Advice needed on writing review for guest who caused damage

Bronwen0
Level 2
Pearl Beach, Australia

Advice needed on writing review for guest who caused damage

Last week I had a guest and his wife who stayed for 3 nights and on the second night went out and left a tap running in the bathroom sink. This would not have been such a big problem but he also left the plug in the sink and a bathmat over the drain in the floor. The result was the bathroom flooded and water came through the ceiling and into my bathroom downstairs. If I had not noticed the water coming through the ceiling the damage could have been worse. The water has now dried up and I dont think there will be any long term damage.

This guest had very good reviews and was very pleasant. Leaving the tap running was an accident and he was embarrased about it. When I noticed the water in my bathroom I went upstairs to investigate and thought a pipe may have burst. I did not occur to me that anyone would leave a tap on and go out. I left them a note to say what had happened.

I would have expected him to come and apologise in the morning but it was not until later in the afternoon that I saw him coming back from a walk that I went out to see him. He was very apologetic and offered to pay something towards reparis if there were any.

I phoned airBnb and the response was less than comfoting. The seemed to be more concerned that if I had a plumbing problem I should not inconvenience any other guests and should cancel future bookings until the problem was sorted. It took we a while to explain that the damage was caused by a guest and the bathroom is useable. I will not be hosting any more for a while and maybe not again.

My queston is this - this guest has left me a review and of course I can't see it at this stage as I have not written him one. I really can't write a positive review as the damage could have been much worse if I had not been there to turn off the tap. It was an accident but could have been a very costly one for me. 

Should I write him an honest review?

8 Replies 8
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Bronwen0 good question ... I don't know what I would write... I mean-who would leave the water running in plugged sink and go out? Such "mistakes" can happen to kids only or to alzheimer disease patients. 

On the other hand he did apologize and offered to pay for damage...

Anyway, we removed the plug from the bathroom and kitchen sink for that very reason.

Thanks for your response. It was an accident but could have caused a lot of damage. Otherwise the guests were great and left the house spotless.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

After all my experience with guests and frequent moments of hesitation whether to write or not, @Bronwen0, I would mention it. Not in an aggressive way, just a word. Many guests assume they are perfect until you, as a host, point to the opposite. And a good lesson to learn asap - Airbnb does not support hosts.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Bronwen0
Level 2
Pearl Beach, Australia

That sounds sensible. Thanks.

Kat17
Level 10
Boston, MA

@Bronwen0 Can you have it fixed right away and collect for damages from the guest? If you can do it within the 14 day review period, I urge you to go for it. Then leave an honest and fair review.  Give your guest credit for taking responsibility for the damage and being honorable. Say in your review that you understand that accidents happen and that your guest was as horrified as you were. Say that there was no hesitation in doing the right thing. Say some Positive things about your guest that you would’ve said if there had been no damage – like were they friendly, pleasant, quiet, respectful, clean otherwise? I believe it’s important to be honest but fair. Remember: other hosts are going to be scrutinizing your review to sniff out a problem guest. If you don’t give them some hints as to what to expect,  the system really fails for all of us, doesn’t it? 

Bronwen0
Level 2
Pearl Beach, Australia

Thanks for your advice. I will mention it in the review but will also note all the positives.

I am always afraid that someone will leave the water running.

I know this does not help with your current issue, but we put in faucets that

automatically turn on and off when you put your hands under them.

This doesn't avoid the problem with the shower, but it certainly make for less worry

with the sink.

Good idea @Matthew285 I never thought of that ... but still there is a kitchen sink and a shower, so maybe the best is to remove the plug. Unfortunatelly we have a bath tub and guests demand a plug .... uff 😞