tax payments in wisconsin

Christine2765
Level 1
Green Lake, WI

tax payments in wisconsin

I have opened several cases to no avail!!  These are my questions/concerns.

In Wisconsin for our area the state tax is 5.5% and the occupancy tax is 7% for our city.  In all AirBnB documentation/Financial Reports that I have found or run it shows the "Occupancy Tax" to be the combination of the two being 12.5% tax.  When AirBnB is submitting checks to the municipality, they are getting a lump sum check from ALL local AirBnB Rentals with no documentation what's so ever.  (Very frustrating!!)  So, the question is - Does AirBnB submit the full 12.5% to the municipality OR are they sending the 5.5% state tax to the DOR on the owner behalf and only the 7% occupancy tax to the municipality.

I would appreciate ANY support on this issue.

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Christine2765 

To make it even more complicated (?)

Your listing shows the taxes are:

- Room Tax (Green Lake)

- Local Sales and Use Tax (Green Lake)

- General Sales and Use Tax (Wisconsin)

The amount is indeed 12,5% from total booking (rent + cleaning fee + Service costs)

The help file shows:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2337/occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-in-wiscon...

Christine2765
Level 1
Green Lake, WI

Thank you for you input.  I know the amounts and I have read the article several times. Not the real question.  I guess we will just "assume" that only the 7% occupancy tax is being submitted to the city as I cannot get a definite answer to my question.

Laurel135
Level 2
Wisconsin Dells, WI

Our BNB is located in Wisconsin Dells are we are dealing with the EXACT same thing you are dealing with. Airbnb will not let us define and collect occupancy taxes on our own. Every time we call customer support our case gets forwarded to a "specialized department" that won't talk to us on the phone, they only respond to email. The usual response is copied and paste responses from AirBNB FAQs that DO NOT HELP US. What is happening is that ALL AirBNBs in Wisconsin are being collected and being submitted to the state in one lump sum. Our addresses are not submitted with this sum so all of the taxes that should be going to the county or the local city are not being distributed. For us... this is a HUGE headache because our local township is demanding that we pay them on a quarterly basis at 5% of our gross income. AirBNB is collecting this from each guest but NOT PAYING this... so guess what... we have to pay this out of our pocket. Here are some of the ridiculous responses from this specialized department. They suggest that we define custom taxes (a OPTION that is on available to us!!)

“This is Katrina, a supervisor with Airbnb. I understand you have some concerns regarding the occupancy tax being collected for your listings location.For your listings location, Airbnb is only collecting and remitting the State-administered taxes on your behalf. This means any tax you see that outlines the county or city, is remitted directly to the State only. Of course, this is if you had the "Default" tax option selected in your listing.If there are additional county or city taxes that you are required to remit directly to those tax authorities, it would be your responsibility to include that in the custom tax you currently have set on your listing under "local taxes and laws".If you have been remitting funds directly to the city and/or county, that would be the correct thing to do on your end under the circumstances.As customer service, we are not privy to the exact times or dates amounts are remitted to the state on your behalf.

Wisconsin Tax Collection and Remittance

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2337/occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-in-wiscon...

Adding custom tax -https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2523/how-do-i-add-taxes-to-my-listings

We will be filing one tax return per jurisdiction, with the total combined reservation revenue. This means that all hosts located in your area will be represented by one remitted amount, and we will not be providing your personal information on the return."

Our response that has not been responded to since October... Multiple cases open and closed prematurely, this specialized department not answering our questions, etc. etc. 

Hello Katrina,

Thank you for clearing up a lot of our questions. It’s disappointing it took us 5 months of trying to get this answer after getting copy and paste answers from the website FAQ page.  Still have a couple questions though.

How are hosts that are not as persistent as us supposed to know this?

If you pay all total taxes to the state including county and township taxes as states in charge to customer; how does the state pay out to the local government? 

How does AirBNB make sure local governments (county and city) get paid as required  per state statute? 

As stated previously, our main issue is that our local treasurer needs to be paid quarterly and because she has not been paid by AirBNB, it is coming out of our own pocket. I understand that this is taken care of now that we have custom taxes defined with professional hosting tools turned on. We were never told by customer service that this was a resolution, we figured it out on our own! We still need to resolve the last 6 months of taxes since July 1, 2020. 

Thank you for finally getting answers for us. We have spent countless hours writing emails to a specialized department that refuses to answer our questions or talk to us on the phone. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Christine2765   AirBnB is collecting 13% tax for my property. They are supposed to be remitting it to three separate agencies; my State (4.75%), County (2.25%) and Municipality (6%).  I calculate the tax due on each booking, compare it to what AirBnB collected, and enter that data on a fairly simple spreadsheet to use for tax reporting..  

I file a monthly tax report with all three jurisdictions.  The reports that I file show the amount of tax that was collected by AirBnB for my rentals.  I submit the total and then zero it out with a note "Paid by AirBnB on my behalf".    If the tax form does not have an explanation section, I send a form letter in with the report stating that AirBnB (and other OTAs) have collected the tax and remitted it directly to the jusridiction on my behalf and I owe zero.  

This means that I have provided a record of the taxes that should have been paid to my State, my County and my Municipality by AirBnB (and other OTAs) and applied to my tax account.  My attorney and tax accountant "blessed" this process when I asked them what to do about my taxes once the OTAs stopped sending the collected funds to me.  I did not want to risk receiving a huge tax bill for money I never had in my hands.

If AirBnB is not collecting all of the taxes that are required for your rental property, it is because they do not have an agreement with that tax agency.  If this is the case, the custom tax add-on should be available to you to be able to collect this tax.  If the custom tax section is not available to you, you will have to devise some other means of collecting that amount or accept that it is going to come out of your pocket.  

Christine2765
Level 1
Green Lake, WI

Thanks for the information.  I was looking for a breakdown at the City level for Occupancy tax.  The check is received in one lump sum and has no breakdown per property for the city.  I can see all reports for the properties I manage of what has been paid by AirBnB through the Financial Reporting.  This was a citywide issue.  Not an individual issue.  The City Attorney is addressing, so I am going to bowout and leave it in his hands.  Thank you for any input.

@Christine2765   IMO, as long as you are filing the required reports with your City as to what you have earned and what taxes Air collected on your properties, you should be meeting your obligation to the City.  It is up to them (the City) to have an agreement with Air to receive those collected funds, and how Air is to report the funds to the City.  Do your due diligence by sending in your report.  

Christine2476
Level 2
McHenry, IL

I would like to know too.  Thanks