No Introductory Message

Tory-and-Allen0
Level 1
Portland, ME

No Introductory Message

Over the last week most of my guests who have booked haven't sent an introductory message. It's my understanding that guests are required to send a message with their booking, it says so in the app. I'm afraid I'm missing messages from guests, which could include any questions or special requests. Is anyone else having this problem? Airbnb technical support hasn't been helpful this far - going to keep trying.

16 Replies 16
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tory-and-Allen0  Have you tried messaging these guests to find out if they sent a message along with their request? That's where I'd start, to ascertain if it's a tech issue, or simply clueless newbie guests who don't think they need to accompany a request with a message to the host.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Tory-and-Allen0 This is something that Airbnb must be testing. I made a reservation last week and the 'message the host' text box appeared on a page AFTER I hit confirm and pay.

When I attempt to confirm your listing now, there is no introductory message. But guests will see if after they confirm. Of course, many hosts use this message as a final attempt to ward off not-so-great-fitting guests. So this is a very bad experiment on Airbnb's part. I hope it doesn't last long.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Tory-and-Allen0   My latest bookings have not had anything written by the guests.  In fact, the messages from guests who deign to write are getting shorter and shorter.  One introductory message read  "Thanks".  

Glen637
Level 2
Portland, ME

I’m having the exact same issue. Tried to call in to support for help but was told “although it’s required, it’s not mandatory” 🤔

I’ve never had this problem before two days ago and would love for this to be resolved. 

Ugh that’s so frustrating! Glad to hear I’m not the only one at least. I’ve talked to 3 different people at Airbnb and heard different things from each, but none of them could help me. Best advice was to just “report a bug” to Airbnb, but they don’t even respond to those. Hoping it gets resolved soon. 

@Tory-and-Allen0 @Glen637 

Customer support never knows what type of "features" Airbnb is testing or rolling out. It is useless to talk to them about it. As far as I can tell they are testing this with different markets. I just experienced this when booking as a guest. I wish I took a picture of the booking process. The text box to the host is on a page AFTER the guest clicks "confirm and pay." So the reservation is confirmed and then the guest can message the host. Not everyone (hosts and guests) across the world goes through this same process. I hope that Airbnb realizes how stupid the new process is and reverts back to the original way soon. Until then, unfortunately, our cries go unheard. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Tory-and-Allen0  I actually include the following language in my listing at the bottom of the 'about this space' section: 

**Potential guest- please introduce yourself briefly in your booking message and let me know who will be joining you on your reservation.
Please also confirm that you have reviewed all property details, and acknowledge house rules.
I look forward to hosting you and simply want to make sure that the cabin suits your needs.

It has actually worked pretty well so far. Kind of a test to see if they read everything, and it gives them a format to write something. Some people are awkward and they don't know what to say.  If they don't respond to this in their message,  then it gives me an opening to ask if they've reviewed all the property details. Just a thought. Kia

@Kia272 that’s a good idea, but the problem some of us are having is that the guest isn’t being asked or required to write a message at all with their booking. I had one guest tell me that the box they normally see wasn’t there (when I reached out to them after receiving a booking with no message). 

This must be some sort of glitch or as @Emilia42 suggested a test... there’s just no way that all of a sudden every guest is overlooking the field when it’s never happened before and it’s now happening every time for the past two days. 

@Glen637  I understand. I just thought that either they've booked, and so messaging is an available option, or they've inquired, and certainly a message has to go through then?? Yikes-what a mess! I have a message required either way. At least that's what my settings are supposed to do.....who knows what glitch will come along next??

But overall, I have found that having that language in my listing has helped. Prior to that their message might have said something like, "Looking forward to our stay. Thanks!". Now guests are more likely to provide what I'm asking for, and it opens the door to a conversation. 

Let's hope AirBnB gets this fixed soon, and/or stops trying to "fix" their glitchy website. At least leave the parts that work alone. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Sounds to me like Airbnb is fine-tuning its "not one tiny obstacle to guests booking" policies. 

Heaven forbid they actually have to spend a couple minutes composing a message to a host while booking. 

Just opened an account 2 minutes ago? No problem, go ahead and book or send a request. The host will be thrilled to have their calendar blocked for the next 24 hours, missing out on bookings from guests who have their s**t together, while you faff around uploading your ID, your payment info, your phone number and email address and a photo.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Tory-and-Allen0   While I think it is good form for a potential guest to provide an introductuory message at the time of booking, I never thought it was a mandatory part of the process as far as the platform was constructed.  Whether I get a message or not, I reply immediately with my own message.  I see this communication as an opportunity to further decide whether the booking will go forward or not.  Almost all the time, a good communication is established.  

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Tory-and-Allen0 you're not missing it, it just isn't there... I start with an immediate message "hi! glad to see your reservation, tell me a little about your plans, we look forward to having you....... etc" and then go from there

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Tory-and-Allen0 ,

Thanks for your feedback on this. We've gone to the product team and here's what we found: 

If your listing is Instant Book, you can require a message from all guests by selecting ‘Pre-booking message required’ in your Instant Book settings. If your listing is Request to Book, there are no changes.

I hope this clears things up!

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie   I have IB turned on.  The introductory message provided to the guest in which I ask them to confirm they understand they are booking a private room, there is a dog and a cat in residence and I greet all guests to introduce to the dog is provided to IB guests AFTER they book.  Since I was able to return to hosting a month ago, I have had only one guest include in their introductory message the requested confirmation.  All others sent a message but did not confirm.  It leads me to believe that many guests do not read on once the booking is completed.  Perhaps the introductory message reminder needs to occur just prior to completing the booking, not after.