Potential Scam through AIrbnb messgaes

Chris870
Level 2
New Waterford, Canada

Potential Scam through AIrbnb messgaes

I just received an inquiry from a guest that joined Airbnb in the last 7 days. The message stated that I had multiple listing on Airbnb with different price options. They sent a link through messages (which I did not think you could do until the booking was confirmed) which was supposed to be the link to the second listing. I did not accept the booking, confirmed with Airbnb that there was only one listing for my property and reported it to Airbnb as I believe the link was a scam. Airbnb support said they could not investigate as the booking was not confirmed. I did report the incident through the automated report feature and blocked the guest. Other hosts should be aware of this possible scam!!

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Chris870  Yes, this scam is one of the ones that has been reported here before, but another alert is always useful.

Apparently what happens with this scam is that if you click on the link, the scammer somehow gets access to your account and can change things and reroute payments to themselves.

So if you did click on the link, make sure to check all your account info and change your password.

As per usual, you got some clueless CS rep. Of course they can investigate. They can certainly close the scammer's account.

Thanks for the reply Sarah.

Chrs