Advice on guest review

Sandy-And-Eliot0
Level 2
Chapel Hill, NC

Advice on guest review

We've been renting out private rooms in our log cabin for about a year and a half. The cabin is on a wooded property about a mile down the road from a former mill town in North Carolina that now has a concert venue, a couple of great restaurants, kayaking, etc. - a destination spot. Most of our guests are folks attending a concert who don't want to drive back to Raleigh/Durham and stay one night. So far, all of our reviews have been positive. My son lives in the cabin year round and is my co-host. This morning I got a message from the couple who rented a room last night saying that they decided they were not comfortable staying last night and that they felt the pictures and description on- line misrepresented "what the living situation is really like." This is simply not true. I responded that I was sorry they weren't comfortable staying and asked if they could say more about how the photos and description misrepresented the listing, that we try to be accurate and would appreciate their feedback. She wrote back that it was "hard to explain the sense of simply not feeling that it was a place that I would feel safe sleeping." Nothing about the photos and description. Now my guess is she is a woman from the suburbs who was uncomfortable in a wooded, rural setting. There is nothing objectively about the cabin that is unsafe and as I said we've had all positive reviews to this point. I've decided not to message with her anymore because her replies have been inconsistent and subjective.  But, what do I do about her review? Not write one? Write an accurate review with low ratings and indicate I would not rent to her again? I'm also concerned she will write a negative, baseless review. By the way, rather than tell my son last night that they weren't staying, they texted him 20 minutes after check-in to say they were stopping back by to grab something. Apparently, they took their bag and left the key on the bed and closed the bedroom door without telling him they weren't coming back. Advice?

1 Reply 1
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Sandy-And-Eliot0  I'd be inclined to just not review this person since they didn't actually stay.  If they happen to leave you a review during the review period, I would just write a short, factual review.  Something like, "We don't have much to review Guest on since they decided last minute not to actually stay."