Not Getting Paid Out

Christina978
Level 2
New York, US

Not Getting Paid Out

I have been reading story after story here about hosts not getting paid out.  It is Christmas week and I have not been paid in a week post check in of the guest on 12/22.  I have been calling multiple times per day as it has really ruined my holidays having this planned income withheld.  I keep getting the same scripted responses: 

1. "there's a technical issue, your guest updated their number of guests" - meanwhile my listing isn't variable on number of guests until is goes above 6.  this party is of 5.

2.  "It has been resolved, you will be paid out within 24-48 hours" (complete lie)

3.  "your case manage is looking at it as we speak, I can see that he is in there". (another scripted lie, as he has been looking at it not stop for days yet can't call me or return my messages?  What's the priority here?)

I have added a new payment method in the case it's a hang up with the default, still nothing.

I am so furious and really can't take this - has anyone had success in calling in a housing authority or law inforcement?  IT IS THEFT.

18 Replies 18
Laura4050
Level 2
Salt Springs, FL

Christina, 

Have you gotten paid yet? I've been talking to people on facebook who claim they are waiting up to and more than a month to get paid. I myself have been waiting 6 days now since a guest checked out, and this is the first time it's happened to me in 8 months since I started. I cant understand why they cant figure this out and pay us since they have obviously gotten paid from out guests. 

Yes, I was finally paid on day 15.  I hope it happens quickly for you.

Same here. Have someone instant booked my property for three months.. and no payment yet.  What is going on? I spoke to my guest and they were already charged. 
please advise as to what to do. 

Christina978
Level 2
New York, US

It is really unacceptable.  I was paid on day 15 or 16.  And they over paid me...but won't consider the bank fees of over $275 caused by the fiasco.

Glad to hear you got paid (eventually) @Christina978, but you raise a very important point that people don't take into consideration, and that's the associated bank fees, charges and penalties (and the hassle of aorting everything out) that the hosts then get stung for when their earnings aren't deposited in their accounts in a timely manner, to meet their own financial obligations and outgoings. 

Christina978
Level 2
New York, US

Yes, I feel like there is class action suit brewing and I'd join in if I found one that seemed legit.

@Christina978 

Unfortunately, US users are prohibited from bringing a Class Action suit against Airbnb, and on signing up to the T&Cs, you agree to binding arbitration only (although it is possible to pursue a claim through the small claims court. 

(The convoluted wording on the T&Cs gives the impression that mandatory arbitration is the only option in other jurisdictions too, although thats not actually the case)

Please note: Section 19 of these Terms contains an arbitration clause and class action waiver that applies to all Airbnb Members. If your country of residence is the United States, this provision applies to all disputes with Airbnb. If your country of residence is outside of the United States, this provision applies to any action you bring against Airbnb in the United States. It affects how disputes with Airbnb are resolved. By accepting these Terms, you agree to be bound by this arbitration clause and class action waiver. Please read it carefully.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Just as an example, here's a case of a successful Class Action suit (re deceptive pricing), that was taken against Airbnb in Quebec, which concluded in October

Quebec Class Action Suit Authorised To Settle Over Airbnb Service Fees

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/quebec-class-action-suit-authorized-to-settle-over-airbn...

The Settlement Class - 

Every person residing in Quebec, who between August 22nd, 2014 and June 26th, 2019, while located in the province of Quebec, made a booking for anywhere in the world, for a purpose other than business travel, using Airbnb’s websites and/or mobile application and who paid a price higher than the price initially advertised by Airbnb (excluding the QST or the GST).

https://www.velvetpayments.com/airbnb

I am having a similar problem... 

I was supposed to receive my 1st pay out on the 6th... It's now 10 days later and I am just getting jerked around between the customer care of my bank who say they see no pending payment and the air bnb saying that I must speak to my bank. 

This has taken so much of my time. I find it very unfair & unprofessional... It is not my mistake. I have provided correct bank details. What can be so difficult? 

Kelly-And-Laura0
Level 1
Flower Mound, TX

I have not been paid out from a reservation that took place on December 11th.  I started calling on December 23rd.  I have talked to at least 10 agents over the past three weeks.  They all tell me that it is a technical issue and it will be resolved shortly.  I have received little to no feedback from Airbnb and there has been no solution to this issue.  If anyone has any ideas on who I can contact to help me resolve this issue I would really appreciate it.  I have a mortgage and bills to pay.  I can't believe this cannot get resolved.  Please Help!

It took them 2 weeks to sort mine out then over paid and asked for that back.  Meanwhile I incurred $275 of overdraw fees from my account...they do nothing about.  They are creeps stop using them.

Carol5346
Level 2
Winchester, CA

I just realized that I have not been paid for a recent stay.  Airbnb owes me 354.05 USD.   They didn't bother to call me to tell me there was an issue.  I noticed and called them proactively.   It's a week overdue.  On the call with Airbnb I expressed that my contract is with Airbnb and not the customer.  They told me the  customer had a payment issue.  I told them that was not my problem.  If I had to chase down customers to get payment, I would not be hosting on Airbnb.  I'm a superhost with 120 reviews and all 5 star ratings.  It's very disappointing to know that if a customer has a payment issue, they would still be allowed to check in, complete a 3 night stay with me, and then leave, all without me getting paid.  Ugh.  Very disappointed.  

Christina978
Level 2
New York, US

That is true.  You not getting paid is not your issue.  Airbnb is supposed to get payment in full upon reservation.  They then hold the funds for 24 hours post checkin.  It is on them.  However, I believe Airbnb is a sham and should. be boycotted.  Move on to a better hosting site...