Airbnb Plus what exactly?

Kate292
Level 3
Saint Margarets Bay, United Kingdom

Airbnb Plus what exactly?

Feeling discouraged as a host seeing media coverage on the "Plus" scheme lauched today.  Firstly, I think the airbnb hosts' who offer easy, affordable, clean and simple accommodation are great and will continue to have a prosperous market: most guests are not looking for "luxury".  My concern is for those hosts that do aspire to be on the higher end of the market, what it means to be excluded from "Plus" category?

We were shortlisted for this back in November 2017 and to date have found the whole process to be a shamble. We underwent airbnb's photoshoot, inspection and "design consultation" (nothing more than a professional estate agent photographer with a letting tenancy style checklist). His only response was very informally, he believed we'd met all the requirements but would be better off waiting for airbnb's offical feedback and in the meantime I should google my questions as he didn't actually know anything about the Select/ Plus pilot. 

Despite doing so and requesting feedback, our Select/Plus  status has been "under review" with no updates whatsoever. Luxury is of course subjective,  but how can we aspire to coninuous improvement without any feedback? It is even more frustrating and discouraging to see updates in the press.  Thanks Airbnb for keeping us in the loop! From a small business point of view,  the lack of service and consequential loss of marketing as a result of being exluded from the "luxury category", makes me question whether all the airbnbs fees are worth it. I may deactivate my profile. 

57 Replies 57

@Huma0 I am fortunate to not be living in a 'Plus' area. Bookings inexplicably stopped for nearly two weeks (I am not in the family category by choice, and few use the 'work' category to stay at the beach - as if 'work'-ready homes could not possibly have kitchens or TVs...) but now there is a pattern: On Saturdays I receive 2 - 4 booking requests or IBs. I am also over 50% booked through September so I imagine that my bookings will slow down and I may drop in the search rankings. So, while I appear to be okay for now, I still feel quite sad and concerned for those hosts I have heard from here who live in 'Plus' areas who saw there busy listings become entirely inactive as of February 22, when the Plus website was launched. They are completely and utterly buried. RIP.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rebecca181

That's interesting. My bookings also seemed to slow down a lot for the first week or two, but have picked up since. I wonder if the new changes to the website baffled travellers looking to book at that time, but they have since figured out that there are other, non-Plus, listings they can book!

@Huma0 I don't know what your Airbnb search browser looks like, but on my end here in the U.S. the search bar says in faint letters 'Find Airbnb Plus Homes' or something like that. So when you type ANY town or city and the results are given, a traveler might assume that all the results are 'Plus' (I am sure few will be aware that 'Plus' is only in 13 cities right now'). I can only imagine their confusion when they see a tawdry, dimly-lit bedroom for $39.00 a night with orange crates for side-tables and wondering how this could possibly be a 'Plus' home. I do not know how this website released 2/22 came to be, but the entire concept and lay-out is so problematic and so ill-suited to the average traveler or typical Airbnb user that I can only hope bookings and revenues drop globally to the point where even Airbnb has to admit that it is perhaps just a tad ill-conceived. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

In Croatia we have to get a licence to host short term. We have to do a ton of paperwork including gas-electricity-chimney-water inspection and certificates. We have to satisfy "minimum tehnical requirements" for each star category (*** , **** and *****) Those requirements are much much more rigid and specific then Airbnb Plus and they determines every single item we have to provide from the number of towels, lamps and hangers to the size of rooms and bathrooms.  To be able to obtain 4* among other things we have  to provide parking spot, for 5* we have to provide a garage too.. . When everything is done and set then city offfice sends 2 inspectors, in person, to inspect the apartment and if they give us their blessing then we can get the licence. This paperwork cost about 250€ per apartment, and 2 months to do it..

So every licensed short term rent property in Croatia is Airbnb PLUS property and so much better!  It just depends if the host is able to achieve 4,8 rating on Airbnb. 

What I want to say is - Airbnb PLUS is NOT A LUXURY CATEGORY ! . It is just a combination of SUPERHOST + LISTING WITH BASIC GENERIC AMENITIES . Nothing more. With (just) Airbnb Plus requirements you can't even get 3* category in Croatia.

Look what is needed for Plus:  https://www.airbnb.com/plus/host/requirements/all

Those are NOT LUXURY requirements. It says 2 pillows, 2 towels, salt and pepper... but guests will expect Hilton hotel treatment because , Halooo! It is Airbnb PLUS !!! .... and will be dissapointed.,,,

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Branka-and-Silvia0,

Basically the same in Portugal!

i.e. A rental license for STR is mandatory and the associated license number has to be displayed in every online listing.

So before you can acquire a rental license – and everything associated with it: A lot of paperwork, community hall inspection by an independent government official, lawyers, adherence to minimum requirements on quality-standards and safety, lots of €€€ on administration fees, taxes & fiscal stuff to be taken care of, ID reporting to the border control authorities, and anything else you can think of.

I’m still thinking about Plus, when it comes to our region.

But you’ve got it right: The expectations by guests will be very high (I think we can live up to these expectations, but nevertheless). And what about when you will become ex-plus (when you are no longer fulfilling the criteria)?

So I’m happy we still have some time to evaluate the roll-out, as it passes by.

This is what I’ve noticed this far:

• Request to be put on the program. When you meet the minimum technical requirements: Pay $ 149 in order to get the process started.
  • Initially ticking the whole 100+ bullets on the checklist yourself?
  • Remote inspection?
  • Physical verification by a photographer with the same checklist?
  • What’s the real added valued in being verified by a photographer (max 2 hours or so, while taking pictures) over a number of glowing reviews by previous guests (actual people, that stayed at least 1 night and even slept at the place)? Aren’t these real verifications too?
  • Hardly any listing text? I suppose they anticipate on (especially) plus-guests not to do any reading at all!
  • The sub-category ratings are no longer visible (just overall experience is shown)?
  • Rental license number is no longer shown? (Look at the Barcelona plus-listings).
    Over there the license number must be shown in the listing as well!
  • Photos cannot be ‘enlarged’
  • The Plus-listings ‘load slowly’ in general

Ps.

Airbnb did mention, they already have over 2,000 Plus-Accommodations worldwide.

I counted them again today, but I only could find 1,649 of them?

So where did the other 350 or so go (17%)? Already taken off the program? Or are these ‘Work in Progress’?

I suppose it will take them at least 3 hours per property on labor (on premise photography & inspection + back-office type of work). And they want 75,000 Plus-properties by the end of the year.

So they still have a target of at least 73,000 properties to be put on the program, for this year.

Rough estimate: At least 110 FTE man-years at roughly $ 11 Million on initial fees.

Kate292
Level 3

Thanks to airbnb for finally responding to me directly on March 1st (mainly as result of this forum). Apparently my finished assessment was never received (aka the photographer never passed on the pics to them) this is despite my multiple attempts at following up with the Plus team over the course of the last few months...

So a shambles yes. They've also not replied to my follow up email (almost 3 weeks ago). I understand this must manic time however it's a very poor processs. 

In hindsight and reading these responses, i'm not seeing very much value to Plus for hosts so maybe indeed none of this matters. Thanks to all for the comments.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Kate292,

Thank you for sharing your update regarding your experience with Airbnb Plus here in the Community Center and for all your patience. I am sorry to hear the process hasn't been slightly smoother for you.

I wanted to let you know I been passing your feedback over to our Plus team (including your update here) and they have carried out a review of your case to help prevent this happening in the future. 

Thank you again for this and hopefully it will be smooth sailing from now on. 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Kate292
Level 3

Hi Lizzie, Despite your response, I *still* have heard *nothing* from the team. Do they exist? 

Regard

Kate

@Rebecca181  @Huma0  @Pete28

I gladly leave to Brian Chesky and his caste of great priests his stylish collections, his categories and sub-categories, self-check-in, vanity and cunning for the rapid ascent to the summit, and the consequent turnover.

Now, finally, I can devote myself to listening to Mozart and the art of the arrangement of cut flowers. Disobedience, in this case, is a value or a negative value? As a lover of history, I only know that the border between utopia and dystopia is very uncertain and porous and that what looms on the horizon - in this crucial passage of its history - is not my AIRBNB. Not anymore now.

The mission has changed. The banal business of departure is now over, even more changes are expected.

Can you continue in your mission even when you grow up too much? Or is the growth demand so important that it gets the better of everything and everyone?

Those who travel adore the AIRBNB formula both because of its downward price policy and because it is particular: it is an experience that conquers, it is undeniable.

AIRBNB wants to grow even more. He knows he has intercepted a need. He knows he created an addiction. Those who have never used AIRBNB, once tried, often become a regular consumer / user. So what does AIRBNB mom do? Raise the shot and, with it, the price.

It makes you live a special and different experience that goes beyond the low prices and that, despite the old imperfections (worn tools, such as performance and selective reward systems) will create new forms of dependency: from the pret-a-porter houses to the album of "Family", "Work", "Honeymoon", from superhosts to super houses "bollined" by the super-expert of part with a certificate of congruity.

Just travel on a small scale. Enough "craft" hospitality. Just penniless au pairs and pimply students. Enough rooms with one or two rooms.

AIRBNB now promotes the new product, the new "drug", operating in an increasingly urban and glamorous context. After the launch, the next step will be to induce (by all means, even the meanest) an ever-increasing disaffection towards the users' hard core, the minus (habens) and their behavioral models.

Mankind is pliable - even the AIRBNB subgroups - and the agency knows this, as well as knowing that the whole AIRBNB system is based on who supplies the raw material: the hosts.

Here then is the need to get the most out of them: a task not at all easy, an unnerving work on the hips until exhaustion. After the use of worn-out marketing techniques (Lower the price, please) and matching techniques (You know, dear, that near you there are hosts that practice lower prices than yours). It will soon pass to:

Hey, poor host, what are you waiting for to make your hovel "better"? Four Russian globtrotters, who eat caviar and Cristal while migrating from one announcement to the next, can not wait to set foot in your house for € 1,000 a night! This is your awake service. Work hard to guarantee them a stay that satisfies their (gargantuan) expectations.

Of course, things can not go the right way, as is often the case: the high-flying hawk (superhost) trained to capture coveted prey (guest money) may no longer respond to the call of the falconer (AIRBNB), with unexpected outcomes and consequences not estimated.

@Emily352 If I could nominate you for a Pulitzer Price for your above musings / observations, I would do so in a heartbeat. Brava! (And, I couldn't agree more). 

🙂

Airbnb does have its uber like tendencies which are going to harm it if it's not careful. Between the non existent host guarantee, impossible to contact customer service, and desire to push down pricing it may yet find a lyft to challenge it.

It seems to be happening in China - trip to Beijing anyone ? Tujia !

https://m.tujia.com/gongyu/beijing/?cityid=48&start=2018-03-22&end=2018-03-23&code=0322dcbjh5

Actually I think that is Gongyu - not Beijing, Beijing is more classy...

Kate292
Level 3

Interesting idea Pete!

@Pete28  @Cor3 @Emily352  @Kate292 @Huma0 Initially, after I first listed last May, I was receiving exemplary customer service from U.S. based reps. So good, that I decided to focus on being successful with Airbnb, versus the other booking channels available to me (although I did list with them, I did not 'subscribe'). The last few times I have called (on the 'super host' super special number, no less) I have been patched over to a South-East Asian call center. Not only am I on hold forever, when I do reach a rep, they have no idea what I am asking or what policies I am referring to, and, even worse, I have flat out received erroneous information, which, had I been a new or ignorant host, could have caused me great damage, including legally (for example, I was told to "not worry" that guests had not put their infant on the reservation - the infant was still covered by the Host Protection Guarantee. I have commercial insurance, however I still need ALL guests, including babies, registered. When I pointed out to the rep that he was not correct in what he was telling me, he kept insisting that he was, but later had to call me back and basically admitted he was wrong. God knows what newer hosts are being told - and believing what they are told). I have also waited on hold for 30 minutes or more on the super host line, had a rep answer, pain-stakingly explained my issue or need, and then be told, after some stumbling silence, "Let me transfer you to the super host line." And then I am put on hold all over again. 

I don't mind waiting for good, competent service, but what I have been experiencing lately is deeply concerning. I am having to educate the reps, while I am still learning Airbnb's ever-changing policies myself. My new tactic is to call the super host line at 2 or 3 in the morning. Often I will be transferred to the Florida center, and the reps there absolutely ROCK.

More and more I feel like I am playing a game with Airbnb, and the game is becoming both annoying and exhausting, i.e., how to succeed long-term despite a flawed review system, how to succeed while receiving incompetent support from the call centers much of the time lately; how to succeed when I choose not to be in certain categories (my property is not suitable for small children/ the 'Family' category  due to Newt Salamanders, stairs, hot tub, etc); how to succeed now that the new website launched 2/22 is basically a large billboard for 'Plus' properties, 'Unique Homes', 'Experiences', and 'Concerts' - I feel like I am in some sort of dystopian, Orwellian-influenced 'Hunger Games' sequel. Oh well, my property is premiere and desirable, and there are other 'games' in town. I just happen to love the original concept of Airbnb and the community in general, which makes it hard to let go.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Rebecca181,

Although they announced to improve their attainability. The contact number is more and more hidden on the Help Page.

They really want you to help yourself as much as possible!

Or seek help on the Community.

And as the functionality is changing that rapidly over the past months. They cannot even keep up with training their own support staff.