A guide to using Scheduled Messages

Answered!
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

A guide to using Scheduled Messages

I tried this feature when it came out a couple of weeks ago.  I thought I would have to create a scheduled message for each and every guest, but once you set the parameters, it's applied to every guest booked for that listing.  The only thing I'll have to remember is following up with any personalizations necessary.  For now, though, it's great to open my inbox and found that I've just sent a message to a guest coming in ten days with all the info he or she needs.

If you haven't set them up, it's pretty easy.  Go to Inbox, then choose the three horizontal lines in the upper left next to "All Messages."  From there, go down to "Scheduled Messages."  You'll have the option to add a new message or to edit the ones you've created.

When you create one, you can give it a name.  My messages so far are all the information for a guest's upcoming trip, so I named one Cabin - Upcoming Trip.  The shortcodes are useful.  Type "Dear," then choose a shortcode for the guest's first name.  Type the message you want to send or paste it in from previous saved messages.  (You might need to have two tabs or windows open here, so you can easily access all your saved messages.)  Once you're done creating the text, scroll down and choose which listing it will apply to.  Then schedule it.  The choices are "Booking Confirmed," "Check-in," and "Checkout."  In this example, I'm sending check-in instructions, driving directions, and the house manual 10 days before check-in.  After choosing "check-in," you'll be given date and time options.  The dates range from 14 days before to 14 days after, and the time is of course any time of the day or night.  You can also create messages that are sent upon booking confirmations and messages that are tied to the checkout date.

If anyone would like screenshots of the process I'll be happy to provide them.

1 Best Answer
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Here are some screen shots for clarification!

When you're in the Inbox, go to the three horizontal lines to the left of "All Messages":  

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.01.39 PM.png

Click on those lines, and you'll see this list drop down on the left, with "Scheduled Messages" at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 5.55.55 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll see +New Message over to the right:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.04.10 PM.png

Click on that, and you'll get a box where you'll enter all the info.  Here it is in two shots.  Don't forget to scroll down:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.06.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.07.00 PM.png

@Landon26

177 Replies 177
Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

Seeing it also, .@Ann72. Good initiative by Airbnb. Also liking the Christmas / New Year's card feature on the dashboard.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Flavia202 

Oh they are offering an Xmas card send option? Something I've wanted. Thanks so much. Is it easy to find? Very best wishes from Mary

Hi @Mary996 ! It was a link in my dashboard last Yuletide season but it's probably discontinued until nearer that time this year, so look out for it.  Best wishes.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Thanks so much Flavia. Yay! I will look out for it. Lovely to meet you. Lots of love x

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Ann72 and @Lisa723,

Based upon your feedback I am intrigued to try this new feature.  Thanks.

Larry339
Level 10
Brant, Canada

@Ann72 

This is a very helpful and efficient addition to the platform. I have scheduled five messages: post-booking, pre-arrival, after arrival, check out instructions and after exit. It is totally customizable and you can delete a particular message and customize it for a special guest.  Overall a good improvement and worth the time to set it up.

Sami459
Level 3
Denver, CO

Can you attach photos to the scheduled messages?  I've been using SmartBnB for this, which I'm sure is more robust but depending on the level of features, I would consider switching.

@Sami459   Revisiting this - one of the Shortcodes does insert check-in instructions.  If those have photographs in them they presumably will be included.

When I tried to use the shortcode for check-in instructions, it said I didn't have any but I have pictures and instructions.  Any advice?

Belin0
Level 1
San Luis Obispo, CA

I have not been able to find a way to insert phots into saved messages.  If I have missed this option I would love to know.  It seems that adding a photo to a saved message would be easy for Airbnb to accommodate and it would save a lot of time on our end.  

Hi @Sami459  thanks for your question!  We don't currently support attaching photos to scheduled messages. This is a great idea and has been a frequent request. We'll take this into account when planning future improvements 👍

I believe the most important short code we could use is the Check-in instructions. Has this been resolved yet? And I am asking after spending almost two hours trying to make it work.

Thank you for any help with this in advance 

Vicky428
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi, @Scott my checkin instructions are 8 photos with notes- currently I have screenshot from the check in preview and am sending the 8 photos in a message. Is there a way to send a link from the checkin preview? Thanks Vicky

Hi @Lisa1616 sorry for the delayed reply.  Yes we have a Check-in Instructions shortcode.  You can insert it in any of your Quick Replies or Scheduled Messages and it will pull your check-in instructions from your listing.

Hi @Vicky428 yes you can include a link to your photos in your Scheduled Message, but you can't yet attach the photos themselves to the Scheduled Message.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Sami459  Alas it doesn't look like you can attach photos to the messages.  @Larry339 have you been able to do that in your customized messages?