Penalty for delayed arrive

Michela277
Level 2
Syracuse, Italy

Penalty for delayed arrive

Hello everyone!

Is there a way to set a monetary penalty if a guest arrives after the set hour?

I have a check in between 12:00 and 19:00 but a lot of guests are arriving a lot late, is there a way to set something like 20€ for late/early arrivals?

10 Replies 10
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Michela277  It is not a good idea to enforce a penalty for late checkin. 

You will easily get bad review if you enforce a penalty for late checkin.

Sorry late was not the right word, some guests asked me after everything was settled if it was possible to arrive at 22/24 :00 that is way over my comfort zone of check in, not for traffic or anything, just for their organization that didn't accounted my check in hours

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Michela277  I totally get it's super annoying to have to wait for guests arrival, but is it possible for you to instal a secure lock box ?

I personally would never book with a host who is punishing  me for late arrive because of my best efforts to arrive on time and you can never predict traffic, flight cancellations/delays...

Sorry late was not the right word, some guests asked me after everything was settled if it was possible to arrive at 22/24 :00 that is way over my comfort zone of check in, not for traffic or anything, just for their organization that didn't accounted my check in hours

Saying that, a secure lock is something that we are thinking about but not anytime soon, naturally if the time is delayed for something that it's not their fault I would put the penalty, I'm talking about people who book without thinking of my check in schedule 

Romana19
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

Bohužel se s tím nedá nic dělat,hosté totiž mají dojem,že není lepší zábava,než na ně čekat.Dala jsem do pokynů,že mimo určenou dobu jen ve vyjímečných případech,např.při zpoždění letadla nebo vlaku.To je vyšší moc.Jsem zvědává,jestli to pomůže,ale někdy mám dojem,že pokyny nikdo nečte.😢

@Michela277 

I think it is right to have a fee for later check-in. Only your check-in time is too short - make it at least 10 p.m. and ask a fee not more than 7 euro. And the fee will also depends on your check-out time. In hotels there is half price for earlier check-in, no price for later check-in, but there full salary is paid for at least two persons to stay at the counter. I put a price for later check-in after 11 p.m. and since then nobody arrived later than 11.30 p.m. Before that many guests arrived at 2 a.m., 3 a.m., 4 a.m. - and then asked to stay 2-3 hours more, because they booked just for a day... and stayed so little time...

Thank you for your response! That is really helpful, I'll think about what you said!

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Michela277 

Hosts make these type check-in options available in their House Rules.

You can state what your check-in times are and then state that late check-in can be made by prior arrangement only and the fee would be 20€.

Because this is by prior arrangement the 20€ can be applied as a payment request.

The check-in hours are already stated, but I never thought to put the fee in the house rules! Thank you!

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Michela277, if you put it in your house rules be sure that they have read and agreed with extra fee. At least less reasons to complain. 

In my case it is exactly the opposite. I accept only late arrivals. And surprise: nearly every day I get someone who wants to arrive 4-12 hours earlier. Where is their head? Some even use IB! Do not want to host people that are clearly not reading. Even the title. I will not charge them, I just refuse to accept such demanding guests.