Airbnb. Just drop the soap! Please

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb. Just drop the soap! Please

Have noticed several guests are saying ‘soap’ is missing in my listings. Young and older guests. 

We provide several bottles of shower gel & shampoo - different fragrances. 

At the sinks we provide liquid soap. I despise bar soap. I don’t wish to provide it, it’s a waste of money and after each guest - we have lots of 1 nights stays - it get tossed in the bin. All that waste of packaging too, day after day. Liquid soap can be topped up & I just find it so much easier.

But hey, it isn’t about me (as Airbnb policies reinforce every day) But ALL about my guests!? 🙂 

Any thoughts on this? 

33 Replies 33
Daphne70
Level 8
Montagu, South Africa

I don't provide bars of hand or bath soap as it just adds to the amount of cleaning you have to do.  Shower gel doesn't  leave any soap scum deposit on shower walls and glass doors like hard soap does. Hard soap has been banned in my household for decades. I provide good quality shower gel and liquid hand wash in pump dispensers that I top up as necessary - far more hygienic.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@David6. Please don’t ask them to drop the soap: ask them to drop the scummy questions in the review. This froth and bubble edition of a soap opera, is brought to you by the Airbnb bot for bacteria and the pedantic.

The amount of bacteria on hard bar soap can be terrifying! But to soap or not to soap may be an age old question. Used mainly by older or for the babies....

Neither a gender or nationality has stood out in it’s use in my humble abode.

I provide every variety of liquid hand wash in the kitchen and the bathroom. Liquid detergent for the dishes. Back in the bathroom you’ll find good quality (in pump dispensers) conditioner, shampoo and shower gel/ body wash for all your possible needs. But to solve the hard issue, you’ll also find at least one wrapped new hardsoap in the bathroom cabinet. So your preference for suds can be met! 

I’ve  specifically noted that it’s actually pretty rare for the discerning traveller to use the hard soaps, so it lasts a long time... untouched. Therefore, a cheap tick 👏🏼👏🏼 in my favour, against the dirty review question. Soap esteem saved!

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

In the shower I provide shower gel and shampoo .. but for the hands I have bars, as they are much more ecologically then liquid hand soap ... why: because a bar, last for decades, but the liquid soap gets wasted very much ... so much bigger amount of soap itself is used and then the new liquid soap arrives in it's plastik robe.

I have also no comments about missing soap .. but one about missing bedlinen and one about missing pillow .. hmm .. really?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@David6   In American prison lingo you can’t drop the soap bc then you’ll get attacked in an unpleasant way by the other residents. 

So when I saw your headline I thought you were going a whole ‘nother direction with this OP.