Wifi Speed Test Tool Not Working

Answered!
Nazan10
Level 2
Alaçatı, Turkey

Wifi Speed Test Tool Not Working

Hi everyone.

For some reason wifi speed test tool is not working that I coulnd't input my results. Is there anyone had the same issue?

N.O
1 Best Answer
Thierry676
Level 2
Stuttgart, Germany

I had the exact same issue with the android Airbnb app. Wi-Fi name and Wi-Fi password were already there when I run the test (configured beforehand from the PC Airbnb website), and they were definitively correct (visually at least, no typo or lowercase/uppercase errors). But after reading this thread, I had the idea to remove Wi-Fi details, run the test again which prompted me to re-enter the Wi-Fi details, and it worked this time :))  ... Maybe something to do with some invisible characters !?!? Try it, it might work for you as well 😉

View Best Answer in original post

74 Replies 74

I wonder if the genius who thought this up has any idea how common that is within the Ainbnb network.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nazan10

I have, by using a combination of my phone and computer, managed to get the wifi speed that I typed in replaced by an Airbnb generated speed.

Having gone to all this effort I then looked at my listing through the eyes of a guest and the speed isn't mentioned anywhere. If anyone can tell me where to find it (as a guest) it would be appreciated

Alex8246
Level 2
Murphy, NC

I manually enter the speed because our cabin is in a rural area without fiber or cable wifi. Wifi signals from hotspots or satellite internet services are subject to data caps and slower speeds at peak times, therefore checking the speed now may not give the guests the same experience later today. 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

I have some updates on this from the team. 

Starting with the email, @Michelle53, based on the content you shared, it appears to be accurate. If you or any other host have manually entered your speed, it will be removed, and you will need to test the WiFi through the tool, then the test speed will be added instead.

Now, the test tool is only available on the app. Please see the relevant article: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3003

"Testing your WiFi using your Airbnb app" - The steps provided here ONLY match the steps on the app. That means anyone trying on a browser will need to switch to the app to use the tool.

(Yes, the messaging on the web is confusing, and I have flagged this to be further looked upon.)

The WiFi network the host wants to test MUST be added to the WiFi section in the listing first (including password). 

These are the steps to add WiFi from the app

• Tap Profile and then tap Switch to hosting
  • Tap Listings and tap the listing you want
  • Under "Info for guest", tap "WiFi."
  • Add the EXACT network name (the name you would select when connecting a device to the network)
  • Add the password, then Save 

You can also add WiFi from the web, but since you can only test on the app, I figured these steps would be the most helpful.

Something to note here is that it's common to have two network names for one connection in some places or from some providers. So although those are basically the same network, it is crucial to enter the exact name on the device to make the test work.

If you are still having issues after this, can you please contact the team as they need screenshots or a video of your problem?

In that case the team will need three screenshots (or a video showing the following): 

1. one with the name of the network you added to your listing details (WiFi in Info for guests section)
  2. one with the name in the WiFi test tool
  3. one with the name of the network you are connected to on your phone (your actual phone settings). 

I do hope all this information helps resolve this. 

Thank you again for flagging, as this is a brand new feature, and any feedback will streamline the process and make it better. 

@Nick  Thanks for the update.  Unfortunately, I will not be able to permanently add the login and password to the wifi section since my password changes all the time for security.  Is it possible to add it for the test and delete it later ? 

I also don't want it in there because I don't want automated check in instructions sent, which is the other new tool I prefer not to use. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nick Thanks for the above. Yet another example of it being assumed that everyone has a smart phone these days.

Please could you also feedback to the team that the wifi speed generated by the app is only visible to guests searching for properties on the app. The poor guests who search using a computer don't get to see the wifi speed anymore. Why does Airbnb take one step forwards followed by two steps back every time they make improvements?

@Mike-And-Jane0 Maybe its me, being one of the olds, but I always find the app extremely annoying and much more glitchy than the desktop version.  

@Mike-And-Jane0 wrote:
Why does Airbnb take one step forwards followed by two steps back every time they make improvements?

Because the people who design changes in the system do not know nearly enough about how Airbnb hosts and guests operate in the real world.  Sometimes I wonder if the systems people even realize the company is in the hospitality business.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I assume you can still leave out the wifi speed?  So, let me summarize:

1) Airbnb doesn't trust hosts to put an accurate wifi speed on their listing.  Check.

2) Airbnb's tech 'solution' doesn't actually work.  Check.

Funny.

@Mark116  I quite like having the speed displayed. But the idea that I'm not considered competent enough to type it in all by myself is pretty annoying. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Nick I have followed your instructions and it doesn't work for me. I submitted a help request yesterday and the CS rep responded in the middle of my night saying (a) they can't call because of the time zone difference (b) they will be out for the next few days [of course] (c) the tool isn't supposed to work until 11/4 and I should try it again then. Obviously, that's wrong-- and anyway I can't do that as I won't be at the property at that time.

@Nazan10 @Michelle53 @Mike-And-Jane0 @Jon3220 @Mark116 

@Lisa723   This is why I didn't pursue trying the test all. I have actual, honest-to-goodness, billable work that generates revenue to take care  of, as a priority - I just don't have the bandwidth to commune with CS.

Jon3220
Level 2
Arizona, United States

OK PEOPLE - TRY THIS.  Go to your routers settings and double check your network name.  I had inadvertently added a space at the end of the network name.  Once I removed the unwanted space at the end of the network name, the speed test ran as intended.  It seems as though CS is still working on finding a solution and this may fix the problem for you.  Give it a try.

Valerie243
Level 3
Coquitlam, Canada

We have not been able to get it to work.  The link to start the test is greyed out on the app (see attached screen grab -- if I can get the upload to stop being buggy).

We did go directly to the third-party service that actually does the speed testing during the Airbnb process, and it worked just fine... so clearly the problem lies in a bug in the Airbnb app when that app is used as an intermediary between my wi-fi network and the m-Lab speed test.

We have added our names to the list of hosts reporting this defect in the app.

Perhaps Airbnb should extend the November 4 deadline until their get their house in order and the app speed test is working smoothly for everyone.

You´ve probably already figured it out but if you tap on the Network name or password and delete just one letter then type it back, the greyed out button will turn black. Also my Network name included 2.4 and 5.6Hz (on app and website) - I removed the 2.4 part in app and on website and it worked!! 🙂