Automated Message Reminding Guests' of Check-out Time

Automated Message Reminding Guests' of Check-out Time

One consistent issue we face as hosts are guests who check-out late and claim they didn't know what time check-out was and we have to kindly kick them out. We do manually communicate that info but an automated message sent to the guests the night before check-out reminding them of the check-out time would be immensely helpful.

It would educate the guests and also make the experience neutral so hosts aren't perceived as trying to kick out guests or being eager to see them leave. Perhaps this is already in place which would link back to my request for a preview page where I can see what communication guests receive from AirBnB.

11 Comments
Marzena4
Level 10

Having encountered problems with my guests' delayed checkouts, I developed a habit of discussing it upon their arrival. Helps a lot, I must say, which doesn't mean I am against the idea - in fact the more, the better. With some guests it's never enough.

There is another growing problem - guests pressing on checking in early, even a few hours prior to the host's regular/stated checkin time. 

I think that those two problems should be addressed together. And it has to be emphesised that it is only the host's good will to accept requests like accepting luggage earlier/keeping it till later.

Anne355
Level 5

+1

I have had some guests asking for leaving their stuff there at 7 am and others (or the same) complaining that they cannot wake up before 3-7 PM and thus cannot leave the place for noon (OK, maybe I should change the mattress for a nail bed). Anyway, I try to be compliant and thus avoiid to rent the night before and the night following their stays. But my 7Pm entry-12 am departure time is only met 50% of the stays.Thus some nights are not rent and coulf be. 

I would also like some "offcial" email eplicitly mentioning arrival/departure times

Marzena4
Level 10

@Anne355: many times, just to avoid problems (I have a more-than-full-time job) I have to message the guests and "force" them to provide me with their arrival times. More and more assume that hosts operate 24h a day.

Leaving a night before and after as vacancies should not be forced by guests' requirements. When I get such a request (check-in at 6-11), I explain that there will be other guests at that time. I only accept leaving luggage in the hall.

When it comes to early check-ins, I missed the SH status because of such guests. I have a theory what kind of ethnic background is likely to do so, but am not going to start another heated debate here. 😉

Karen440
Level 2

Maybe a uniquely designed sign that matches your decor, strategically placed will help remind them?! But yes, an option to send an automated message (in my case the night before, as my checkout, unfortunately, is early) would be very helpful for both host and guest.

Huma0
Level 10

Totally agree about the check out reminder. This seems like a simple thing to do.

Not sure how this would work regarding check in though as that's a time frame rather than one specific time. Also, often the host and guest agree to a check in time within that window or to early bag drop offs, or to storing bags after check out. How would a reminder system cover all of those variables?

automatic reminder would be great. I have prepared text that I send to my guests evening before check out day. most of them respect check out times.

Guillem2
Level 5

Fully agree with this ... In addition to notifying guests prior to check-in and -out, add a feature to charge extra, if it is even possible, to allow early or late arrival or departure.

Huma0
Level 10

Yes, the option of adding an additional fee would be useful. If nothing else, it would remind the guests that the check in and check out times are official, not something they can choose to ignore if they feel like it.

Hotels charge for early check in/late check out (if not for storing luggage), so this doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Allan79
Level 2

I totally agree that an automated message from Airbnb would be a good idea to remind guests of the check out time.  At the moment, I try and catch them the night before they depart and ask them what time they will be leaving so I can be around to say good buy and reminding them of the check out time if necessary.  I am flexible on this if I don't have any guests arriving the same day, but I have had guests who think that as they checked in late, they have the right to check out later. 

Mario-and-Cata0
Level 4

It is not quite common to me, but when it happens it puts a lot of work on hosts. Totally agree!