Hosts can flag guests and see a meter if other hosts also flagged. Proactive Security

Hosts can flag guests and see a meter if other hosts also flagged. Proactive Security

If the community senses a person or group of persons up to not good in a message we should be able to flag it in such a way that the community itself can be aware of it not just people behind the scenes at Airbnb. 

A safety meter can raise from green, yellow, in which hosts can see. Whereas the Airbnb team would be the ones who can read the specific notes. 

There are often times we spot things that are a safety concern and although we can report it or call in by that time it may already be too late or slip through the security cracks. It could be a security concern, or a troublemaker in the neighborhood, or a guest of underage kids looking to throw a party, etc. We can help each other more if we can see a meter of other flags. 

9 Comments
Azul0
Level 2
Just as simple as letting others know they are not good guests. I find you cannot be truly honest in a review. You are getting a review back and guests can be vindictive. I had guests that were just plain abusive and didn't realise they were living in someone's home and expected to act as if in a 5 stars hotel, ran my electric bill up the roof and swear the oven and stove and rail, were broken "before they moment they moved in."
Anastasia5
Level 3

Also there some problem when bad guests  message you in the middle of the night, insult you but not book so no review - and then they go insult next host, and what you can do?!

And some big groups make it "fun" - first one doing that, then, when finally get flagged, next one step in...

Should be way to recognize all folks in the bad groups and flag them all!

And should be way to make sign if later you find your guest did something, after you leave a review... Like, for example, guest stay with a pet, and room looks ok... and you leave good review about him, but when you start cleaning - you find mattress just turned around and there a tears and rips, and holes in mattress box what pet made by tearing it from the floor...  Even if you have security deposit posted, sometimes its real pain to proof how much repair will cost anyway, I have guests who tear down designer sheets and when I request pay for damage thru airbnb (because they not answer phone anymore) they after arguing and negotiating pay for the only one sheet price of regular sheet, "because rest of them still can be used'...  But have to buy new set anyway, nobody like mismatched sheets. Lol.

Also there problem when guests looks nice, you give to them lot of freebies like free tickets to the show, free breakfast, free snacks during the day etc and  room is ok after, so you leave good review - only to find out, they  leave review like your room is need to be basically rebuilt (for cheap price they pay  like 30 bucks total for two they expect you to soundproof all walls so they can be loud as they want, install new separate A\C and new windows what they will like and blinds... provide transportation... etc) and theys bad review affect your status as a host....  Especially that happened if you turn on that automatic booking tool and all kind of no-review-yet newbies book...

So I agree - some "guest meter" needed!

I even ok if hosts will get one too - because there no question in review like "did host do something special for guest?" so even if you give to them free tickets to the show and concerts and be they's free city guide and feed them and do laundry and stitch clothes - they may never ever mention it in review, because some folks believe its included, like they get $100 worth of tickets for four when they pay $35 total for the room - and they believe its ok to leave review like "Oh, it not so bad, but can be better"...

Sorry for being so emotional, its just really important , I believe.

Katherine41
Level 2

I've had so many weird requests from people clearly trying to do shady things keeping their names and photos secret but then asking to book in exchange for cash. I wish there was a way to flag this person and immediately get Airbnb to block any other requests from these people doing illegal or unethical things.

Marcia49
Level 1

Agree

Wyatt
Host Voice Admin
Status changed to: Popular

The status of this Idea has been changed to Popular. Ideas that receive 20 or more Thumbs up from the community within the first 7 days of being published become Popular. The Popular Ideas with the most Thumbs Up are reviewed closely by the Airbnb product team. In reviewing these Ideas, the original post and comments from the community will be considered. Thank you for taking the time to submit a thoughtful Idea that resonates with the community.

Ange2
Level 10

I don't know, this could well end up with the same problem as visible Stars for Hosts Only, and be used in a vindictive or petty manner, unless there are very strict categories such as extortion, abuse, fake identity etc. and they would have to be proven first.

I think the onus is on Airbnb to address situations in a more timely manner. I am not sure how the Flag even works at the Airbnb end. I have read posts where people have been robbed, blackmailed or verified their account with a fake ID Card and image (one case was a famous actress as profile image!) and the guest account is still live weeks later despite it being flagged, sometimes numerous times.

I love this idea, and I think it would be important to come up with a list of why you are flagging the guest, and the host could check all that apply:

You could select "before" or "after" the stay to clarify whether it is personal experience, or something the guest said before booking. For "after" (personally hosted the guest) this would be my flag list:

-Underage group

-Unauthorized party

-Over-occupancy

-Over-parking limits

-Neighbor complaint

-Law enforcement complaint

-Quiet hours violation

-Other conduct that threatens host's license/local authority to be on AirBNB (many communities have a "3 strikes" for bad guest conduct threatening the host's license)

-Unauthorized pets

-Unauthorized event

-Fraud markers (scams to pay/refund outside of AirBNB)

-Extreme property damage + lack of responsibility (interfered with the next guest)

-Extreme cleaning issues (i.e., interfered with the next guest)

-Missing/stolen items + lack of responsibility/denial (when someone steals/loses the TV remote, that is expensive to fix in time for the next guest with the next-day shipping)

-Concealed damage

-Unauthorized filming

-Extreme furniture moving (i.e., more than 30 minutes or requires 2 people to restore the room/home arrangement)

These are the reasons I would flag a guest. Any I have left out?

Sandro45
Level 2

I had a guest making a booking enquiry for the same day, but actually wanted to know how many bookings we receive monthly as she wanted to start her own Airbnb apartment. In addition her photo had 5 women in it which I assume is not allowed. Is there a way of flagging her?

Joel-and-Dawn0
Level 2

i really like this. anything that gives hosts more information about the people coming into our homes should be facilitated by airbnb.