The City Of Saint Petersburg

Laura1374
Level 1
Saint Petersburg, FL

The City Of Saint Petersburg

The city is forcing me to stop, I’ve been reading that the state of Florida is making advances in allowing short term rentals, does anyone know more about this?

46 Replies 46
Bacem1
Level 2
Apollo Beach, FL

Someone named Laura *** has reported over 50 airbnbs in st pete at least since this summer including mine. Not sure how she gets the address and how fair this is as no beighbour have ever complained and we keep our house clean and neat and the lawn well taking care of . Now I can only 30 days minimum. Will love to hear how everyone else that received the notice have approach this.

**[Name hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

Mason72
Level 1
null

I believe she is with Alto Asset Company 2 LLC that owns 25 LTR's in Pinellas county, so makes sense as to why her/they would be doing this. 

Brandon661
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

Did you have a picture of the front of your house on airbnb?

It’s insane the city just takes her word for it and i had to cancel over a year of bookings.

Brandon661
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

I had to cease operating, you can’t fight City hall and i cant hide The more than three reviews in a month. Had to put it up for long term rental, cost me roughly 4k a month in missed revenue,  shed a real whipper snapper.

Had to fire my cleaners. 

Tonga3
Level 1
Brookfield, WI

These stories about STR restrictions in St Petersburg are really worrisome!! Do these restrictions still apply if home is in unincorporated part of city?

I am hoping to start short term rental in St Petersburg

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

They aren't stories @Tonga3 There  has been STR legislation in your city for some time.

You need to visit the STR page on your local government website to understand how these regulation may affect your property and whether your area is affected by the restrictions

Kevin2448
Level 1
Irvine, CA

Has anybody had luck in St Pete booking 30-31 day minimum stays on airbnb? I just bought a home in Shore Acres and was hoping to eventually host short-term rentals on AirBnB..... and  now realizing these strict rules exist. Generally curious if 30+ day rental listings are filling up? 

Miguel-and-Kara0
Level 2
Florida, United States

We tried Airbnb 30 day listing for a few months. Also tried a vacation rental company that posted on all the sites. We had a few bookings, but 6 month furnished rental ended up being better for us because there was no lag time between bookings we had to worry about. Mid term rentals can definitely work, but we just had a hard time connecting with the type of people looking for that, ie traveling nurses, etc. despite my contacting all the hospitals. We loved being hosts but super thankful we found something that worked. 

Miguel-and-Kara0
Level 2
Florida, United States

There was also the concern that you don't have any signed lease with 30 day stay guests on Airbnb. We just had to make sure our renters were OK with paying through airbnb but ok to sign a lease in person because anyone who stays 30+ days has tenant rights. Maybe there's a way to work around this by adding a home rule they must agree to?

Jennifer3245
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

About to start Airbnbing my home in st Pete in the next couple weeks so joining this thread. Plan to follow the rules of 30 day minimum stays and utilize the 2 exceptions per year. Wondering when this rule will change or if there are ways around it. I’ll definitely add the comment John mentions to the listing

Kevin2448
Level 1
Irvine, CA

How has this been going? 

Dan15870
Level 2
Bradenton, FL

so nothing less then 30 days is not allowed in st petersburg?

Jennifer3245
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

correct, with 3 exceptions within a 365 period 

Michelle403
Level 2
St Pete Beach, FL

I’ve lived on St. Pete. Beach since 1979. Our house has been paid for since the mid 80’s and we’ve always welcomed guests into our small in-law unit. Mostly as a run off from a motel my parents owned and then sold when they retired. When Airbnb appeared in the scene, we were happy to open our doors to others as well.

Our guests love the old fashioned feeling of our clothesline for their swimsuits, our outside shower for after the beach, our library with over 50 Florida and Gulf Coast specific titles, the fruit trees and flowers in our yard, and our personable and welcoming knowledge of the area and it’s history. Many of them comment that this is the Florida they remember from their childhoods when they’d come visit their grandparents.

It’s not just a room, but an experience that we provide and now the city is trying to shut me down and is threatening me with a $250 daily fine. It’s my only income - my only livelihood and the visitors have been a blessing in my life. I’m devastated and don’t know what I will do now, financially. This has been my home for decades and without my Airbnb income I’ll be forced to sell my longtime home.

How can the city dictate who I bring into my 3rd bedroom? I don't believe they can.

I have guests who come year after year - as much for me and my knowledge as for the room. Not everyone wants the big, loud, overpriced, overcrowded and impersonal experience that all the hotels on Gulf Blvd. provide. I remember days of family-friendly themed hotels at the beach, back in the days of the Aquatarium and the wax museum... However, these days it’s all bars, bars, and more bars. The beach has changed, and not for the better. There are many people who want to avoid the “Spring Break” vibe that is now prevalent on this beach. Drunks are all over the place, day and night, and many travelers don’t want to see or experience that kind of tourism. There are still those who appreciate quiet, calm, and privacy.

I fill a niche which obviously people want. I pay my taxes and have never had a single complaint from my neighbors. I’ve welcomed guests into my home for years and now the city wants to shut me down. They’re economically murdering me by taking away my only source of income. How can this be allowed...?

I did not purchase my property as an "investment" and once again, I live here full time - I am just renting a bedroom and bathroom in my private home. AirBnB has been collecting and paying the tourist tax. I rely on earnings from my short-term rental to allow me to work from home. I've heard about HR 219, which states that over the last several years, local governments have attempted to restrict or outright ban vacation rentals — and it's in violation of Florida state law. A fundamental principle in America is private-property rights, and people who want to use properties as affordable housing can do so if they choose.

So what do I tell my local city code enforcement when I go to the hearing? Can they fine me or shut me down? I can't afford a lawyer, but state law says the city cannot shut me down.

Help! 

Gabriela1106
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

How did it turn out?

Eric5279
Level 1
St. Petersburg, FL

@Michelle403 What’s the update on this?

JD29
Level 4
Titusville, FL

@Michelle403 

Sorry to hear what you are going through. I would recommend to talk to our lawyer. He is in Orlando, pro-Airbnb and represented us against the city the second time. Let me know and I'll give you his contact info.

Molly423
Level 2
St Pete Beach, FL

Hi there,

I'd definitely be interested in speaking with your lawyer as well.

Thank you! 

Randell7
Level 2
null

Hi could you provide the lawyer contact info? 

Jeffrey516
Level 2
null

Can you send me your lawyer contact. 

Explore Resource Center articles

Making your home ready for guests
Tips from Airbnb plus hosts: How to add thoughtful touches
Supporting guests during their stay