Occupancy taxes in Boston

Occupancy taxes in Boston

Our best calculation is that airbnb is adding 14.5% to guest charges, as of approximately 5/10, and then reminitting that amount to the state on "our behalf." We calculate that the tax is 5.7% (state), 6.5% (city), and 3% (community impact) for a total of 15.2%. I would like to hear from other Boston hosts regarding their experiences and interpretation of these new regulations.

Thanks

Mary Carney 

2 Replies 2
Duncan75
Level 1
Boston, MA

As I understand it the taxes are

State 5.7%

City 6.5%

Community Impact 3.0%

Convention Center 2.75%

Total 17.95%

I've not had confirmation or reply to my email to ISD, which seems to have been left in charge - the tax office at city hall refers questions to ISD.  

I've also not been able to see what AirBnB has been collecting on my behalf; nor have I have communication from them regarding how monies remitted by them on my behalf will be recorded for my records; searches of tax rates quoted to prospective visitors have yielded a variety of rates and the number is always rounded to the nearest $

It's a hot mess as far as I can see and transparency is sadly lacking.....

Voyage0
Level 2
Boston, MA

Hi folks - is anyone else getting taxed for stays > 30 nights? The tax law is clear that stays < 30 nights are to be taxed, yet Airbnb is charging taxes for reservations > 30 nights. This is impactful to guests and hosts since they are overpaying by up to 17.95%. I raised this to customer support and they couldn't help me and pointed me to raise this to Airbnb in the feedback form. Not helpful so far.