Airbnb’s experiment in censoring pending guests’ profile pictures…

Trevor26
Level 7
Big Bend National Park, TX

Airbnb’s experiment in censoring pending guests’ profile pictures…

Fellow hosts, guests, & the Airbnb team, 

After noticing that pending guests’ profile pictures have been greyed out for a time, and after several calls and follow up with Airbnb, I have learned that this is not a glitch, but an “experiment” in which 5% of all global hosts have been enrolled to measure discrimination by censoring guests’ profile pictures.  As a Superhost on Airbnb who has been enrolled without permission or notification…I am disappointed and insulted that Airbnb doesn’t trust me to be non-discriminatory…that as a visual person who enjoys to see the way that people of any race, gender, or ethnicity choose to present themselves and the environment that they frame themselves in are now censored …that Airbnb doesn’t allow me to get to know a stranger a little bit before accepting them into my own home… it makes me feel untrusted…judged…guilty until proven innocent…creeped out (for the guest can see me, my property, and profile, while I can’t see back through that one way window).  To use the cliche “a picture speaks a thousand words”, this move, which did not take into account any feedback, permission, or consensus from hosts, really is a step in the wrong direction. Airbnb is about community and trust. To assume discrimination as a default is really insulting to those of us who are inviting diversity into our own homes. 

I have taken the Airbnb pledge to be non-discriminatory, and it is genuine. I enjoy hosting guests of all walks of life, ethnicities, preferences, etc. This should be the default assumption of all hosts until proven otherwise. 

When I myself am a guest on Airbnb, in the unlikely but possible circumstance that a host would be discriminatory against me, I’d prefer that host to have the full, unfiltered version of my profile, pictures and all, so that I could avoid being placed in a position where I would be staying in someone’s home who would be discriminatory. 

Airbnb, please unblock my guests’ profile pictures. They and I do not deserve to be censored! 

Thanks, 

-Trevor

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/457547

12 Replies 12
AJ34
Level 2
Washington, DC

As a "Superhost," and long time traveler on AirBnB, I can appreciate this sentiment concerning censoring potential guest pics.  However, discriminatory hosting practices on AirBnB are very prevalent. So much so that the threat of enforcement investigation in the US was very real. AirBnB's actions are proactive, and warranted. Moreover, it serves as a temporary measure to gauge the difference in host conduct and trends. It's unfortunate, AirBnB is based on community sharing, diversity, and trust. But in reality, the Airbnb community has expanded beyond the original chore values and perspectives, and many guests have suffered the experience of discriminatory conduct. I don't discriminate, but I fully understand why Federal law in the US  does not allow for racial, religious, or national identifiers in housing as a requirement in the application. We all pay a regulatory price for the bad actions of the few.   

Discrimination works both ways - why are only guests allowed to see the pic of the potential host? Guests are not the only ones going thru discrimination and this lopsided change just puts more risk on hosts.

Guests are able to see profile pics, listing description and pictures of 10s of 100s of hosts and our homes. They are allowed the freedom to arbitrarily pick and choose who's home to stay in. As a host and homeowner, why should it be any different???

I would like to know what kind of person is sleeping in a room down the hall - this includes at a minimum, a proper profile pic along with a brief introduction of oneself, purpose of travel and why they chose MY HOME out of 10s and 100s of other listings.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Guest profiles as a whole are weak. 

No narrative section. Terrible pictures (even when they were there, not often helpful) Outdated city info. No age (18-20, 21+, 25+, 30+). Whatever name they’d like to list. Reviews (if they have any) usually vague An ABB profile is not a background check, it is not a verification of identity, it isn’t a guarantee of future performance. Hosts must ask questions, self-verify, ask for real ID and insist on good communication 

AJ34
Level 2
Washington, DC

Excellent point. Guest profiles have always been pretty vague, and it's really up to the host to ask for information they may feel relevant to hosting the guest. 

Carol-Lee1
Level 9
Montevallo, AL

I am a single elderly (I hate that term) widow.  I have a small apartment attached to my home I rent as Air BnB space.   The new no picture policy really bothers me, especially for anyone who doesn't have references.  I live in a very small college town and I don't want teens renting to party so I really need to see who I'm dealing with so I can ask more questions about what their plans are and explain the policy on drinking and partying.  I aslo would like a heards up if I'm hosting a man or woman in advance (some names its hard to tell).  If you aren't going to let us see more information before accepting a booking then don't penalize us for cancelling it.  It's not fair and it's dangerous to the hosts.  I am seriously considering an alternet way to list since this policy and others are setting us up for disaster.  What will Air BnB do if one of the hosts is injured or killed or robbed?  I especially feel for people who have a room they are renting.

Trevor26
Level 7
Big Bend National Park, TX

Thanks for chiming in everyone. My main point here is that Airbnb has peeled away a layer of trust. These are our homes that we are sharing. Airbnb is the middleperson and their role is to make a connection between two strangers with as much detail as possible so that both parties can determin if there is a good match. Airbnb should garner permission from hosts before enrolling them in this experiment, and at the very very least, notify them. To find out only after doing some detective work makes me feel like a test rat, not a community participant who has value in this conversation. It is also just plain creepy to have a one way window where guests with very little proven experience or reputability on Airbnb can view me, but I who have hosted over 300 guests of all walks of life, can't see back the other way. This is really insulting after all the years I have hosted successfully on Airbnb and this needs to be remedied. 

-trevor

AJ34
Level 2
Washington, DC

All very valid concerns. I do think we're ignoring a greater problem, and downplaying our ability (as hosts) to ask questions and screen potential guests before accepting the reservation.  It is our responsibility, not airbnb, to make the kinds of inquiries and scrutiny that meets our individual satisfaction. Every host is unique.  A photo should have nothing to do with that, other than to provide a superficial appearance for us to judge, often inappropriately.  

Claudia391
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

@AJ34 I totally understand what you are saying. Nonetheless, when the profile info in empty and there are no host recommendations to go by at all, it can become a little overwhelming for some.

AJ34
Level 2
Washington, DC

@Claudia391. You're absolutely right.

Personally, I've missed out on a good number of guests simply bcuz airbnb has such scant info required on a guest profile. The guest loses out, and hosts lose out on the experience and financial benefit.  Airbnb needs a better method.

Claudia391
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

@AJ34@Trevor26@Carol-Lee1@Kelly149@Jessica-and-Henry0Fellow hosts, this topic is definitely worth bringing up at the first Global Host Q&A session (deadline 29th Nov). If you did not get the invite (don't know qualifying parameters), put together a statement and a concise resolution to this issue and I will put it forward on your behalf. Best wishes, Claudia

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Trevor

If Airbnb and all the other STR's (short term rentals) would have a proper vetting procedure for guest and I'm not talking about Facebook or Google, photo ID would not necessarily be a requirement.

If fact a QR code and an Id Card would cover most bases, but this has a cost and we must keep them under control...

With an id card, a mobile phone and Geo. Location a Guest would be able to check-in and check-out, and the QR code could be unlocked to verify the Guests identity.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Laura1221
Level 2
New York, NY

I am also one of these hosts that have been selected to participate in this survey or experiment.  I was not informed or asked.  I was so confused what was happening.  Airbnb just changed the rules with out tell me.  That is not a good business practice.  As stated we are equal partners with airbnb and we are being treated as second class partners.  It is very disconcerning because I also have almost 400 reviews 4.9 and have hosted all people.  Why is it me that is the experiment. I have already showed that I host fairly.  I am not really a good test candidate because you have already seen my behavior from past experience. 

I am really disguested in the lack of communication between airbnb and the hosts.  This also goes for many of their new policies that they do not inform us of, the increase in airbnb fees to guests affecting our offering price to name one.  

Airbnb you need to respect your hosts more or prepare to loose us.