Airbnb Super Host not allowed to make online review of guests

Anthony209
Level 3
Martin, SD

Airbnb Super Host not allowed to make online review of guests

Did you know that as a host you are not allowed to write a review on a guest that "does not represent the author’s personal experience or that of their travel companions?" I never write reviews on my guests that stay in my two condos because I personally have not met them or witnessed myself the conditions of the condos upon their departure because I live 3500+ miles from "my homes away from home"....the condos are located on an island.  Hence, I have cleaning staff communicate with me the condition of each condo shortly after the guest vacates the premises to determine whether or not to file a legitimate claim against the guest's security deposit.

Unfortunately, I recently had a guest who had lost items that I make available to all my guests while on their vacation and therefore, I filed a claim through the Airbnb Dispute Resolution Center within the 14-day period upon guest checkout.

What I found interesting was that through the Dispute Resolution Center, the guest I am sure was notified of my claim and the dollar amount that I had filed against the security deposit, but sadly I did not receive a prompt response as to whether or not this guest would accept the claim "as is" or submit a reply with a renegotiated amount. However, the guest did write an online review once I had submitted my claim through the Dispute Resolution Center. Do you see where I am going with this?

So I contacted Airbnb Support and informed them that I did not really care to provide a negative review for a guest that I had not met or personally seen the conditions of my condo upon the guest check out. I also mentioned to Airbnb Support that I did not appreciate how this guest ignored my claim and did not promptly reply to it. Airbnb says that the guest has 72-hours to respond to all claims. I thought it was interesting that this guest had no problem taking the time to write me a review of which Airbnb Support could see but not share with me unless I had written my own review or waited until after the 14-day review period had expired. I was notified by Airbnb via Email that the guest had written a review. This review was 4-days after her departure of which I could not see for 14-days unless I likewise had written a review about the guest.  Coincidently, her review was written within 24-hours  after I filed a claim against the guest.  Do you think this was a coincidence or should I have given her the benefit of the doubt? The majority of my guests write their reviews usually within 24- to 48-hours of check out while the experience is fresh in their memories and because of the friendly reminder that Airbnb sends to the guests.

I requested that Airbnb put some pressure on this particular guest to reply to my claim immediately otherwise, I would go public and let other hosts know how this guest really is. Unfortunately, because I am not physically present to see the conditions of my condo and that because I have to rely on third-party information (i.e., my cleaning staff of 35+ years experience), I was informed by Airbnb Support that I was not allowed to write a review based on the information from my cleaning staff because it is against the Airbnb content policy "that it does not represent the author’s personal experience." This was confirmed by Airbnb management who assisted me in getting my claim pushed through before the 72-hour response deadline for the guest of which I greatly appreciated. 

The moral of this story is there is no way for a host like me to write a claim on anyone who stays in my two condos because of the present Airbnb review content policy; however, Airbnb continues to send me Email notifications to review all my guests. I don't like to write negative reviews on guests, but Airbnb makes is difficult to write a negative review when the dispute resolution timeline is in the hands of the guest and leaves me vulnerable knowing that I couldn't write a negative review within a 14-day time period if I wanted to. The power is in the hands of the guests and they can take their sweet time or ignore your messages altogether up and through the 14th day. Meanwhile, I have no recourse. Does this sound reasonable to you? 

Do you think this policy needs to be amended for hosts that are in my particular situation? How am I to provide information to other hosts if I cannot provide honest feedback from a third-party source that cleans and/or manages my condos? Sounds to me like Airbnb is looking out for the guest and not the Super Host. Would love to hear feedback from the online community about this specific topic.

Happy Hosting.

5 Replies 5
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Anthony209 

ah... theoretically, the guest who cancels at the day of arrival but never checks-in also should not leave a review but they often do and good luck if you try to convince Airbnb to remove their review or rating.

Also theoretically,  untruthful reviews are not allowed but again, good luck to have them removed.

So, if you want you can write a review based on your cleaner's report and your communication through messages. Many off-site hosts with self-check-in options and practically all agencies leave reviews although they never meet their guests.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Anthony209 You are correct that the guests can have your review removed if the issues noted were reported by a "third-party", i.e. your cleaners. The workaround is to make your cleaner a co-host, without access to the account. Then their observations are no longer considered to be "third-party."

Ridiculous, but that has worked for three remote hosts that I know.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Anthony209   I do not live with at properties. I do live in the same town, however I’m not there to personally witnessed behavior of my guests . When they steal a break something, nobody, even on property host is there to witness it. You do not have to discover the disappearance personally for it to still be your experience. Your cleaners are an extension of you, they are hired by you to do this job. I leave a review for every single one of my guests. It is based on their communication during their stay, and the way  my cleaners discover the place when they’re in there in the morning. I go to my places pretty much after every turnover, but I’m not always there before the cleaners or things may not be discovered during this small timeframe that I am personally there.  Airbnb openly recognizes that we use cleaners, even offer us to sign a living wage pledge. What that representative told you either a loophole we were all not aware of or was simply incorrect.

Going forward I encourage you to leave reviews for all of your guests, particularly for those who had good experience to encourage them to leave a positive review for you in return.   There is something about that message - find out what so and so said about you – that courage is even the laziest of communicators to write a review back. Now that you have this one hanging over you, it would be nice to vision  it with positives from others. 

As for this particular guest, when I file claims, which is not that often but still, many just ignore it. They do not have to reply.  And you do not need them to reply. If you have receipts and proof, Airbnb will deal with it. And of course they will leave you a negative review. That has been discussed on these words many times and an unfortunate downside. We have to choose between getting paid for missing or broken items and getting a negative review or eating the cost. Just yesterday, a set of new bedding disappeared from the house and I had to make that tough choice because of course they would’ve left me a negative should have I made the claim. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

This does not make sense to me. Reviews are not only about witnessing cleanliness or shaking a guests hand. You have "personal experience" when dealing with this guest.

If it were true that you cannot review a guest unless you were personally there to witness their stay, then there would be very few guests that actually have reviews.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

If this is the case, then theoretically no commercial enterprise listing on Airbnb would be allowed to write a review. Or any host who does not personally meet the guest and/or do the cleaning and inspection after their stay (which would likely include most Airbnb Plus and Luxe 'hosts'). Or am I misunderstanding something?