward be careful not to agree to things too quickly. I use the advice of one of the forum members: You can always use the line "Let me think about that" if you feel caught flatfooted by a request. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Holli54  You spent money to install wifi early and am I understanding this correctly, you bought this person a washer and dryer because they asked for it ?  How long is this person staying you say all this has happened and you are only on day 4??

You are going to have to toughen up and learn how to say no with a smile, or all of your guests will walk all over you like this person did.  

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Holli54 

„She has asked if she can install a washer and dryer“

Did she buy the washer and the dryer? This is heavy equipment – will she remove the 2 machines when she checks out?

Holli54
Level 1
Lubbock, TX

Wow 

these are all very helpful thank y’all for all the advice - I’ll work in the “no” in me and will ask advise first - she is purchasing theWasher and dryer - here in the lone  star state possession  is 9/10 of the law - so if she leaves it behind it will belong to me - she has tried to call and text me on my person phone - I do not reply - I only message her via air B and B 

As far as the wi if goes - I did not know the company was upgrading until she said something about not being able to log in - I called the company and was informed and remedied the situation the best I knew how 

I have stayed in lots of places all over the U. S. Using air B and B and would NEVER even dream of behaving this way - 
hopefully I grow a spine soon

@Holli54 "She is purchasing the Washer and dryer". PLEASE SEND HER MY WAY. Thanks.

You'll figure it all out. Takes time, and patience. You learn as you go. So don't give up.

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

@Holli54 @how long has she booked for? 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Holli54   I looked at your profile and saw 13 very positive reviews - all for you as a traveler.  I also see that you have 3 entire apartment/house listings.  Way to jump into the lake to learn to swim, @Holli54!!   Guess that is the Texas spirit, right?  Sooooo, now you are dealing with guests that may not be like you.  Your rules, communication and expecations must protect your investment and consider the long term business plan. 

Are you looking for long term guests rather than short term?  Please make sure you have read the Air BNB policies about long term payout and cancellation. Make sure you understand tenant rights in your area.

Meanwhile, you might find it useful to go slow and continue to tap into the expertise of this forum.  

Good luck with this guest!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Holli54 

This guest is taking you for a ride and then some.  Sadly she is taking advantage of you and you have let her. @Holli54 

Charge for extra guests, don't allow early check-in's as you can't book the night before, do not agree to provide amenities that are not advertised in your listing.  If you say you have wifi, then yes it should be provided.  If she wanted somewhere with amenities not advertised in your listing, then she should have booked somewhere with those amenities.

What sort of things is she contacting you about on a daily basis? For things relating to the listing direct her to your guest guide. 

I have no doubt that she will be demanding throughout her stay.

Personally I would have asked Airbnb to cancel the booking when she bought an extra guest and demanded installation of the washing machine.