MA Occupancy Tax

ChrisandDave0
Level 2
Plymouth, MA

MA Occupancy Tax

Hello MA hosts - I am Registering at MA TAX. Not easy. Sight asking me to file for last June, July, August even though ABB collected the Occupancy Tax for on my behalf? Anyone have any guidance on how to resolve? Help appreciated.

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@ChrisandDave0 

Your listing shows following taxes are being charged by Airbnb:

Room Occupancy Excise Tax (Wareham Township)
Accommodations Tax (Massachusetts)

So the amounts will be visible in your Transaction Hstory pages, as mentioned here under "how to check occupancy tax totals":

Hope this helps,
Emiel
Anne226
Level 4
Falmouth, MA

@ChrisandDave0 Hi. I registered today and also saw those return requests. Have you found out anything more on this? I was informed that license numbers are only displayed on Pro Host’s listings, those who manage 6 or more listings. 

Roswitha36
Level 1
Rockport, MA

Hello, MA Hosts! I have the same problem with the remittance of MA occupancy taxes. I registered with the Commonwealth of MA and entered the registration # they issued to my listing on the airbnb site. Airbnb collected occupancy taxes for me in July & August, nothing in September & October as we didn't have any rentals. The Commonwealth website keeps showing that I need to file a return for each month, so I tried to at least file zero for September and October, which did not work. I tried to contact airbnb but other than leaving feedback on the Help tab, I can't find how to chat with a representative even though I have done that in the past. I certainly don't want to get in trouble with the Commonwealth of MA lol. Help!!!!!

ChrisandDave0
Level 2
Plymouth, MA

I went through exact same thing. If you have Reg'd and loaded you certificate number you do NOT need to do anything else. I was told by MA TAX although the website says you need to file a monthly return you in fact can leave it blank. You should have received your Cert# and you will get notification in the mail as well. You need to post your written note on wall in your home. Hope that helps.

I FILED, AND YES IT WAS NOT EASY, I HOPE I DID IT CORRECTLY,  BUT I HAVEN'T RECEIVED A NOTICE IN THE  MAIL YET, HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE?

HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU DID THE FILING CORRECTLY? I HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANYTHING IN THE MAIL, AND I HAVEN'T GOTTEN ANY INQUIRIES FOR CLIENTS EITHER, WHICH I FIND A LITTLE STRANGE, ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED..., THANKS.

Voyage0
Level 2
Boston, MA

When I called Mass Tax Connect, they said the system will keep request filings but I only need to file if I book outside of Airbnb (or any other channel that collects and remits on my behalf). So if I make a direct booking then I would need file that amount only, since any bookings on Airbnb are covered by their filings.