[Updated: March 13th] Coronavirus outbreak: Information on Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy coverage

Airbnb
Official Account

[Updated: March 13th] Coronavirus outbreak: Information on Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy coverage

Last updated: March 13th, 2020

As more information about the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak becomes available, Airbnb continues to prioritize the safety and well-being of our community of hosts, guests and employees around the world. 

As this situation evolves, we strongly urge you to review your local government’s travel guidance and health advisories and take necessary precautions to protect yourself and your guests when hosting or traveling. 

Following governmental and health authorities guidance and recommendations, Airbnb is offering impacted hosts and guests with eligible reservations the option to cancel their reservations without charges through our extenuating circumstances policy. We’ll continue to evaluate and update this policy in line with official guidance. 

Airbnb understands that you may have concerns, and we’d like to encourage impacted hosts and guests to reach out to our customer support team (https://www.airbnb.com/help/home) with questions or to get help with canceling reservations.

More details about our extenuating circumstances policy can be found here

Read the FAQs here: Answers to your hosting questions about coronavirus

306 Replies 306

Update, I followed up with Airbnb and they have resolved this issue for me. A great result that has restored my faith in the system somewhat. I guess this situation is a work in progress for everyone. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great to hear this @Elizabeth1100 and thank you for coming back and updating us here.

Yeah, I think you are right, it is certainly a situation with so many variations and complexities all moving at the same time. Thank you for staying with us on this one. 

All the best with your future hosting and happier times ahead. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Eliz, I'm facing the same issues - the cancellation with full refund for the guests travelling from China. It's against my cancellation policy with 50% refund. Can you share what had resolved by Airbnb? Thank you

Hi Elizabeth 

Please could you assist me on where you followed up. My host is refusing to refund my full payment for my accommodation in Barcelona . I was going for the GSM conference that was cancelled

Regards

Barry

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Barry297 

This is something you would need to claim against your travel insurance for.

It wouldn't be covered by Airbnb's extenuating circumstances policy.

You could ask the host if they would be kind enough to give you a proportional refund if you cancel and they are able to re-book any of the days.

Hi Elizabeth how did they resolve your issue with losing your income, I have several big booking this spring and summer and can’t afford to lose that income.

thanks Jan

I've had a guest ask me for a full refund in the event she is not allowed to travel (she is coming from Italy.)  I reiterated my cancellation policy (strict) and asked her to look into insurance.  

With strict cancellation, she'd lose 50% and I'd lose 50%. Seems fair in a situation neither one of us can control nor is responsible for. I've been through ABnB's extenuating circumstances, and if Italy puts travel restrictions in place, it does appear she'll get a full refund. That leaves us hosts out in the cold, doesn't it? 

As others have noted, if she can't travel with a week before or less notice, it is highly unlikely I can rebook and recoup that planned income. Has anyone gotten a clearer picture from ABnB? Thanks, and everyone stay healthy. : )

Tarun17
Level 1
Mumbai, IN

I have just received a booking for a guest from China - I am unsure if I confirm or cancel the booking?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Tarun17,

Nice to meet you. What date is your guest due to check-in? 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ronnie48
Level 2
California, United States

If I were you I would

not approve! Safety first! Sorry! 

I wouldn't accept it's too risky for you.  Be safe.🙏💖

Regards Coronavirus - isolate yourself for 14 days. If the guest uses our guest house for this reason, how can we know and what we can do to protect us and the cleaner when we doing the cleaning?

Avery36
Level 2
Singapore

Hmmm, if host ask to cancel a China guest stay due to this global coronavirus event, the 3 free cancellation counts per year really shouldn’t have been deducted.. It did for mine.

Damir0
Level 10
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Have you applied for the extenuating circumstances policy? If you just cancel and go ahead, it will impact your listing. Reach out to Airbnb in this case

Wherever you go, there you are.
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Just @ mentioning @Avery36 here, so she gets notified about your useful response here @Damir0. Thank you. 🙂

--------------------