Airbnb Calculator: Simulate Profit, Net Yield, CAC for my rentals

Jaeseok0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb Calculator: Simulate Profit, Net Yield, CAC for my rentals

Greetings! 

Just wanted to drop a quick post to share a link to an Airbnb income calculator I've been working on that host here may find it useful. 

A few years ago, I was just getting started with property investment and tried finding out which houses will make the most profit on Airbnb. 

So, what I did was, whenever I found good houses to buy, I looked into Airbnb listings around that area to check their nightly price. Then, wrote them in an excel, and see if they are making above 10% net rental yield. Although the calculation wasn't accurate since I couldn't know their true occupancy rates, it allowed me to quickly identify what are the bad deals are. Some areas just have low nightly rates but housing prices were expensive and vice versa.   

There ISN'T any good calculator for short-term rentals. So, I just made this one during my free time and published it as an open-source. (So you can take a look at the codes behind too)

The first image is the result of profit simulation with 75% occupancy rates and $92 nightly price. 

The second image shows 85% occupancy rates and lower nightly price. Giving me some ideas on whether I should lower the price for higher occupancy rates or not, and whether buying this property is a good investment or not. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 17.07.58.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 17.08.19.png

Link to the source code: https://gist.github.com/jaeseokan94/9864fc6e950c2d6c458d3a813112716f 

Link to the calculator: https://app.airbtics.com/airbnb-calculator

Let me know if this calculator makes sense and if you want me to add more fields. 

Safe hosting!

Jae

2 Replies 2
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Jaeseok0  This is amazing, thank you!!!  I'm going to look at a place near my three listings in Maine in a few weeks.  Although these places are booked very seasonally, I believe I can make it profitable.  Your calculator helps enormously.  I messaged you directly so I could get updates when you make them.

I really only had one question:  what is a one-off cost?  Is that the amount one would spend on renovating the place after purchase?

I'd like to use this for the places I already own.  They're mortgage-free and I know the operating costs.  How could I use this calculator to determine how much to raise rates annually?

Jaeseok0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72  thanks for your words it means a lot! 

Yes, One-off cost is the amount you spent when you purchase the properties (legal fees, refurbs, transaction fees, mortgage fees etc) and renovation. The one-off cost (combined with the down payment) is used to calculate Cash on Cash return.