What Landmark Trees do you use to highlight how to navigate to your home?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

What Landmark Trees do you use to highlight how to navigate to your home?

WP_20181118_103.jpg

It's something we all take for granted as we go about our daily life where we live, and having stumbled upon this interesting article about how early settlers used to navigate rivers and knew they were in the right direction & near home when they saw the dark foliage  under the stars of a Norfolk Pine tree which they used as a beacon  it got me thinking.

Which trees, including Norfolk Pines, in one's location were purpose planted to help navigate one's way around before we had lighthouses, street & other lights that we can and may like to incorporate as landmarks to identify how to get to our homes, or other places.?

This story about the Norfolk Tree that "Stood in Beautiful Garden" once belonged to Eduoard Eugene Cafler & his wife Madame  Uranie Deore  Cafler of France who were early French/ European settlers here in New Zealand.

He served in the Battle if Waterloo

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NA19441103.2.19

9 Replies 9
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

I can see 2 Norfolk Pine Trees from my home and wonder if they were planted to highlight main road junctions when Auckland  was rural land free from becoming a mass of concrete, bitumen & housing.

There's also 2 Norfolk Pine Trees alongside each other in the yonder as can be seen in my listing photos of St Stephen's Church grounds  that remain at this stage a mystery.

What are your stories relating to landmark Trees/ Flowers in your location?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

St Stephen's Avenue, Parnell, AucklandSt Stephen's Avenue, Parnell, Auckland

St Stephen's Church, overlooking Judge's Bay, Parnell, Auckland with Norfolk Pine Trees in the background.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Gogeous @Helen427 ! I'm next to an old railway line which is covered in trees these days (and blackberry bushes) so we would struggle to single them out. 

We have a big old Rugby pitch over the way which anyone in Hemel knows, but I live on a cul-de-sac so that's where the real fun begins.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Stephanie   

Do you recognise this scene in Hemel?
A bit before your time as it's from 1948.

Do you still have cows nearby?

Are these trees still  there?

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/ODT19481207.2.30.1

Article image

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

My goodness!! It looks just like where there are horses now, near the river Gade. Will have to grab a snap for you. It's an hours walk from my home though haha! Excellent sleuthing @Helen427 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Oh My Golly gosh    that's fabulous to hear.Great to know there's horses there, do they have the old tie posts?

What are the troughs & fences like?

We have about 20 different styles of fences around Mount Hobson in Remuera, Auckland

Looking fwd to your photo on here, rain, hail or shine!

Article image

"Stepping along the highway." Holiday Hikers in England near Hemel, Hampstead, Herts.

Their quaint hats and hoods were a protection against the wet and stormy weather they encountered.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AS19310516.2.23.3

@Stephanie

Peter896
Level 2
Eugene, OR

My back garden is graced by a Giant Butternut tree. I hear it is the oldest and largest in Oregon. Though it throws down enormous limbs and massive quantities of leaves that poison the Koi pond, I love it dearly. You inspire me to pay more attention to this graceful beauty and her place and meanings

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Peter896 

Thank you for your kind words.

Reading those archived newpapers online is an inspiration how sage those before us were for our betterment.

What's a Butternut tree?

I've never heard of a tree by that name.

Do you know what year it was planted?

& by who?

Is it a memorial tree?

Maybe you can take a photograph of it an upload it in here for us to enjoy.

All the best

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Stephanie 

Is this the same park near you and in the other article from Papers Past NZ that I put?
If so please can we have some photos from you folk in Hampstead Heath of the cattle whilst they are they?

Thanks heaps from over here in New Zealand

https://www.thejakartapost.com/life/2019/08/29/sheep-reintroduced-to-londons-hampstead-heath-after-6...