No refund for qualified cancellation!

Mary693
Level 1
Portland, ME

No refund for qualified cancellation!

I had a reservation in Portland Maine in early November, had to cancel for mdical reasons, followed all procedures, told the host in plenty of time and was assured by him that it was not a problem, was assured by Airbnb that we would receive a refund in full ($190) and NOTHING!  I am so frustrated and canNOT get any answers from Airbnb.  As a Super Host for many quarters, I'm astonished at this incredibly shabby treatment!  WANT RESOLUTION: WANT OUR REFUND BEFORE YEAR'S END!

10 Replies 10
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Mary693

If you cancelled through the site you should get refunded according to the cancellation policy for this property.  

Cancelling for medical reasons under the "extenuating circumstances" policy, you would need to provide proof to be fully refunded.  

Do you have a cancellation confirmation ? What does the host say in the matter ?

I received the following...      You will receive a full refund of $190.31 based on Mark’s Moderate cancellation policy.You should expect to receive this amount in your MASTERCARD 2734 account by Fri, Oct 20. The coupon of $100 you used for this reservation is non-refundable. Learn more

I still have not received this refund.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Mary693

When you say you can't get answers - do you mean they don't provide you with an update via phone or email as to when your refund will arrive?

In your situation I would try and reach them via Twitter.

I've heard NOTHING since I received that message above.  Don't do Twitter, no cell phone!

You don't need a cell phone for Twitter, @Mary693. I understand why you are reluctant to sign up for yet another thing, but it is free, and you really do get answers there. As it is Airbnb's preferred method for contact, think of it as your customer service line. Go to Twitter.com and create an account. You don't need to do anything more than find AirbnbHelp through the search function there, and send a direct message to them. If you want that refund, it will be worth it. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

What does the transactions pages (also: future transactions) say about this reservation ?

The financial settlement should be there.

If cancellation was for medical reasons, why did you not follow procedures for "extenuating circumstances", maybe geting a full refund ?

Best regards,Emiel

There's nothing on the transaction - or future tranaction - page.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

Nothing ? That's not correct.

Maybe contact Airbnb and explain your case:

- Login into your account

- Goto : https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us

- choose "payments and charges" and follow instructions

(provide allways the reservation number in the message)

Best regards, Emiel

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

So they told you the money would arrive in October, it didn't and you haven't contacted them since to chase it up?

Why don't you use the number they gave you when you got superhost status to give them a call. The one way you are going to resolve this is to contact them.

@Mary693   I have heard of Airbnb refunds taking an inordinate amount of time, here are all the ways to  contact Airbnb and these are the US  phone numbers +1-415-800-5959   +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free).