Tahoe fire: would a refund be provided if area is under recommended evacuation

Tahoe fire: would a refund be provided if area is under recommended evacuation

We are staying in South Lake Tahoe soon and are wondering if we will be able to get a refund if the area is under a recommended evacuation due to the Caldor Fire. Is this covered under the extenuating circumstances policy?

6 Replies 6

We are having the same problem.  AirBnB and the property manager refuse to do anything.  I can't believe how poor the customer service is.  Have you had any luck?

Pamela853
Level 5
Occidental, CA

Hi, I had read that Airbnb has now added the Caldor fire to extenuating circumstances (allowing full refunds), at least in California. And if an area is either under an evacuation zone or warning area, I cant imagine you would not be able to get a refund. I'd advise reaching out to the host first and see if they would consider rescheduling your stay. As a host, I have a personal policy that if conditions can't ensure a guest is going to get the experience advertised when they booked, I offer a 100% refund, or reschedule, as the guest prefers. I think there are many hosts out there that operate in a similar manner; it just feels like the right thing to do. You go to Tahoe to recreate outdoors, not sit inside a house in the middle of an unfolding natural disaster. I'm so sorry, and can't imagine there aren't many others in exactly the position you are in. I think guests need to speak up, contact airbnb; I feel there need to be policy changes to protect guests from losing deposits (which can be substantial in high demand vacation areas) when the cancellation isn't because of a personal choice, but rather an extreme environmental condition that could compromise their health during a stay. If a refund is hard for a host, then at the very least a credit for a future stay should be given.

Am so sorry you are experiencing this, I hope it gets resolved!

Hello Pamela, where did you read this? I am in California, tried to cancel due to extenuating circumstances and I'm not getting a refund. I asked my host for a reschedule and they are refusing to collaborate. I called Airbnb and they're not doing anything, they contacted the host and since the host isn't replying to their messages or answering their phones, they said they just have to uphold the refund policy. I can't believe people can be so terrible.

Cheryl770
Level 1
Sacramento, CA

Hi, Same thing happened to me. I called to ask about cancelling and was told I’d owe all of the $, unless the host could rebook. I talked to Airbnb and the host. We went up( because air cleared day before) and we’re miserable. The air quality in the house was so bad, we were coughing and sneezing and couldn’t sleep.  Roads closed and events were cancelled and then the forest closed etc. This was 8/19, so we really didn’t understand or know that this was going to be the worst fires to hit Tahoe yet. We left asap and asked the host for a one night refund ( our reservation was for 3 nights). I felt bad for her too, so only asked for 1 night, no fee refund etc. She got irritated, said I was trying to extort her and ended up offering half off a future night, which, of course, I’ll never use. Good luck everyone and I wish all hosts were like Pamela, reasonable and care about customer service:-) 

Cheryl770
Level 1
Sacramento, CA

Update- I tried contacting Airbnb one more time and was given a full refund. I am very appreciative. Good luck to those seeking refunds and to all of the property owners. 

Can I ask where your AirBNB was located?