Picky, picky picky... How do you handle THOSE nitpicking and/or demanding guests?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Picky, picky picky... How do you handle THOSE nitpicking and/or demanding guests?

Oh, so here we go again. I had a guest check in yesterday evening and I already have a bad feeling. Okay, so she hasn't said or done anything major, but it's only a day since she arrived and, already:

1. Asked some questions, but ignored my questions and then instant booked anyway.

2. Wanted to check in at 1am. My check in is from 3-9pm.

3. Agreed to check in the next day, but was vague about the time and seemed surprised that I would want to know. I asked her in that case to give me an hour's notice, to which she agreed. Instead, she messaged me 15 minutes before arrival.

4. Didn't mention to me prior to booking that she has an allergy to cats. I have three of them and clearly state in my house rules to not book if you are allergic.

5. Making comments about how many stairs there are to her room (not only on the listing but reiterated to her in the message thread before she booked).

5. Asking if she could keep her toiletries in the bathroom, to which I said yes, but then she wanted to put them in my personal cupboard, to which I said no. Now she wants me to provide an 'attractive' basket for them.

6. Complained that the WiFi in her room doesn't work properly and has disrupted her work meeting. WiFi is working fine for everyone else, but I go up to check and there are five bars. All seems to be working fine, but I reboot anyway.

7. When asked if the room was warm enough, said yes, but later said the radiators weren't working properly. When I asked if it was okay to go check them, suddenly she says they are working now. I literally haven't adjusted anything so that makes no sense.

8. Questions about the door handle on her bedroom door. She is having trouble using it.

9. Asking for 'communal' food items that are neither specified on my listing, nor shown to guests on the check in tour, when they are clearly shown which things are there for their use and told not to help themselves to other food.

10. There was also some miscommunication RE her work set up, which I am not totally comfortable with.

So, this is all small stuff (I have probably forgotten something), but has all happened prior to or within 24 hours of the guests arrival and she is here for one month. Normally I would have asked the guest by this stage if everything is okay with their stay, but I hardly need to as she is quite happy to find ways to keep me on my toes.

108 Replies 108
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

How do you handle guests like this? I just feel a 4* or lower review coming but, more than that, my stress levels are rising and I feel very uneasy about what the next month will bring.

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

@Huma0 she's not happy; you're not happy. She needs to find a space that is better suited to her needs.

@Lenore22  she might be the type who is never happy, wherever she lands. 

Lenore22
Level 10

@Gillian166 most likely, yes, but I'll bet *she* doesn't know that! 😉

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lenore22 

Probably not.

After testing the WiFi in her room and showing her that I was getting excellent speeds, plus hearing that none of the other guests were experiencing problems (both of them also working or studying from home), she said, "Maybe it's just me who has a problem then...I guess that can happen." but in such a way as I took it to be sarcastic, rather than genuine.

I didn't know what to do, other than to offer to reboot the WiFi. I have just had a guest check out of that room after staying for two months. She never once had an issue with the WiFi during that time and I know she was constantly streaming Netflix etc.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Huma0  scammer alert.  Tell her about the other guests and how comfortable they are and ask her again if she is content to stay  and show her where the rules are, that obviously she has not seen , and tell her that if everyone reads the rules as they are supposed to ,then everyone then becomes much more comfortable and can settle down and get on with their days . I would have a rule stating that others in the house must be allowed to go about their days without being disturbed by others in the house as everyone has things to do ,but that I am available at certain times to speak with her.Might be just settling in" blues"  but keep a record in case it escalates. H

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen744 

I don't think this girl is a scammer. She's just demanding and picky. She is staying and working in London for six months but, rather than getting an apartment for that time, is moving Airbnbs every month because she wants to experience different parts of London. It's unusual, but I have encountered that before. I am now her third stay, so she has already spent two months at Airbnbs here. She has lots of good reviews.

What I have noticed about some of these nomadic types is that, even if the other listings they stayed at aren't as nice as yours, they are still very demanding. Despite the naturally disruptive nature of their lifestyle, they still expect to be just as comfortable as if they were at home, but they see it as your job as the host to ensure this happens.

Fine, to a certain extent. Sure, they need a comfortable bed to sleep in and a good shower and a functioning kitchen and for things to be clean and reasonably quiet. But, I never promised pretty baskets for their toiletries, or to buy whatever food items they need one day to the next, nor for my working day to be constantly disrupted by their demands. I get the impression that they think the Airbnb host is at their disposal 24/7 and, sure, we are for the important stuff. I call these types 'time vampires' and have posted about that before.

It's pretty hard to specify what times you are available when you are sharing the space with the guests and, like me, mostly working from home. There is no hiding from them! Most are respectful though and understand that I do actually have a job and might have something more important to do than cater to their every whim.

Oh, dear. Deep breath! I hope you are right and that it is just settling in blues 🙂

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Huma0 wrote:

I call these types 'time vampires' and have posted about that before.

@Huma0  not to be confused with the Goldilocks guests we get, who book our 3 bedroom cottage for 2 people, but somehow need to try every bed.....  How many more characters are there? someone should start a list! These fun names actually help me to laugh off such behaviour.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 

Ah, Goldilocks! Well, I have never had the problem with beds because that would be pretty unlikely in my set up.

However, you reminded me of one guest who decided to open every sealed condiment jar (even if there was already one of the same thing open), not to cook with it, but to 'try it'. She took a teaspoon full from each jar, meaning that much of it ended up being thrown away because, once it's opened, there's a limited time to consume it all. Why she did that, I don't know, other than it was just there so she had to try it.

@ Gillian166 you make me laugh, I will remember" The Goldilocks guest" I get them all the time. I have a three bedder and it is often booked by two people or even one but often also couples. I will say to them that please choose their rooms but also try not to use the third bedroom. If there is only one guest I do ask if they have ;made a mistake 'and  tell them that many one or two bedders are available.elsewhere . it annoys me only to the extent that it does appear that they may be avoiding the extra guest fee but truthfully  I think sometmes people just want the space or the room around them . It is a choice available to them but as I point out even if you are a couple two beds is the limit for you. Also  none can make a bed so that I dont think it was used, although one lady once came very close. H

Have you considered redoing your listing slightly? 
"Number of bedrooms available for guests to use will be based on number of guests booked." Then lock the bedrooms that guests are not entitled to use?

Just an idea.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Huma0, I hope it works out for you . I know a lot of us are really stressed out . I have been through these stages where  I just could not face another self entitled rude  group of people and I think a month with them would be too much but try and get some as they say'me time'. You will get through it because you are good at this.Believe me the last people are not begging for her to come back . Really check her reviews and as you say if she wont leave the house then I would but if her presence interferes with other guests or continues to be a 'power play ' of whose in charge then rally some strength first,as you say we all need the money to keep our houses and  have to put up with a lot of stuff unimaginable to Airbnb.I dont know how a guest like this can even be described . Emotional blackmail springs to mind . I usually find that if  I am uneasy about responses from a guest like this there is sometimes an underlying disorder. It takes strength of character to tackle these problems and they are another 'intangible'Obviously her issues are not yours so unless she 'shares 'then there is little you can do. Just try and ignore it and make sure she knows you are an ordinairy human just like her. It could be an anxiety disorder I   suspect . Just dont let her give it to you H.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen744 

Thank you! I was actually not feeling too stressed out at all before. I just had a regular guest (who books with me direct) stay for two months and check out on Saturday. Then the other lovely guest is leaving on Thursday. It's been pretty nice having them both here the past two months. Now, it's all change and uncertainty again, which I should be used to, but it is immediately not going well! 

Of course, it's not the first time I or you have been through similar. Yes, I am sure you are right that people who need to nitpick and find problems everywhere have underlying issues making them do so. The guest who is leaving on Thursday is the opposite. She is so sanguine that whatever is thrown at her, she tries to put a positive spin on it. Some people are determined to enjoy every moment of happiness that life brings their way and others are determined to be unhappy.

I am out at meetings most of tomorrow and away for four days next week, so I will get some respite!

Lenore22
Level 10

Omg- I can't believe this is a month long booking. I would have cancelled when the check-in issue came up. I would send my "no thank you" message:

"Dear Guest,
We believe that everyone should absolutely love their stay. And that's the standard we've set for our property. Unfortunately sometimes things aren't a great fit. We've noticed you've experienced a consistent pattern of dissatisfaction with your stay. We'd like to make that right. Effective immediately, you have the option to end your stay, with a refund for unused nights. This offer will remain in effect for 12 hrs. This also serves as your official notice that your stay will not be extended, nor will any other compensation be offered or paid if you choose to stay, or upon check out. Thank you for your cooperation."

Since you are in a home share, I would talk in person first, saying much the same and let her know you will send a message in-app as well.