Twenty four hour access

Twenty four hour access

As a business traveller, I'd like some more specifics on 24 hour access.  I'd like to have a few choices:

1. Key code door
  2. Lock box
  3. Host available 24 hours
  4. Etc.

The convenience and value is huge.  I can tell you these options could make the difference between considering Airbnb for a business trip or NOT.

As for our home - we have key code doors for guests to use.

Just my two cents.

7 Comments
Helen3
Level 10

Hi Blake

I think it's rather unreasonable to expect someone hosting you in their home to be up/available for 24 hours a day.

Do you expect them not to be working, seeing friends, looking after children, shopping, having leisure time?

If as a traveller you want that level of service - it sounds like a hotel with 24 hour concierge would better suit your needs.

Blake14
Level 3

Helen,

Your choice to meet the guest is gracious and one I respect. For those who
prefer, you offer great value.

However, the majority of places I've stayed offer a key box or door code for access thus providing 24 hour access.  My wife and I offer a basement apartment situation that fits this.  A home we used in Sonoma offered the same. And, yes the owner was resident, but had created a home within the home with a door code they change for each guest.  Sara and I do the same for our guests.

Most business travelers I know don't really care to be personally meet.  In fact, hotels are now catering to this with kiosk check-in service.  Why? We just want to go to bed.  You may ask why consider airbnb?. Because when you spend 60 to 100 nights a year in a hotel, the experience becomes oppressive. Honestly, even on personal travel having to meet the host can become quite a burden and even embarrassing.  Sara and I learned this the hard way when our rental car died in the Bordeaux Airport and we kept having to change our arrival with the host.  What if they hadn't been able to accomodate this unexpected change?

BTW, Airbnb offers resources to set up access in this way and at last year's open in Paris (which we attended), these accommodations were a standalone training session.

Blake

Cindi3
Level 3

This is a valid suggestion.  I just got an inquiry asking if late check-in is OK since their flight doesn't arrive until midnight.  I do have door codes, so it is no problem at my place.

Helen3
Level 10

Hello Blake

I think some confusion here - you actually suggested 'Host available 24 hours' in your initial post - not 24 hour access - which is completely different. My reply was within that context.

If you mean 24 hour access to a property, then I agree this is appropriate for business travellers.

I do a lot of business travel and actually prefer staying in a hotel - but appreciate others don't

Good luck with your listing.

Rudy-And-Bea0
Level 4

Great Idea!  Highlight the flexibility of being able to check in at 1am if possible.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Blake14
Level 3

Sara and I are going to the Open in LA.  We will try to raise this with someone who can do something about it.  This is definitely an issue and unfair to hosts.  Worse, I think the location rating isn't necessarily effective for the main goal it should fill (was the neighborhood safe and accurate (with the host's description).