Review for last minute cancellation

John1975
Level 2
Lock Haven, PA

Review for last minute cancellation

Hi,

I had a guest send me a message they were cancelling their stay with me 2 hours before they were to check in. They said they didn't expect a refund because of the late notice. My question is since they didn't cancel through AirBnB, AirBnB is asking me to review the guest. Should I just ignore the request to review them? Thank you.

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@John1975 

If there has been no cancellation, the platform acts as if the guest has stayed (also the guest is invited to leave a review). Maybe both of you better ignore it.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@John1975 

I agree with @Emiel1  but if your guest leaves a review then it would be a good idea to write something like: 

"Unfortunately we didn't have the pleasure to host the guest XX because his plans changed at the last minute and he  informed us he will not be able to come. "

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@John1975, the odd time that has happened to me, I write to the guest something like:

"I see we are being prompted to review each other. But since you were unable to come, we are to ignore that. Reviews must reflect the user experience, and we have no experience of each other's cleanliness, etc. Do come back another time, and we can review each other then! Take care."

Will that work for you?

@Lawrene0  it can work with normal guests, but those who expect the refund and don't get it will sometimes write a retaliatory review. In this case it's a good idea if you also write a review and say you never hosted him.

Fortunately, this guest of @John1975 seems to be reasonable.

Oh, I agree, @Branka-and-Silvia0 . I always assume they will be reasonable, and they often are. If they were to insist upon writing a review anyway, I would go with your Plan B. 🙂

John1975
Level 2
Lock Haven, PA

Thank you. All great ideas. We have only been doing this since last Sept and didn't want to get a bad review for something out of our control after having great ones thus far.