suggestions for new Host any input is welcome

suggestions for new Host any input is welcome

I am looking for suggestions, I am a very new host and am looking for input.  Things I should make sure I have available and not. 

10 Replies 10
Bob39
Level 10
Goldfield, NV

I buy the cookie dough that is already made, you just break it into pieces and bake it. I leave a small plate of cookies next to the welcome letter. This has been very popular and some people mentioned it in their reviews. Arriving guests have usually driven a long way and they are tired and hungry.

I also put a few bottles of water in the refrigerator, usually 1 per guest. I have provisions to make coffee or tea - regular coffee maker, coffee, tea, cramers, sweeteners. I have eggs in the refrigerator and sometimes a full unopened bottle of orange juice. I have never bought the bagels that airbnb urges me to buy.

Since I have a full kitchen I encourage them in the welcome letter to cook and utilize any food or seasonings they see in the house. No need to provide any major food, but staple items like cooking oils, salt and seasonings are good to have. I put a couple of packs of microwave popcorn on top of the microwave.

In the showers I have tall bottles with the pumps, of both shampoo and body wash at every sink I have the small pump bottle of SoftSoap. This is better and easier than those little motel bottles and soaps. I also have a couple packets of mineral bath in the master bathroom by the bathtub, and in the other bathroom a bottle of kids' shampoo/bubble bath.

It seems like I provide too much. But a lot of the stuff is never used, and I don't have to replace things often.

I also get cheap lotion bottles from a dollar store, with body lotion, and I have one in each bathroom. But the lotion is rarely used. Lots of extra rolls of toilet paper, at least 3 extra rolls in each bathroom, and place them on the floor where they are visible.

One small roll of paper towels in the kitchen if you have a kitchen. Dishwasher soap and a bottle of dishwashing liquid. Dish drainer. You can get all this stuff cheaply at dollar stores.

Plenty of towels - I would go to IKEA or someplace and buy extra towels. Be sure to include small washcloths, hand towels and bath towels. A few kitchen towels.

Get a first aid kit and place it in the kitchen. Get a small fire extinguisher and place it in the kitchen.

Remove any item that is valuable or irreplaceable from the property. Remove all your personal stuff. Take pictures with your phone of everything that is in the property.

If the group coming includes children under 10, child-proof the kitchen by moving all knives up high and moving all cleaning products out of their reach.

I have a high chair, but it has only been used once. No need to provide a crib - if they have a baby they will bring what they need.

If the group coming includes pets, remove all live plants from the house. I have 2 pet beds, but after 11 visits including one cat, they have never been used. Pet owners should bring all pet supplies.

I have a washer and dryer, so I supply 2 or 3 soap pods and a few dryer sheets. I have an iron and ironing board, and lint roller, but they have never been used.

House must be spotlessly clean before each guest arrival. Remove any traces of the previous guest. Check for stray hairs on the bathroom floor, things like that. Change all sheets, pillowcases and all towels after each guest checkout. Replace with clean ones. If a guest is staying more than 2 nights, send them a message on the second night, offering to change the sheets and towels the next morning.

Have a welcome letter. Have wi-fi internet working, and give the password in the welcome letter. Try to communicate with the guest on the day of arrival, just to find out their estimated arrival time. I have waited aroud for hours for a guest with poor communication skills. I always meet the guest at the property to hand the key. That way I can see exactly who is arriving and if the number matches the number specified in the agreement.

I like to set the table with one place setting for each person coming, as I think this gives a welcoming look.

Kip0
Level 9
Virginia Beach, VA

Great list @Bob39!  I've been hosting for the past year but I just check listed against your recommendations and I think your list is super thorough.  I like the cookies idea!

Great list Bob!!!

Kip0
Level 9
Virginia Beach, VA

Hi @Lisa264 - welcome to the hosting community!

A few suggestions:

1. Complete more verifications as you only have two and they are the weakest (email and phone).  I personally wouldn't consider staying at a hosted location with so few verifications.

2. Your photos look great but four is generally too few and they look like they're pulled from a real estate listing or other site so not sufficient for most people.

3. Fill out your profile.  People like to stay with authentic hosts and also to know more about how you are likely to host especially since this is a pool house on your property.

Welcome and happy hosting!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Make yourself thouroughly familair with how AirBnB works, the vast majority of issues arise because hosts have at best skimmed the site before going live.

David
Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

Hi Lisa, your place looks very nice, good luck! Our rental apartment is also separate from the main house, has about the same square footage as yours. we meet guests upon arrival and take about 10 minutes to get them situated into the place. Gives us peace of mind knowing who is there, and also gives them a chance to ask questions or voice concerns. We also only have one bed, thus we limited the number of guests to two, possibly preempting any kind of trouble with too may people in a small space. there are some horror stories around about what some guests have done to places.... To have a few welcome treats out fir guests might be a nice gesture, we do fruit, muffins, cheese platter, chocolate, coffee and cream, as well as a bottle of wine. It makes fir good will and everybody is happy! Needless to say, to have thecplace spotlessly clean and ready is a must. Good luck! 

how can you see what listing is Lisa's?

I can't see it on a tablet, but on a regular computer, hover over the picture, click on view profile, from there to the listing. or of the profile doesn't come up, on the bottom left it will show you the user number, and you open that in a new window. 

Interesting. I am getting none of those things. When I hover, I only get the user name. Maybe I will try a different browser.

Chrome works. Safari doesn't. Firefox works. Thank you for sending me in the correct direction!