No-show guest - do I refund??

Answered!
Tara69
Level 2
Galway, Ireland

No-show guest - do I refund??

Hi, 

I've just had a guest who didn't show up last night. She informed me today that they have decided to stay elsewhere. They had booked with me for 6 nights. I have received this money. The 'guest' has asked for a refund. I would like to do a partial-refund but not all, if that sounds fair? (We were inconvenienced and have now lost out on other bookings that could have been made.)

I've been trawling through the community advice but can't get a gauge on what would be fair, money-wise, in a situation like this?

Has anyone any thoughts? Would 50% be fair or should it be more? (Less?) Opinions/experience appreciated!

Tee.

1 Best Answer
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Tara69

I don't think is this case your obliged to do anything, they did not turn up, so your guests are not covered by your "flexible cancelation policy".

• Cleaning fees are always refunded if the guest did not check in.
  • The Airbnb service fee is refundable (up to 3 times per year) if the guest cancels before the trip starts. If a guest books a reservation that overlaps with any part of an existing reservation, we won’t refund the Airbnb service fee if they decide to cancel.
  • Accommodation fees (the total nightly rate you're charged) are refundable in certain circumstances as outlined below.
  • If there is a complaint from either party, notice must be given to Airbnb within 24 hours of check-in.
  • Airbnb will mediate when necessary, and has the final say in all disputes.
  • A reservation is officially canceled when the guest clicks the cancellation button on the cancellation confirmation page, which they can find in Dashboard > Your Trips > Change or Cancel.
  • Cancellation policies may be superseded by the Guest Refund Policy, extenuating circumstances, or cancellations by Airbnb for any other reason permitted under the Terms of Service. Please review these exceptions.
  • Applicable taxes will be retained and remitted.

So, I’d sit tight and leave the ball in their court, make sure all your correspondence is using the AirBnb system to you your back.

I really think it’s disingenuous of them to even consider looking for a refund are you a doormat have you nothing better to do then wait around for them to arrive.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Tara69 You don't have to do anything, if your guest wants any refund she should cancel and sort it out with Airbnb according to your cancelation policy : https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies

However it would be smart if you contact Airbnb and let them know your guest didn't show otherwise your guest can claim she checked in and your place was dirty or give some other untruthfull explanation

here is how you can contact them: 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165/h...

How can a guest cancel 5 days prior to arrival if it was booked only 2 days in advance? When the guest arrives at the Airbnb location finds the area much different from what was advertised including run down homes, one covered with tarp next door. Also the advertisement states historic area but when the guest receives the actual address then arrives to find that to be false. The property was misrepresented, so why should the host keep any of the payment? 

Guests are taking a shot in the dark because the actual address is not given until after booking. Airbnb does nothing to ensure the hosts are representing truthfully.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Tara69

I don't think is this case your obliged to do anything, they did not turn up, so your guests are not covered by your "flexible cancelation policy".

• Cleaning fees are always refunded if the guest did not check in.
  • The Airbnb service fee is refundable (up to 3 times per year) if the guest cancels before the trip starts. If a guest books a reservation that overlaps with any part of an existing reservation, we won’t refund the Airbnb service fee if they decide to cancel.
  • Accommodation fees (the total nightly rate you're charged) are refundable in certain circumstances as outlined below.
  • If there is a complaint from either party, notice must be given to Airbnb within 24 hours of check-in.
  • Airbnb will mediate when necessary, and has the final say in all disputes.
  • A reservation is officially canceled when the guest clicks the cancellation button on the cancellation confirmation page, which they can find in Dashboard > Your Trips > Change or Cancel.
  • Cancellation policies may be superseded by the Guest Refund Policy, extenuating circumstances, or cancellations by Airbnb for any other reason permitted under the Terms of Service. Please review these exceptions.
  • Applicable taxes will be retained and remitted.

So, I’d sit tight and leave the ball in their court, make sure all your correspondence is using the AirBnb system to you your back.

I really think it’s disingenuous of them to even consider looking for a refund are you a doormat have you nothing better to do then wait around for them to arrive.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

To be honest in your situation I wouldn't offer them any additional refund, as they were so rude in not letting you know.

I would just message them on Airbnb. Say that it was disappointing to find they decided to stay elsewhere and didn't let you know until you contacted them to see where they were. Confirm that cancellations need to go through Airbnb and they will be refunded in line with your cancellation policy.

Then call Airbnb and alert them to what has happened and confirm that if the guest approaches them for a cancellation, it will be in line with your cancellation policy. When Airbnb sends the cancellation notice, they will ask you if you voluntarily want to give them an additional refund. Just say no.

Thanks so much for the guidance. I've been in touch with AirBnB and will do as you all say - ask the guest to cancel through ABnB .

(I hadn't realised visitors can cancel at such late notice!_

Many thanks for the help. If this is as bad as things get, I'll be doing well!

Tara

I had a no-show guest and did not offer any refunds because by not cancelling in a timely manner, she prevented anyone else from booking.  That, to my mind, is using my space whether she physically stayed or not.

Great advice! I would love to get and update on the outcome. 

I would change your policy to Moderate. They must cancel 5 full days in advance for a full refund and it gives you time to rebook.

I personally have changed my policy to Strict, finding that only five days out it was hard for me to refill the lost booking.

Tara69
Level 2
Galway, Ireland

Just to update on the outcome; I contacted the guest the morning after being on here, told them I had been on to AirBnB and that they could cancel and receive some refund. It was 2 days into their 'stay' at that stage, so they lost those 2 days, plus the following night. This was midway through the total stay, so I received roughly half my original total, which I was happy with.

The ABnB guy did say I could do nothing, in which case the guest would have got nothing as they didn't seem to know about the 'Cancel' policy, but it didn't sit right with me.

So, I have a lovely clean home, some family took the room and am happy with the outcome.

General point - I've read lots of negatives about the support from ABnB but have to say I find the customer service great. Between the community advice here (I read and search. Don't need to ask so much) and the 'formal' support, touch wood, I'm really happy with the whole ABB experience. My thanks!

Corren0
Level 2
Swindon, United Kingdom

It's has never happened to me but you should definitely keep an amount of it for the time you put in preparing the room/house. However you don't have to as she had not cancelled it.  

Connie68
Level 1
Nevada City, CA

Have them cancel the reservation; do not give them any money immediately. Once they cancel it opens up your booking possibilities. If you book, the you refund for those days, less 15% for your troubles.

could someone contact us on how to get started we e-mail but no response wedo not yet have an account set up please can some one help or we will cancel our airbnb. thanks

Carol690
Level 2
Perth, Australia

Hi, my guest and his wife has not shown up during the check in window today and his reservation is for 3 nights. What if he shows up later tonight or any other time during the reservation period. Am I obliged to let him stay? He has not replied to at least 4 messages that I'd sent him via the ABB portal prior today.

I need not not open the door since he never contacted me and he is past his check in window, right? Already I do not feel comfortable with them staying.  Please advise. Thank you. 

Colin-and-Joni0
Level 3
Interlochen, MI

I had guests no show up for their check in.  They did not answer my inquiry about if everything was ok about their travels here.  Did not show up on this the second day of the 3 booked.   How to proceed?

Any ideas fellow hosts?