calendar and security deposit

calendar and security deposit

I'm in the process of listing a property on Airbnb. I am having trouble getting to the calendar as for now, I just want to put up the months of November and December as available. 

Re the security deposit, should this be filled in and for how much do people put down for a security deposit? This is all new to me! 

8 Replies 8

Thank you! 

@William810   Thank you! 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kate2019 I wouldn't get tooling up about the security deposit. Airbnb do not charge this to the guest nor do they reserve the amount on a guest's credit card. To call it a security deposit is hugely misleading.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Thank you! If damages are done to our property, are we covered with Airbnb or just on my personal insurance? 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Kate2019 

The security deposit serves as a deterrent for people who don’t know that it’s imaginary.

If you make it too high people might be nervous or wonder if it will overdraw their credit card.

I set mine at $250.

I also have a reliable homeowners insurance policy which I trust much more than Airbnb.

For minor damages, such as crockery and linens, you are well advised to expect some losses and build that into your price.

It’s really not worth trying to collect, although sometimes guests will pay voluntarily if asked.

Thank you, @Brian2036. The security deposit is imaginary??!! 

Aalso, @Brian2036 , I have my price set and before I publish it, I was looking and there are a couple nights the price is lower than what I've set. I did not turn on the button for adjustable pricing, or whatever it's called. 

@Kate2019 just reset the prices in your calendar. It may be you forgot to save the changes made.

Also rely on your own insurance and take anything from Airbnb as an unlikely extra. To claim from Airbnb you have to precisely follow their rules and it only pays on depreciated values not new for old.