Refund for a last minute guest cancellation

Kristin1187
Level 1
Santa Rosa, CA

Refund for a last minute guest cancellation

I recently had a guest cancel after their check in stating that their work arrangements changed, but requested a full refund. I was going to refund them except for the $ to pay the property manager. Though it looks like Airbnb decided to take it upon themselves to pay out $11/night instead of $65/night. This isn't very different from what we were going to do anyway, but can someone help me understand Airbnb's cancellation policy? As I understood it, she had a "flexible" cancellation window, yet waited until zero hour to cancel, so is she entitled to a refund? 

13 Replies 13
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Kristin1187

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/475/cancellation-policies-for-your-listing

It’s generally not a good idea to refund a guest, as Airbnb handles that. They may end up over refunded. 

Guests are refunded according to whichever cancellation policy you chose for your listing. As a new host, it’s important that you be well informed on how things work. Do spend some time reading articles on hosting in Airbnb help pages and posts here in the community center.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Colleen253 Except there's a big hole in the explanation of the flexible policy.

Flexible

• Guests can cancel until 24 hours before check-in for a full refund, and you won’t be paid
  • If they cancel after that, you’ll be paid for each night they stay, plus 1 additional night.

So what about this host's situation? The guest didn't cancel 24 hours before check-in, and didn't "stay" the night. What is she entitled to in this case? That isn't at all explained.

@Kristin1187  It isn't to your benefit to have a flexible policy- that policy is only really okay for hosts who get lots of last minute, probably one or two night bookings that might fill a cancellation, or Airbnb is just a little sideline for them and they don't really care.

Moderate policy is better, so you don't get left in the lurch, cleaning and preparing for nothing.

@Sarah977 I don’t know the fine details of @Kristin1187‘s situation, as all she said was the guest cancelled after check in. What I wanted her to know was that refunds are automatically processed by Airbnb, according to the chosen cancellation policy. Many new hosts are unaware.

Ah ok this sheds some light on the situation. I wish airbnbs payout made this more clear instead of making it look like they were charging her for 11 nights at $11 each.

@Kristin1187  Yep, they charged her for 2 nights, I guess, which is correct according to the flexible policy. Even though it shouldn't say "you'll be paid for each night they stay..." , which isn't correct- they could cancel an hour after checking in. But Airbnb is notorious for confusing or ambiguous wording.

Ben4128
Level 2
Yakima, WA

I had my first 'no show' on a booking that would start Mon-Mon for 7 days.  They are provided self check in.  On Wednesday night I received an AirBnb message from the renter that they have ran into family member health issues and couldn't come as planned.  She said she understood my cancelation policy and asked if I could increase her refund.  I went ahead and canceled her stay from Thursday to Monday to open the apartment back up and try to recoup my prime time weekend stays.  Thoughts?

@Ben4128 You’ve done exactly what you should do (except cancelling for a guest…always make sure you have them do it themselves). Now reassure the guest that you will be happy to refund them any portion of their abandoned dates that you are able to re book.

@Colleen253 Thanks, I should have had them cancel rather than do it on my end.  I was just trying to be fair and learn on the fly.  Would I refund them, or does AirBnB handle this from their end?

@Ben4128 If you cancel from your side it is seen as a host cancellation and the guest is giving a full refund. Airbnb will block the dates and in most cases penalize you - a message is put on your profile saying that you cancelled out on a guest reservation and you will have to pay a fee of $50-$100. If a guest cancels - the guest will automatically get refunded according to your cancellation policy and the dates on your calender will open up so someone new can book. So never ever 'help' a guest cancel. Guests must always cancel from their side if they can't make it. Contact airbnb now - they can help you - they can read what you and your guest discused in the message feed and open up your calender. 

Thanks much Sandra!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ben4128 If you cancelled then it is likely the dates are now blocked. Have you checked them?

Thanks for the inquiry.  I did cancel and since she accepted on her in, the dates were open back up and I already have a weekend booking.  Thanks, I am advised that I should have had her cancel and me accept, but it looks like it is going to work out.  Now I'm not sure how to give her a rating since she never entered the actual apartment but didn't advise of her cancelation until Wednesday night?  I want to be fair as she has all 5 star reviews but don't know how to go about rating a 'no show'?

@Ben4128  You don't have to leave a review. If I had a no show, I would send them a message - "Hi XX, as your booking was cancelled after the check-in date, we will both likely receive a notification to review (the automated system  assumes the guest showed up). I don't plan to rate or review you, as I have nothing on which to honestly base that, and assume you will ignore the review prompts as well."

Then, if you don't get any notification that she's left a review, forget about it.