Noise complaint by neighbor

Kelsey100
Level 1
Scottsdale, AZ

Noise complaint by neighbor

Hi All,

I have a single famiy home in Scottsdale, Arizona, that I have converted into a vacation rental. The house has been a rental for over a year now, and while I rarely encounter loud and disrespectful guests, it does happen from time to time. This is very upsetting to my neighbors, who are now doing everything they can to shut down my business, even though I have given them my personal cellphone number and encouraged them to contact the police if the noise is out of control. I have framed signs all over the home reminding guests to be quiet, the "quiet hours" are in my house rules/guidebook, and I text the guests upon check-in reminding them to keep quiet and be respectful of the neighbors. Despite all of these interventions, I still have guests that are very loud and distruptive to the neighborhood. Does anyone have suggestions for how I can further enforce the rules regarding noise? I really do feel bad for my neighbors and I want to do whatever I can to help keep things under control so that I can keep my business running. Any feedback is appreciated!

Thank you!

Kelsey

7 Replies 7
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Kelsey100, Since you have a group house, potentially every stay will have a party atmosphere. Everyone away together, a great time is had by all. Every night. I would not want to live next door to a group house because the noise is there all the time. Are you telling guests at the time of booking (and in the listing) about the noise restrictions? As in 8 bachelorettes agreeing to pipe down after 10 or whatever time you have set?

Giving hosts your number, good. Encouraging them to call police, not so great. They should not have to, I wouldn't want to. I would only  call them if I had an emergency. What actions do you take if neighbours call? Are you nearby or do you just call the guests?

Scottsdale host here as well.

I would post the city of Scottsdale fines in the part where the guests agree to pay the "fines" if they are imposed. Say the quiet hours are 9 PM and any noise complaints that result in fines that they would need to pay.

To handle the neighbor (if unreasonable), you are legally able to do what you want with your property, Scottsdale does have restrictions to a maximum 6 adults staying per house, so keep that in mind if you're hosting more than 6 adults. But I would explain this to the neighbors, if they are still impeding your business, I would hire an attorney to send them a cease and desist order or monetary lawsuit will be brought against them.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Presumably you have CCTV so you can monitor your guests @Kelsey100 

Do you get guests to confirm in writing that they agree to the noise restrictions you have put in place?

What do you do when you see there are guests who are noisy/exhibiting anti-social behaviour? 

Why do you feel having signs would make a difference? Anti-social guests aren't going to take any notice. 

You or your local co-host need to go down there and sort it out. You can't rely on your neighbours to act for you. Nor should they have to call the police.

Me too, how can we handle noise?? What does Airbnb do to help avoid complaints?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Well that’s really your business as a host to avoid complaints -  as its your listing - vetting, effective house rules, cctv and a host-co-host who takes a pro-active approach To problem guests  are what you need @Nic18 

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

My business partners and I have been fighting against disgraceful guests for years. There are something we can do but sometimes our power is limited. Personally I only list small units. The largest unit I list is one bedroom apartment. This basically got rid of almost all party possibilities so I don't have such issue at all. My business partners have whole house listings and it's TERRIBLE. They have encountered disgraceful guests sometimes (not too often but not occasional either). From the experiences we have here are the things I would suggest.

1. State the house rules clearly and heavily, in the house rules, and check in instructions. Give the guest the notice that breaching of the noise rule will result in immediate cancellation of the reservation and they will be kicked out, plus they will receive no refund.

2. Also put note of the rule around the entrance, or anywhere obviously noticeable to emphasize it.

3. Talk to the neighbors often and give them gifts. You are doing this as business so this is the necessary cost to maintain some relationship to keep your business going. Ask them to inform you in case of such incident and promise you will take immediate action. 

4. AVOID LOCAL GUESTS unless there's a valid reason, for example a family is finding place while their house under renovation. Those local people are most probably here to get together and have party.

Legally, you can ask the police to kick them out, given that you have to cancel the reservation and claim them to be trespassing. However in that way you will lose the income by default and have to deal with the mess after them. Monetary loss in exchange for neighbors happiness, your choice. On the other hand, if you don't cancel the reservation, police cannot kick them out since they have valid reservation so they have legal right to stay here. Airbnb cannot help too much either. You may contact Airbnb and ask them to do anything, but they can't get the guests out of your house physically either.

I am about to implement the following to deal with noise issues and welcome your comments.

STRICT NOISE POLICY APPLIES

if you cannto agree to these rules, please don’t book our house!

1. CCTV to external entrances

to deter/monitor how many people are in the house, this is in house rules and maximum guests listed, no visitors etc

2. Installation of remote controlled power from my phone. In the event of a noise complaint power will be switched off remotely until the issue is resolved. I will have the power switches zoned to enable outside lights off only for example. A call to the guest will be made. 

3. in the event of a noise complaint you may face immediate eviction without refund.

i know we are sounding like the gestapo, but we need more control and stricter measures, I’m hearing from the hosting community that many of you are at a loss as to how to handle noise issues, no one seems to have many solutions.

Im also aware there may be  legal implications of turning power off and welcome any comments on this. Bear in mind guests need to agree to house rules before booking ???