Why do i have to use password and a code to log into my account?

Tanya549
Level 1
Luquillo, Puerto Rico

Why do i have to use password and a code to log into my account?

for some reason all of a sudden, I have to have a code plus my password to log into my account- it's driving me crazy. how do I stop it? 

6 Replies 6
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Tanya549 

This happens to me sometimes and it’s very annoying.

I don’t know why but I suppose that it’s another website malfunction.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Tanya549, @Brian2036 

Is it a 6 digit #?  If so, this is a two step verification to ensure that the person logging in is who they actually are.  A random 6 digit number is sent to the cell phone on file and needs to be entered to confirm identity.  This is becoming quite common and is used to protect the privacy and security of both your and those companies information.  You cannot turn it off.

@M199  But she shouldn't be getting that every time she logs in. In my experience, Airbnb does that only occasionally.

But maybe it depends on what you use to log in- email, Facebook, phone number, etc.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@M199 @Tanya549 @Sarah977 

What’s annoying is that sometimes it happens when I am in the middle of writing a post and I lose everything when I log in again.

I really don’t see the point in that.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Sarah977

You may be correct.

I use everything, cell, tablet, desktop, except Facebook and Twitter. I  have to enter the 6 digits 2SV everytime. So, I hope the information helps.

@Tanya549, @Brian2036 

@M199  I log in with my email address and my Airbnb password, using Chrome, on my laptop or phone and I have only been asked to enter a code about 3 times in 5 years.