New Airbnb Categories not working...

Martin91
Level 5
Green Valley Lake, CA

New Airbnb Categories not working...

I manage 12 listings and all are marked as "cabin" under the type of accommodation. However, when a traveler clicks on the new "cabin" category that was added in today's release, most of my cabins are not even shown. They are not even found. If no special "category" is selected then they are visible but if a traveler uses the new category feature and use the "cabin" filter, not all my listings show up at all. 😞 It's as if the new categories are filtering OUT my cabins.

How can we get this resolved so our cabins are visible when someone selects "cabin" under the new categories?

Also, two of my places are A-frame style cabins. However, when you select "A-Frame" under the new special categories, they do not show up. (I see no place to assign "A-Frame" under the type of accommodation section.) And one of my listed cabins is NOT an A-frame at all, not even close to an A-frame shape or style, yet it shows up when a guest uses the "A-Frame" filter under the new categories... How can we hosts assign these new categories properly so guests can find the proper listings they are searching for?

For reference, you can see the listings I manage all here: https://www.airbnb.com/users/22289954/listings 

Thanks for any advice or suggestions. - Martin

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Martin91 

It is the Airbnb Ai (Artificial Intelligence) deciding how to categorize.

"the biggest change to Airbnb in a decade"

But it can not even recognize a cabin ?

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Airbnb-2022-Summer-Release-What-you-need-to-know/...

Martin91
Level 5
Green Valley Lake, CA

Well that's not good. At the very least they should first go by the category that the host marked it as when setting up the listing, which was "Cabin!" 
Airbnb should have a submit form where hosts can request their place be assigned to a specific category. Then if their AI doesn't think it is accurate it can get bumped to an actual human to verify if the host is putting in the right category. Because at this point it is just luck whether or not families looking to go to a mountain cabin will find you IF Airbnb catigorizes your place as a "cabin." Pretty lame.. Come on Airbnb. Please fix these issues. 😞

Ken250
Level 2
Granby, CT

I too have multiple properties I manage. One is on a Connecticut vineyard. The listing, in the opening line, states it is located at the name of the vineyard. However, when searching in by the category "vineyard" it does not show up!

Ken / Dawn Kuhl
Asli2
Level 2
Panama City Beach, FL

Dear Ken, after all these months since January, has your listing ever showed up in the category "vineyard" eventually? One moderator in one of these forums says that the category filters get populated with new listings every 2 weeks, so did your vineyard really show up in the right category after 2 weeks? I'd very much like to know how long it took you to get picked up, if you ever did, your response is greatly appreciated. Thanks a million for letting me know. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Martin91 @Ken250, as Emiel mentioned, the categories are being evaluated using machine learning. This article explains more about what you can do to increase the chances to highlight your listings https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/new-ways-for-guests-to-discover-your-listing-522

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Hey Martin, I have spent hours talking to Airbnb “supervisors” about placing my a-frame in the right filter and no one can answer how to do it. It is terrible that people looking for a specific listing that my home fulfills they won’t be able to see it. One of the supervisors couldn’t help me and closed my case

Any updates on this? We are clearly an A Frame, how do we get labeled?

Helen31
Level 2
Royston, United Kingdom

Hi All

Thought I'd add my two penneth worth to this. I have been on airbnb since 2013. I have had Superhost status most of that time. Since 2019, I have had almost 100% occupancy of my property and there have been many months where I have had at least six people fighting over it!! I have had the pleasure of choosing which family is most suited!  Since the new airbnb changes. NOT A SINGLE ENQUIRY OR BOOKING. It is my only income.

My house does not fit into any of the 56 categories. If I type in the village or nearby towns to where I am my property does not show up AT ALL - ANYWHERE. What does show up are houses over 50 miles away in London!! I am in a most beautiful, rural part of the country! What also shows up are other properties in other villages next door to me. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. (I put in dates as well).

I found this thread and am completely shocked at the responses from airbnb. If they don't sort this out soon, they will start losing hosts left right and centre, if they haven't already. I am already exploring other platforms now.