Rating and Reviews Calculation

in
Bengaluru, India
Level 1

Hi, 

I have 21 reviews with 4.2 average rating, How many 5 star reviews would it take to bring my profile to 4.8?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
7 Replies

Re: Rating and Reviews Calculation

in
СПБ, Russia
Level 10

@Sarah528 

63 in a row.

PaddyPower is offering 500-1 on this though, but good luck.

in
San Diego, CA
Level 8

I have a 5.0 with 26 reviews then got my first 4.8. It still shows 5.0 though over all. How many dings does it take to lower it? Not that I want it but I wanna prevent it. 

in
Sayulita, Mexico
Level 10

@David7870  You can't get a 4.8 rating from a guest. Star ratings are only whole numbers. Where did you come up with the 4.8?

If you averaged out the star ratings they gave you in each category, that's not how it works. Only the separate Overall rating is what Airbnb uses to calculate your listing rating.

in
San Diego, CA
Level 8

Oh I guess it wasn’t a 4.8. It was a five in everything but a 4 in one area only. All the other reviews were a 5 in everything.  

Assuming not all are 5 stars for everything all the time, at what point does it go down? 

in
Sayulita, Mexico
Level 10

@David7870  The only rating that Airbnb uses for your listing rating is the "Overall" rating,  which is a rating unto itself that guests mark.

You could have a 4* , or whatever, average rating in each of the other individual categories, like cleanliness, communication, etc, but those don't enter into it. As long as you keep up at least a 4.8 average rating on the Overall rating the guests give, you retain Superhost.

It seems weird, that they wouldn't average the other ratings to arrive at an overall score, but that's how it is.

If a guest gives a 4* Overall rating, you'd see your listing rating go down right away.

in
San Diego, CA
Level 8

Thank you!!  

in
South Pasadena, CA
Level 2

I currently have a 4.8 overall.  The last 5 or so reviews have given me all 5 stars.  When does that get taken into account?  Meaning, how many 5 stars do I need to get from the guest, to bump my overall to 5 star?  It appears the guests still book with that rating, but it still bugs me.  One guest gave me 4 stars all around when nothing was wrong.  I asked why she did that and said "I don't rate anything 5 star"  WTF?