Require names of additional guests

Require names of additional guests

We would appreciate a feature that would require the person booking a reservaiton for more than one person to provide the names of the additional guests and a "link" to their Airbnb profiles.  This is a security issue for hosts, who should know who they are welcoming into their home.  It also makes it easier for us to communicate with and welcome guests if we know all of their names.

27 Comments
Erin147
Level 9

@Tina0- what a horrible experience! I have also posted about this, tweeted Airbnb, and contacted the help center to no avail.  But FYI, you can absolutely prohibit people from booking on behalf of someone else (i.e. someone booking and then not being one of the guests).  It is a violation of Airbnb's terms of use.  Here's the blurb we put on our posting:  "For security purposes, we don't allow bookings from third parties and require at least one individual in the party or parties that is staying on the premises to make the booking request. Please see Airbnb's FAQ on this topic for additional information: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member."  Hope this helps!

Michele4
Level 9

One of THE most popular topics, and nothing from Airbnb for over a year.

Just saying....

I require all guests to provide the names of everyone traveling with them and we check identification  (it's written in our house rules). But airbnb really should be providing this information to us. 

Ben205
Level 10

@Erin147Yes, names of all adult guests is a good idea. At the same time, ABB should be firmer with policies like profile pictures being of the person, and profiles having an address associated.

@Michele4Good point about no response. There's another recent thread about 'uservoice' that suggests a better way to propose improvements to the system. Only works if ABB are interested in this sort of feedback, but we can only keep trying!

Zappa0
Level 10

Had a guest reservation get Cancelled once..by Airbnb. Yes..they canceled it and randomly sent me an email and removed her account because she failed their security back ground check. Wouldnt say why. Couldnt see her info anymore. 

Couple days later her husband (boyfriend) booked it under his new account. A few days after that She showed up with him. I somehow remembered her face and didnt let them in my home. Called airbnb immediately and they also told.me not to let them in. 

Registering her as a guest would have prevented this. 

Erin147
Level 9

Thanks for sharing your experience @Zappa0 - this is exactly what we're afraid of, and why we've been so vocal about this topic.  

Zappa0
Level 10
FYI..The night this happened I was communiating with Airbnb. This was my message (I changed the names):

I know it's 4am but this whole thing has left an uneasy feeling with me and I'm having trouble sleeping because they know where my boat is located and it cannot be locked from the inside.

I have been tumbling this over in my mind and have a couple more ideas/suggestions for you to pass along:
1. Travelers should have to list their guest's first and last names. If Don had listed "Tara" it would have been a red flag. He just referred to her as "wife.'
2. Airbnb should list the last name of the person they canceled for security in the cancellation e-mail. If  "Barrings" was on there, it also might have sent a red flag for me when Don requested to stay shortly after. It just said "Tara"
3. Photos should be mandatory. I immediately recognized her from the photo. If I hadn't...they'd be on my boat right now.
4 If it was the case that Don signed up for airbnb and booked it right after her removal, there should be some sort of added check for dates that were just canceled because of security reasons.

I hope that helps and I appreciate that the website is always looking for ways to improve security.

Thanks again.

This was dated October 2015.

Since then they have made adding the guest name optional, and then photo was mandatory, but now it says it is mandatory but it is not. Only for instant book I believe...correct me if I am wrong.