Potential guests feed back for not booking.

0 Likes

Potential guests feed back for not booking.

It would be very helpful if Airbnb offered a short drop-down menu to request feedback on each Airbnb that is passed over for booking.  It would be great to know what viewers, potential guests, travelers, etc. think about the space and why they did not choose to book with any particular host.  Options could be:  Host rating, location, number of beds, too large, too small, no patio, not private enough, too private, not handicap accessible, just an exploratory view, no fence, not enough parking, etc. 

5 Comments
Anonymous

From the host's perspective, that sounds like it could be helpful data.

However, looking at it from the guest's perspective, it would be quite annoying to have this menu appearing every time you click or swipe through listings. I don't know what the averages are, but when I'm considering Airbnbs as a guest I often look through dozens of listings before I make a decision. And more often than not, I don't ultimately book on Airbnb at all - perhaps I use another site, or maybe I change destinations or don't make the trip at all. That's all to say, I think a major portion of our page views are coming from people who are ready to book a specific property at that moment.

Here's an alternative suggestion: you know how on your calendar Airbnb sometimes sends an alert saying something like "your listing appeared in Search for this date but guests booked a property that was $10 cheaper"?  I've always found this to be unhelpful, because it doesn't tell me whether the cheaper property offered equivalent amenities or location to mine, or if the guests were just booking the cheapest place they could find. What would help instead is a link showing the specific property that guests considering our listing ultimately booked - or if that's too invasive, it could at least display specs (location, amenities, reviews/experience) other than price, so that we have some insight into where the market is going. Too often I feel like Airbnb is trying to nudge us into undervaluing our listings against our better judgment, rather than sharing the data to improve our judgment.

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10

We have had guests come for so many reason that I'm not sure the information would make that much of a difference. Weddings, vacations, home buying, class reunions, family reunions, weekend getaways, craft brew tours, jet boat racing etc, etc. We already know our place will not fit everyone but will fit others perfectly. We generally do not focus on why people do not book because you can not accomodate everyone.  

The thing that has worked the best for us is staying in the space we rent. If we have a week where its not booked we will stay in the space for a few nights just to make sure everything is working properly and tweak what guests might want/need to make the space that much better. Our goal for the next year is to add a washer/dryer. We know we lose long term bookings with not having them but its a five figure renovation to do it right within our guesthouse.  

Seattle-Oasis0
Level 3

From the data perspective, this would also be really helpful for Airbnb to better match the guest with a host that does work for them in the future.  Airbnb tries to match guests with hosts as efficiently as possible, and this data would only help them achieve it.

Parul1
Level 2

I think it could be made optional and as a guest I would not mind filling it at all. Some places are really perfect except for that one deal-breaker element, and if host would like to know the same to improvise, why not? 

Rebecca181
Level 10

An idea worthy of consideration, but won't ever happen. Why? Because, according to Airbnb, there is only ONE reason, and ONE reason ONLY why people did not book a given property: The price was too high and needs to be lowered by some ridiculous amount. Finer points like those you mention in your OP, while meaningful and salient, would not be condusive to manipulating hosts into lowering their prices to bargain basement, K-Mart Blue-Light Special levels. Sad, but true.