change the rating system from stars to something else- anything else

change the rating system from stars to something else- anything else

The rating system is unfair and causes undue stress for hosts. Stars remind the guests of hotel ratings and often they dont give a 5 star rating if it is not the Ritz. This needs to be changed.  This article is excellent. Also make communication to request help and support available with short wait times for ALL hosts not just Superhosts. This is fair and common sense to support all the hosts.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2016/06/29/the-one-issue-with-airbnb-reviews-that-causes-hos...

9 Comments
Jodi-K0
Level 1

I totally agree with you!  I hve been  superhost since the beggining, but because some people come in my home and take over and make the situation a night mare I lost it.  This is what I had to deal with.  Guy said his wife was staying, find out they just meta month ago t a bar.  Guy wanted to video tape me in my home. Couple gets in a fight one of them on the front room couch.  Crazy girl comes and stays and is not a US citizen beats me down cause I voted for wrong person/ again has no voting rights in the US. Couplecook every day in the kitchen sauting garlic or leaving food out for 5 day, then say my kitchen was not good enough!  Then I lost superhost.

Diane84
Level 4

Try calling them to complain about losing superhost due to no fault of your own! What an awful experience! I think the more hosts that complain the better chance of seeing some changes 🙂

Cormac0
Level 10

@Diane

I think the star system is here to stay, the only way it can be improved on, is if they broaden it out to a "Nine stars review" this would give far better granulation and give host something to aim for and additionally break the link with the hotel five-star rating system.

Using this new extended star rating system, Airbnb could group hosting's by LOW (averaging less than or equal to three stars, MIDDLE (averaging greater than three stars and less than seven stars), and HIGH (averaging greater than six star) sets, and give additional meaning to the not so smart "smart pricing" conundrum, essentially the grouping sets the pricing range you find yourself in, it could even ameliorate some of the issues around the comical “Location” category.

It would also reduce the impact of cranks and ner do well on one's over all ranking to boot.

This would be a very interesting project for an MBA student to evaluate.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII

Diane84
Level 4

I think they could make it happy faces anything else or at least they can explain to guests that the stars are not the same as the hotel ratings----are they supposed to be the same rating scale? I would think some hotel would have a copyright on the rating scale they use. Hotels are completely different. It is misleading at best and unfair for sure because very few of us have a set up like the Ritz we are renting real homes. If they made it 9 stars I think fewer people would participate - too much work.

I would really like to see them change the "superhost" policies and give us more credit for the things we can control like commitment level, and response time. It is unfair to judge us by the clients subjective opinions- fine to add them to our listings I think that is fair for the people to see all reviews but dont withhold things like "superhost"  and especially don't withhold being able to contact Air BnB when we have a problem. We should all have that direct line to get support to solve problems when they arise - it is good business.

Michelle140
Level 5

I only care about not getting a full five stars on overall, because Airbnb requires us to get enough of those. They should only punish people who regularly get fewer than three stars. That would really reduce a lot of stress.

As far as the other ratings: I can get offended from getting rated less than five for value, because it baffles my mind how cheap people want to pay for a room. I know how many hours I put into this, and I just can't make it any cheaper without it being better to just quit. Location is crazy annoying, because I clearly explain in my listing that I am in a rural location that is dark, and yet people dock me for their not understanding this, lol (I just got my first 2-star rating here from my last guest). Cleanliness is also annoying, because more often than not, they're docking me because of the cats, which are clearly detailed in the listing also.

So first of all, Airbnb needs to make 3 the expectation instead of 5, and if they want to keep Superhost somewhat exclusive, consider the % of both 5 AND 4 star overall ratings. Second of all, Airbnb needs to include in their directions to the guests on their review that they are to rate according to their expectations given the description in the listing (you are not rating compared to other places, but compared to the listing description).

Hear hear!  The fact is that Airbnb is utilizing the star system as pass/fail - 5 stars is a pass, anything less is a fail.  (Based on warning emails sent out if you get less than 5 stars.)  And if that's the way they want to do it, fine.  Just be sure to clearly communicate that to the guests!!  Which of course Airbnb does not do.  It's dysfunctional and demoralizing.

Naty3
Level 3

Finally! You guys get my frustration... Airbnb rate system is totally wrong and demoralizing. 

Im so glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. 

Diane84
Level 4

Yes ! It is nice to be heard even if only by other hosts I suggest we all call and email them with the feedback page it is a changing company hopefully they will listen to their hosts I told them on the phone I'm thinking of jumping to VRBO and other hosts were not happy either. We are their business. Also I tell the guests and ask for a five star rating this has helped 

Agree. I've never been a Superhost because I don't live on Bondi beach! My pricing reflects the distance into the city and frankly, in a place as large and spread out as Sydney I'm actually quite close. I can't do Ritz at suburban home stay rates and they shouldn't be expecting it.