Make the guest guidebook colorful and categorized

Make the guest guidebook colorful and categorized

In the image below, you see two very different versions of the guidebook.

On the left, the host version of the guidebook when editing. It is colorful, categorized, friendly to use.

On the right, the guest version when viewing. It is a grey blob of information.

Please make the guest version look as good as the host version.

Comparing Guidebooks of Host and Guest

According to AirBnB support, the reason for this is that the guidebook is meant for printing. (See quote below)

How does this make sense? We live in a technological world of smartphones and laptops. Guests find our listings on their device and book from them. So why would they want to print the guidebook?

Even if you print the guidebook, that still doesn't make it easier to use. In printed form, it would be more difficult to use. You wouldn't be able to zoom in or out. The locations are only ordered by whatever order they were entered in, which isn't helpful. And many would be multiple pages.

Also, I don't understand why it being for printing should change the design. Having categories and symbols would still be helpful printed. And if the issue is a concern of printer ink, then that's what a printer view is for. Though shouldn't that be left up to the guest? Perhaps some guests would prefer to print it in color.

Regardless of how it is used, the guest version of the guidebook needs to be more user friendly. As it currently stands, the guidebook is an unusable mess.

From support: "Our Guidebooks are set up for the Guest to print off the map and numbered listing of places you notated in the guidebook so they can use it around the City and find places they are looking for based on the number on the map and in the list."

3 Comments
Anonymous

I completely agree. Very few of my guests make printouts of anything from the listing (including the directions and confirmation) and rely entirely on their smartphones for navigating. I do point everyone to the Guidebook before they arrive, so that the forward-planners among them can plan activities and locate great restaurants, but the number-to-map view is a bit of a mess. It would be much more useful if guests could filter the results by category, such as Restaurants or Nightlife, with clear color-coded visual icons (like in Lonely Planet maps) indicating which types of establishment they're looking for. 

It would also be helpful for guests to be able to download an offline version of the guidebook/map directly onto their phones, as many of them are tourists from abroad that rely on WiFi for connectivity.

Carol95
Level 2

have you seen Hostfully -- I THINK this may solve your issues 

Merlin4
Level 4

While any external services can work, we shouldn't have to use them and neither should our guests. AirBnB already offers this and they should make it better.