Not sure how to deal with a request to stay

Not sure how to deal with a request to stay

I've just started (a couple of weeks ago) as a host and so far, so good, I think. I've had a couple of requests from guests who have joined Airbnb recently who have no reviews and limited profile information or no pic of themselves. They're new to it and we all have to start somewhere, so I accepted. However, I've just had a request to stay from someone who has no reviews, no pic and very limited profile info who has been a member for 8 years. I'm a little confused why there's no activity and little profile for someone who's been a member for so long and it's ringing alarm bells. I would be keen to hear what more seasoned hosts think of this? Many thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Russell262 I get a lot of these and haven't had any problem. I suppose they created an account a while ago and just didn't use the platform much. It really depends on your own listing. I just rent out a guest apartment so don't have to worry about parties, as opposed to whole house rentals where host have to be a lot more vigilant.  

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Russell262 

The best thing to do when in doubt is ask the potential quest some questions !

Simply ask why there are no reviews.

"i noticed your profile has no etc.etc...  "

And i personally do not accept guests without having ID verified.

(but i give them the oppertunity to do it instantly)

BTW Besides the answers received from the guest: the way the guest is communicating also tells you a lot !

Thank you both for you for your valuable insight. I contacted the person politely asking for. more info and sometimes that's all it takes for them to open up and show you who they are. They sound like a nice family and I was happy to accept their request. Once again, your replies are appreciated. Thank you

@Russell262  Some guests, especially if they are new, don't understand that hosts want to read informative, polite messages from guests requesting to book. They act like they are booking a hotel room, they don't get it. 

Most of my guests have been seasoned Airbnbers and send appropriate request messages, but I've gotten ones that just say "Arriving at noon", or something equally not what I need to base an acceptance on.

Like you, I have found that when I message them back, asking some questions, they are forthcoming and start to "get it".

And Emilia's list of why guests would show long-time membership and no reviews, is right on. I've had almost all of those scenarios. I just say I'm curious as to why, and it has always been for a quite innocent and understandable reason. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Russell262 

I wrote this on another thread. I will repost here:

Some things to consider about someone who joined long ago and has no reviews:

- It is extremely easy to set up an Airbnb account. You need an account to access Airbnb beyond a very general search. For instance, you cannot see a host's profile or check availability unless you are logged in.  Creating an account is as easy as clicking "log in with Facebook." So someone like my mother has an Airbnb account although she has never stayed in one and probably never will. But 3 years from now, that could change.

- A guest could have made a reservation in the past but the host canceled. You would have no way of knowing. 

- A guest could have stayed with a host or multiple hosts who don't review. I know quite a few of these. 

- People have spouses and friends and other family members who are the ones making the reservations. Even though my boyfriend has accompanied me on many stays, not all reviews show up on his profile. I'm not sure why not.

- It extremely possible that someone signed up with the intention to travel but it simply never worked out.