Arrived with extra guest and states they cannot pay extra

Answered!
Kerry34
Level 2
Chgo, IL

Arrived with extra guest and states they cannot pay extra

Hello- My current guest stated there would be two people and arrived with three (the extra is a child who appears to be under 5). Originally my guest booked for one person. Later she mentioned her brother would arrive before her, and I switched the reservation for 2 people. I met them for the first time this evening at 11:00 and there was an additional child who was sleeping on their guest bed. When I noted the sleeping child on the bed, they said they booked the home for two people due to language barriers (yet they already switched the reservation once). They then said they did not have enough money to pay extra. I have told them that I would contact Airbnb about how to handle the situation.

I am hoping to have an Airbnb representative help to moderate. This entire situation makes me very uncomfortable. I feel it may be best for them to find accommodation elsewhere. While my home does have room for 3 people this feels manipulative especially because the person who booked this trip is a host in her home country. She should be well aware of the booking process. I;ve never had such an issue before and as a Superhost have received high ratings from my many previous guests. Thank you for your help.

1 Best Answer
Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

be firm, dont be a doormat

View Best Answer in original post

38 Replies 38
Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

be firm, dont be a doormat

Hi Diane- I totally agree. This is not something I'm willing to let pass. 

@Kerry34  Quick question.  I was reading your beautiul reviews and was wondering if your latest guest ROBERTO actually stayed with you?  I noticed his wonderful review said that he booked your place for HIS sister and mom.  I just got a similar request today from another ABB host who wanted to book my home for her son and his friend.  I explained to her that 3rd party bookings are not allowed.  She got really upset and wrote me a mean message back.  I explained that if she is truly an ABB host, then she should know that this is against the terms and conditions of ABB.  She told me another host accepted it in the past. I asked her to have her son sign up for ABB and complete his own profile but her response was so awful that I declined and immediately wrote to ABB asking them to send her the policy of about 3rd party bookings.  ABB agreed she was 100% wrong to send me this request since she was not coming.

Thanks in advance for answering my question.  I hope you got my private message on how to contact ABB since you need to with this latest situation. Stick your guns....this is your home. Let us know what happens.  Wishing you all the best..... 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

I have this problem all the time. I had one lady pay for 2 guest my policy is you must have a minimum of 3 to book full house. Do you know she bought in about 2 basketball teams of people complaining about it was hot I guess so. They broke my kitchen sink and broke a shelf in my greezer. How can you be so inconsiderate oh and she came 1 o'clock in the morning and she used my washer and dryer.

Hi there- here is an update. At 7:00 am on Sunday morning I called Airbnb and spoke with Keny. I was pleased to speak with a "real person" immediately. I explained my situation and stated I was not comfortable having the reservation continue. She was supportive of this and worked to cancel the reservation and change my payout for one night. Because Airbnb made these changes my Superhost rating will not be impacted (phew!).

Keny tried to call my guest but the phone number did not work. Keny emailed my guest instead. It is currently close to 9 am and I have spoken with my guest. She feels that I am reacting strongly by not allowing the child to stay for free and she feels that a language barrier (her native language is Spanish and while I feel her English is quite good it's always hard speaking in a non-native language) has not helped the situation. My guest is now speaking with Airbnb about a new location. While it is a very awkward situation I am hopeful that they will be on their way soon and I can take a deep breath (and a nap- I didn't sleep at all last night!). 

@Momi0- You asked about a third person booking for someone else. I am sure you are correct that this is a no-no with Airbnb rules, although I have done it before. Usually it is when a person in my neighborhood books for their parents to stay. I have not had a problem with this in the past (and hope I wasn't rule-breaking!) but completely understand if it is out of your comfort zone. 

@Kerry34 I am glad to see that you stick to the rule firmly. When there are more hosts who stick with the rules firmly, the less chance of a rule-broken guest we will receive in the future. Just wonder what review you received afterwards from the guest. AirBnb review system has such a shortcoming that both guests and hosts still can write reviews for any cancelled reservations on the checkin day or anytime before checkout. Some hosts are afraid of getting a negative review and often compromise with such guests.

Hi Mike- Because Airbnb cancelled this stay, I couldn't review them and they couldn't review me. This also happened over two years ago so perhaps their policy has changed. While I appreciated that I couldn't get a poor review, she also diod not get a poor review. I wished that the guest's review would warn future hosts of possible problems. 

I would def ask Airbnb to flag her profile. Some people accept but she can have her account suspended if she continues to do that. Also, why not referring and getting credit? haha

I am surprise for this discussion because I am experiencing the same thing right now. I have told my guest that the room is for max 2 . I don't know if they get it but I am about to contact Airbnb
Louise47
Level 10
Maroochydore, Australia

Yes I think people are learning to take advantage of us and try it every time.. This is not something they would get away with at a hotel

Kerry34
Level 2
Chgo, IL

I'm currently in conversation with Airbnb about how to handle the situation. I'll keep you posted!

Alina21
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Did you receive an advise from Airbnb?
I had similar situation, room was booked for one person ( girl) by her mum. Then they told me due to circumstances mum needs to stay for 1-2-3 nights , and they pay extra as required . I only learned last minute about their plans
I wanted to be flexible to accommodate them. I waited until their arrival to find out how they want to sleep ( I have sofa ( for 2 people )and bed ( for one ), so I didn't make beds. We couldn't discuss this in advance
Turned out she left me bad review criticising me and accommodation
May be because I asked her to pay for extra person per night ???
I wasn't not happy with this attitude.

@Alina21

Hi I wanted to address a few things you wrote about. 

Are you aware that her mum cannot book your place for her daughter UNLESS she does stay there too?  This would have been considered a 3rd party booking which is not allowed!!  The person booking your place NEEDS to be staying there too.  Sadly, many hosts don't understand all the terms and conditions of Airbnb because they havent' read everything. I want to encourage you to read everything you can about hosting especially what is allowed and what is not.

I am sorry that you had a bad experience, but try to have an ongoing chat with the guests prior to accepting their booking. I just had another host reach out to me via Instagram to say that she is now taking my advice and having lengthly conversations with guests prior to accepting the bookings to make sure they will be a great fit. She had to learn the hard way that lesson.   She took a booking without any chat and they ended up leaving 2 hours after their check in and reported her to Airbnb.  She had done nothing wrong, but she later found out that the guests had NOT read the listing correctly. I reminded her to have a conversation with every guests to ask them did they read the entire listing.  I do this with every guests.  That way there are no surprises about cat litter box which was the issue with this host. 

If you are not comfortable with a guests upon their arrival, you should call ABB immediately to help find the guests an alternative place to stay.  This is your home, stick to your guns and don't do anything that upsets you IN YOUR HOME.  If they were willing to pay exta, did you write them explaining the listing accommodations and to make sure they were ok with it prior to their arrival?

Have alot of conversations, its a great way to get a good feel about what type of guests they will be.  Today I declined an ABB host because she was not willing to follow my very clear instructions that are written in my House Rules section.  I have my standards, and I am not willing to compromise for anyone.  Its that simple. 

You did the right thing by asking for extra pay.  I read it in your listing about the extra charge should a 2nd person be coming.  My listing also states all charges for extra people which includes children by age too.  I am very specific about this in my listing which just requires everyone to read.  And I always ask them....DID YOU READ MY ENTIRE LISTING?  I only ask that after I have properly thanked them for choosing our home to stay in.  🙂

*** I just read your response to her.  You wrote exactly what you needed.  Good job. But keep in mind, that public responses cant' be read on the ABB mobile app which most people use.  Hope ABB fixes that soon.**

Exciting news...I just accepted my first booking from an Airbnb employee from California, so I am looking foward to hosting him and his girlfriend next month...the conversations between us should be interesting during their stay.  Can't wait. 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Alina21
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thank you for encouraging response
My account include £££ extra per person per night
I also recently updated my rules.. Will make it a habit to review them more often from now

Good luck with hosting
Alina