Guests who do not bother to submit a review. The system needs to be changed in favor of the host!

Guests who do not bother to submit a review. The system needs to be changed in favor of the host!

Guests who do not bother to review should have their review by their host cancelled on `cutt-off` day 14. It is unfair that hard working hosts are deprived of reviews and a guest who has been too lazy to submit their review should end up with a nice `inbox` full of reviews. PLEASE Aibnb change this!  I have noticed that contact phone numbers of guests are now immediately removed upon check-out so it is impossible to send a guest a reminder about sumbitting their review when day 14 looms!  

Response from Airbnb

Reviews are central to Airbnb. We definitely agree that more reviews are better. Last year we explored the potential of incentivizing guests to respond to reviews. In this test we provided travel coupons as the reward. We found, surprisingly, that this did not increase the review rate. The biggest impact we have found so far on increasing guest review rate is to shorten the review process and notify or remind guests to leave reviews through additional channels.  For example, we found that hosts receive more reviews if they send their guest a message requesting one. We do not have plans to make major adjustments to the review process at the moment.

63 Comments
Darren31
Level 2

If a guest doesn't leave a review, it should be deemed they are completely satisfied and the host receives 5 stars across the board...  There is so much AirBnB propaganda to go the extra mile that we've all done - not for nought but we certainly are impinged when there is a downside

Katy44
Level 2

I think either party should have the option to remove their review if the other hasn't done one

Merlin4
Level 4

I agree with Sandra that negative reviews should be published regardless.

But if I leave a good, glowing review and the guest doesn't leave a review, that's unfair.

Lorraine77
Level 2

Guests do not leave review in lieu of leaving a negative one.  When you don't have anything nice to say, you dont say anything.  Guests who do leave negative reviews are then challenged by owner and this makes guest look less desireable to the next prospective host.

Rhea3
Level 1

I am new to air bnb and have had lots of bookings so far. Only one guest has left me a review. This means that even though I am set to reach SH on all other points, I won't because no reviews are being left. 

I joined air bnb to raise money for my tuition fees and spend a lot of time and effort to ensure guests have an enjoyable stay. I don't think it's a fair system. Some way or other reviews should be mandatory. 

Catherine137
Level 3

I strongly agree

Gillian15
Level 4

KINDLY Airbnb:  Feeling very fed-up! I have recently hosted 2 French couples in a row from different parts of France. They had a great time. I am a very dedicated super host. I give 1000% and more! This is part my main income to live & my business relies on reviews. None of them submitted their reviews even though I respectfully reminded them. My Airbnb is registered and I have my number on my site. I find it really odd that two sets of back to back guests did not submit their reviews!  I love my Airbnb business but this aspect has bothered me right from the start.

Why does Airbnb not take this matter seriously and listen to us hosts? Guests who do not review, should not enjoy the privelege of their host`s reviews.  Cancel please...it`s pure laziness on the guest`s behalf! You do not just forget where you have stayed! Come on! 

Step into our shoes as hosts, dear Airbnb team, and experience the disappointment and frustration of this issue. This is not my hobby and I guess most Airbnb hosts feel exactly the same as I do. High time something is done about this. We are after all the ones who contribute to the success of Airbnb. Who ever reads what we post here? Feeling like a voice in the wilderness!

Sandy81
Level 5

If a guest doesn't leave a review, I believe this should be noted on their profile. 

Nikolina8
Level 2

Perhaps an incentive of being a "Super Guest" similar to the AirBnB designation of "Super Host" could entice guests to leave reviews.  Those following house rules, communicating timely and leaving reviews would receive a super guest designation added to their profile.  I've only been hosting a short while, and only on weekends, so it's taking a while to compile reviews.  Or forget counting reviews - perhaps use what the big hotels are using by showing the potential guest how many views your listing is receiving at the present time and a sampling of reviews such as "this is what so and so said about this listing".  I agree it can be frustrating after putting in the extra mile time and again.     

Russell49
Level 10

It definitely gets frustrating. The guests do not mind munching away on FREE chips, cookies, chocolates, drinking FREE milk, coffee, tea, enjoying FREE netflix, etc...but cannot be assed to even spend 2 minutes leaving a review.