Our first guest from hell.

Steven1133
Level 2
Mountain Center, CA

Our first guest from hell.

Hello fellow hosts,

After five years of hosting and 43 stays, we had our first bad one this past month. The guest was bad enough, but I feel the support I got from AirBnB was less than stellar. We need some others to weigh in.

We are on instant book and this guest wanted to break two house rules right off the top and was forced to contact us for her requests. We are a no smoking property and we don't take cats. Guest wanted us to accommodate her in regard to both. She was booking for 30 days, so the money was substantial. She said the kitten was well behaved, and if we allowed her to smoke (pot), she would only do it outside. We agreed to make a designated place for her on the patio of the rental apartment, which is the entire ground floor of our house. We live up above. Also, included in the rent is weekly cleaning. This serves two purposes; it allows us to change out sheets and towels, mop, dust, etc. It also allows us to see if anything bad is happening.

The guest was young (early 20's) and very personable and we got off to a good start, until the day of the first cleaning. We ask the guests on long stays to pick a day of the week of their choosing for the cleaning. We ask them to leave for a couple of hours so we can do the work.

Our apartment is quite lovely and not furnished with what I would call rental apartment furniture. It's actually the guest suite for our own visitors, when AirBnB folks are not in residence. It's furnished like our house.

Anyway, we walked in to do the clean and the place was a shambles. It looked like a border had moved in. Suitcases we're open and spilling over, clothes thrown around the room in heaps, clean and dirty. There was a path on the floor just wide enough to get from the front door to  the bathroom and kitchen. The cats food bowl was dirty and bits of dried food we're all over the floor. The litter box in the bathroom was full and litter was all over the floor. The tiny kitchen was a mess and the bed had taken the full brunt of someone peeing in it. Sheets, wool blanket, coverlet and brand new pillows. Shame on me for not having a waterproof cover on the mattress, but when we took the mattress pad off, it was clear it was toast. All we could do then and there was flip it.

It was also evident that kitty had used the arms and cushions of two upholstered chairs as a scratching posts!

I did not challenge the guest with what we found that day, other than to say that it looked like someone had an accident in the bed. The guest blamed it on the cat and feigned ignorance of the event. One week into a 30 day stay; we just didn't feel like starting something with this guest. But in any event, we were now on alert.

Second week was the same story, only this time the bed was still soaking wet. We pulled off the mattress pad and the stain was twice as large as the week before! At this point, I took photos and sent them to the guest via the AirBnB platform. I advised her that I would need to claim the damages done after her departure. She feigned ignorance again and offered a soft apology.

Meanwhile, the guests outdoor smoking routine lasted for about the first week, at which point she moved indoors for the remainder of her stay. We lived with the smell of weed permeating our house for three weeks. We're not confrontational types, and again, it was a long stay for a lot of money, we sucked it up.

Third week, wet bed again. Whomever was responsible, the guest was not modifying the behavior. She stayed in the apartment for days at a time, just she, the cat and the weed!

The fourth week, I received a message that the guest intended to depart four days early, Wednesday instead of Saturday. Wednesday was cleaning day. The guest did not ask for a refund on the four days, We took this as an apology for the situation and her attempt to make it right. We were cognizant of this and appreciative. She and the cat left and we went in to assess the damage. Went out that day and bought new mattress, new pillows, blankets and coverlet. Had our cleaning crew work double time.

Than came the day I had to write the review. I didn't want to rip her to shreads, so I gave her four stars and a totally non-committal verbal review. Also checked that I would not host again. Then, I re-read the five previous host reviews that I had used to make my decision to accept the girl as a guest. They were all 4.5-5.0 stars! Really??? It's like we had a different person here entirely. We held our breath for the guests review, and **bleep**, if she didn't cut us off at the knees! We've never had a rating less than 4.5! She gave us 3.0 and said some very unkind things, some of it was an outright lie. We were gobsmacked.

When I called AirBnB to protest, they said there was nothing they could do about the review as it did not violate any of their guidelines. It was her word against ours! We felt completely abandoned by the corporate support staff.

The issue for us is not so much the damage, but the lack support from the AirBnB staff. We feel like they really don't want to get involved in these resolutions. Everything is great while there are no problems, but you're on your own when something like this happens. 

Have others of you had a similar experience and how have you resolved it.

Thank you,

Steven & Carlos

34 Replies 34
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Steven1133  If you spend some time reading through posts on this forum, it will be evident to you that Airbnb is not supportive of hosts. It seems to be the prevailing experience.

You just need to consider them a listing service and payment processor and otherwise you are basically on your own.

As far as the review goes, they won't remove a review unless it violates one of their policies. 

I have to say that although I'm sorry you got such a terrible guest, you facilitated this from square one.

You should never agree to waive your house rules for anyone. If your listing parameters aren't suitable for a guest, they need to look for a listing that is.

People who start off asking you to bend your rules for them are giant red flags and should not be accepted.

Then you continued to put up with her behavior and her disrespect of your home because you aren't "confrontational". Well, if you just let people get away with bad behavior, and continue to let them stay because you want the money, then you own that problem. It's your home- you shouldn't let guests abuse you or your home. No one can treat you like a doormat unless you act like one.

And then you say you're surprised to see she has good previous reviews, yet you then left a non-commital review which doesn't warn other hosts of her behavior. How is that helpful? You are now another host who leaves reviews other hosts can't rely on to be truthful. Leaving a guest low stars and saying you wouldn't host them again and then leaving an okay written review- I just don't understand that.

Hosts who don't use Instant Book cannot see guest star ratings- if you aren't honest in your written review you are doing us a great disservice. 

If guests are being disrespectful of you or your home, you should address the issue right away- either talk to them about it and make it clear they need to shape up or they will need to find another place to stay, or alter their reservation to get them out ASAP and refund the rest of their money. Your guest was obviously incontinent- when you found the bed peed the first time, and then again, that should have been evident.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Steven1133 Having seen your review of this guest I am stunned. If all hosts act like you did with this review then you can expect more guests from hell. to find their way to your listing.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

I am also stunned

• Review: Ruby was a very sweet young woman

• CC: Guest from hell

@Steven1133  what is Your explanation for this discrepancy?

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

So, you would not host this guest again, yet “I gave her four stars and a totally non-committal verbal review. Then, I re-read the five previous host reviews that I had used to make my decision to accept the girl as a guest. They were all 4.5-5.0 stars! Really??? It's like we had a different person here entirely.”

Based on your very nice review, I would probably host this girl too. Until she asked to break two of my major house rules right off the bat. 

Sorry @Steven1133 , like everyone else here, I’m a bit stunned, and thinking you own this problem.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Steven1133   We also tend to give pretty non confrontational reviews of bad guests or no reviews, but your real mistake was allowing things to go on after the first week, and just continue to clean up after the guest like that.  You will also know going forward that  you shouldn't bend your rules for guests because rule benders don't appreciate it, they simply go on to bend more and more rules. 

@Mark116 One can be non confrontational and still warn other hosts. I get that there are times when it's wise to employ some street smarts with reviews for a problem guest. I've been in that situation a time or two @Steven1133 could have done way better than he did with this one though. 

Thanks to everyone who weighed in here. I know that I own this problem and won't let something similar happen again. I think we've been lucky that in five years, this is the first bad experience. It's just that it was so over the top.

It does bring up another obvious problem though; that a lot of hosts don't leave honest reviews because of the fear of retaliatory guest reviews. I had the "slam" review all written out, but AirBnB makes the host leave the first review. I just figured she'd trash us big time, which she did anyway, lesson learned.

I'd like to hear more about how you all navigate the review process as it pertains to this issue.

Thanks again,

SM

@Steven1133  "AirBnB makes the host leave the first review."

You are misinformed. 

You have 14 days after checkout to write a review for a trip. To encourage impartial and honest comments, reviews are posted only after both parties have completed their review, or when the 14-day review period has ended.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/13/how-do-reviews-work-for-stays

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Steven1133  no Airbnb does not make hosts leave the first review. Either host or guest can review first. 

You have up to 14 days to leave a review, so could have left one close to the end of the review period. And as you know neither guest nor host can see each other's review's when they are writing theirs. 

I always leave honest reviews for guests. If you have mainly great review any outlier review by guests will be seen within this context and obviously you have the right of reply to clarify.

If I had gone in on the first week and found the listing in the at appalling state you described,  I would have asked Airbnb to cancel the booking, had the guest leave and left an honest review.

Can you explain why you left such a positive review of this guest,  making absolutely no mention of all the ways she broke your house rules and her appalling behaviour, I really can't get my head around this?

@Steven1133   No, the host can leave the review whenever they want.  So, there are various strategies that people use.

1) Some believe if you intend to ask for damages that the host should leave a review ASAP, especially if the guests may not realize you'll be asking for damages.  This way, they will have done a review by the time you file for reimbursement.  I've never tried this but others have done it.

2) Wait until the last possible moment to leave a review, so do it on the 14th day with only a couple of hours to spare on the counter.  This is done w/the expectation that most guests won't be paying attention and so your review will go in and they won't notice it in time to do their own.  Of course this is moot if they do the review first.

**Some of my worst guests have had a long string of great guest!! welcome back any time!! reviews, so for the most part, I discount positive reviews unless they have a lot of detail that makes it clear there was a positive interaction between host and guest.

**Some people are super messy, but urine in the bed more than once is suggestive of either a really gross person or some other type of problem and cost of mattress is not cheap.

This is good to know. I don't do very detailed reviews of my guests, may need to work on that.

I don't do instant book, so all I have to depend on are other hosts reviews, so yes, please be honest and upfront. Even as simple as "Guest didn't follow house rules" would tip me off I don't want this guest without you airing all the 'dirty laundry' (or mattress in this case) for all to read. There are some specific phrases you can use that are factual, not rude, that would tip off other hosts that this isn't someone that would be good.

Guest wasn't a good fit for this listing.

Guest didn't follow house rules.

This guest would be more comfortable at a hotel

Etc....these aren't rude, but they do tip people off to take a closer look before letting them into your home. 

@Summer64  As a fellow home-share host who also doesn't use IB, another thing I'd like to read in a review if you found it to be so is "Not suited to home-sharing".

To me that would include a guest who doesn't clean up after themselves in common spaces, doesn't respect others in the home, either by word or deed,  has very poor social skills, or seems to wish that they had the place to themselves, i.e. is unfriendly to the host or other guests.

Those things might not be any issue for entire place hosts with little to no interaction with guests, but a home-share host has different concerns.

@Steven1133  I am bamboozled by where hosts get these sorts of false notions about the review process. Both host and guest receive the same notifications to review. When you submit a review has zero bearing on the guest's review, and if you don't leave a review at all, the guest's review will still be published.

Bad guests almost always leave bad reviews. You can't ward that off by tiptoeing around a guest's bad behavior or bending over backwards to try to please demanding, complaining guests. 

Always assume that a bad guest will leave a bad review- that will make it easier to deal with the situation in the way you really want and need to.

While you can't get the guest's review removed, you can ask for your own review of her to be removed, which would be a good thing to do, as it is very misleading. It isn't even non-commital, I would assume from your review that this was a welcome guest.

BTW, "well-behaved kitten" is one of the most ludicrous things I've ever heard. It's a cat. It behaves like a cat, neither good nor bad.  They eat, sleep, poop, and sharpen their claws on whatever is handy. 

Matthew112
Level 3
Bisbee, AZ

I have over 40 years from my previous profession in the hotel business. So when I decided to get into the vacation rental business I incorporated a great deal of my previous hotel knowledge and experience in meeting and preventing certain mishaps, damage issues, unruly guests, and so on, yet, still delivering positive guest experiences. I've been in the VR business now for almost 8-years and have yet to receive one negative review because of my anticipation skills. 

First, and this is very important to remember. Any online booking service you subscribe through is NOT your employer. People seem to not understand this. They are ONLY a vendor which aids your business in attracting business. So, with that said you need to take it upon yourself to set up a barrier on what you expect and will not tolerate from any and all guests who stay with you. Think of this as sort of a firewall line of defense.  The big majors in the online booking services are if anything but just a 3rd party provider and that can limit you with having any guest step up and accept the damages or other infections caused by them. So you also need to play the game and make it clear also while presenting yourself as a responsible and professional lodging business. 

Upon arrival with ALL my guests, I have them sign off on my Guest Registration Form. I also leave them a copy for their records. And this is also important to remember. Post this same form on your listing site either under Policy and Rules or Info for Guest. That helps to protect you should a guest ever balk about not knowing or was totally unaware your policy for this was a requirement. You then can state it was clearly posted on the site, would they have taken the extra time to read all about your policy, rules, and guidelines

The name of our business goes here.

000 Douglas Street, Bisbee, Arizona 85603

Phine number goes here.

Check-in time is 12:00 Noon and Check-out is at 11:00 AM.

RESERVATION CHECK-IN AGREEMENT

Guest Name: John Doe     UNIT: Harvest Moon    Fiesta Moon

• 2 guest(s) 

3 nights -- Arrival on September 27  2021     Departure on September 30,  2021  

Please take the time to read: I understand Blue Moon Bungalows (BMB) and/or any of its acting booking agents will or has authorized my credit card for the full stay plus an additional $100.00 at check-in/on-line booking to cover any cost incurred during my stay including any items damage, purchased or removed from the bungalow. The signature below is accepted as an agreement that you permit “signature on file” without dispute for any incidentals that occurred during my stay.  Blue Moon Bungalows (BMB) assumes no responsibility for loss of money, jewelry, or other valuables. We are not responsible for contents left in the bungalow or automobile and there is a minimum $100.00 fee for smoking inside any of our bungalows and/or open doorways of any bungalow. This also includes eCigs and Vapor products being used indoors. Any illegal drug usage constitutes immediate eviction with no refunds on remaining rates and a forfeit of security deposit. Having a Medical Card has no weight or bearing regarding this policy. As pertaining to the now and recent legalization of marijuana usage in most states it is our policy to not support any such usage here. These laws are based solely on personal usage(s) in YOUR private home only, and this is not your private home but only a limited rental which presents policy and guidelines of its own which you accepted by selecting us, and must follow while staying here. 

We are a DRUG-FREE ZERO-TOLERANCE business.

Cleaning Rates are set at $XX per bungalow. However, we reserve the right to have this readjusted (uncontested) under certain circumstances if the guest leaves without attempts in the putting effort towards maintaining the condition of our facility, i.e. leaving dishes piled in the sink, un-disposed food which we have to remove, over-spills/splatters on or in any appliances, excessive garbage is strewn about the place and large amounts of trash we have to remove. This also includes the stoppage of drains without us ever being informed to resolve. We reserve the right to charge additional monies from your security deposit in order to collect for this. I have read the policies & terms presented here and agree to accept these policies and terms as the understanding of this Reservation Check-In Agreement. 

LOST KEYS or unreturned keys will be charged $40 per key. Please leave your key(s) on the table before leaving. 

By Signing this agreement below I have accepted all the above terms. 

X:___________________________________________________________________

IF YOUR CAR IS ELECTRIC WE ASK THAT YOU NOT TAP INTO OUR SERVICE TO RECHARGE.

It is unjust and greatly inflates our monthly electric bill.