Airbnb abruptly canceled account & future guest reservations, how can I reach the guests?

Meghan1
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

Airbnb abruptly canceled account & future guest reservations, how can I reach the guests?

I am a 3 year superhost and airbnb abruptly canceled my account yesterday morning without explanation. Without speculating on the backstory for the moment- I am most concerned about my guests that had their reservations canceled abruptly- including one woman who was to stay with me this morning for a few weeks to visit her daughter's new baby. I have no way to reach her. Any meassage I try to send as a host or traveler to anyone is now blocked. And Airbnb refuses to discuss anything with me. I thought of trying to message other hosts who had reviewed one of my other guests to see if they could still contact her, but the site is blocking my inquiry.

Any ideas?

48 Replies 48
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Meghan1

Here in the Community Centre we do not have access to users account and therefore cannot offer any advice on what steps you should take here to correct this.

For Airbnb to simply close a user and hosts account with no prior warning and no explanation is an incredibly drastic step. Is there some information you are not providing here Meghan?

You are going to have to access a higher level of support than using the CS phone option.

I would suggest you send a direct message (DM) via Twitter.  Airbnb seems to have dedicated staff who monitor their Twitter feeds! Although I have never had to use them I understand from many who have, this level of staff support seem to have greater powers of resolution than enquiries to the phone pool, and an enquirer will usually hear back from them within 5-10 minutes of posting an issue.

Step 1: Log into Twitter

Step 2: Search for @Airbnbhelp and choose "Follow" them.

Step 3: Send a Direct Message (DM) explaining your issue and wait for their response.  When they respond, they may ask for detailed information about your listing but always provide it over DM so it is not public.

Good luck Meghan, I hope you can get this resolved satisfactorily!

Cheers.....Rob

Thanks for that detailed advice- I will try twitter. I won't hold my breathe, but perhaps I can learn more about what happened to my account (and the payout they haven't sent me for a guest stay while my account was deactivated. An internet search reveals many examples of 'drastic' decisions Airbnb has taken to the disadvantage of guests and hosts- I would like to have believed something like this was unlikely too, but I think they have grown too big to tend to their culture so well. And I still have some hope to find someone there who is able to provide good customer service, but I have found it to be lacking when I've had previous troubles.

Since you asked about the backstory, I will share- perhaps this could provide some experiental wisdom to others that remain in the communnity. The short of it is that Airbnb was reviewing a claim I made after some recent guests damaged my front door security camera, had additional guests stay, and brought a sizable amount of illegal drugs, edibles, and smoking paraphenalia into my home in Ohio. I requested my security deposit to go toward the cost of repair of the camera and asked Airbnb what, if anything, to do about the drug situation. They had some questions for me but then terminated my account before I heard any decision. I can only speculate that the guest kicked up some story about privacy, and perhaps any threat of legal action on their part compelled Airbnb to just get rid of me.

There may some technicality I missed that went against policy, but the camera only faced the point of entry (not the living space), was in plain site, and was noted in my listing. The guest and I even messaged about it  (though he is the first one to ever be disturbed about it) and I reassured him on these points. I only installed it because that listing was burglarized in between guests stays while I was traveling earlier this year. The drugs etc were observed when delivering requested linens and had been alerted the unit would be entered.

Airbnb requested footage of the camera, descriptions and explanations- all of which I provided in detail and reminding them of the burglary earlier this year and the measures I was taking to increase security. After that I simply received an email stating my account had been deactivated and I would not be able to discuss or change the outcome, nor expect to be able to communicate further.

I reached another person today to at least inquire about the missing payout (and was told they will look into and get back to me...)

I am most heartsick about the guests who were canceled abruptly when my account was closed, however. I have a bad egg every once in awhile but mostly get to have wonderful visits at times in peoples' lives when big things are happening, planned weeks and months ahead- and so I care very much about the trust they put in me during these times. One was a grandmother arriving to stay near her daughter's newborn for 3 weeks and another needed the space for her family arriving to help her move cross country this past weekend. No other listings were as close as mine for these occasions and I can only imagine how stressed they were to try to find something in a hurry at the last minute.

To make travelers so vulnerable, with unexplained cancelations, is truly unforgivable.

Holy cow, @Meghan1 what a terrible story. It is commendable that you are most worried about your booked guests over your own business continuing. I know it is hard to think about them, but count this as a blessing to get away from Airbnb, which has demonstrated its ridiculously terrible level of customer service on every level in your parable.  I have much the same story minus the camera and linens part. They are still ‘investigating’ the case a month and a half later and have been 100% inept in all communications. So far I’m not deactivated, but if I was  I can’t say I’d be sad. That could me the $50.00 per reservation of cancellations and allow me to take my booming business elsewhere and line someone else’s more deserving pockets for their marketing platform. 

I see you are in Cambridge, MA— use this as an opportunity to get on sabbaticalhomes.com  or another and run far far away from Airbnb ahead of the curve. 

The tide will turn on them fairly soon, I predict. 

Thank you for the suggestion Jess- I will look into it. Well, I hadn't bothered cross-listing to other sites, but I don't think there's any reason all of us couldn't be doing that anyway. Yes, I cannot imagine what explanation I could ever be given that would make me interested in doing business with airbnb again, and I know at least some of my canceled guests feel the same way. Miraculously, I bumped into one of them because I was so close to the family she was visiting- and she shared she also wasn't given an explanation.

A company is only as good as it's culture. Once you've seen this side of things- that Airbnb can abandon you without care in your greatest need- it feels inappropriate to be connected with them.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Did Cambridge pass any recent laws about short term rentals, mandating a registration or permit, causing airbnb to delist you?

Mark- good point to look into. I thought I was current but perhaps there has been a change. I would have expected airbnb to communicate more proactively about this issue if it had something to do with deactivating my account though; I think I am a bit naive about Airbnb's business culture.

@Mark0our city has always had stringent regulations. Abb cares not one bit. I’d guess 80% of listings I see in our area are illegal and unregistered 

stories like this are all too common. We all need paper backup records & we all need to be on at least 2 sites. I really should create a self-booking blog/website/something but I’m totally stymied about getting started 

@Kelly149 I think you are right about all those points. Surely, competitors are on the rise? It would be great to have a group where the travelers are also hosts- might guarantee an extra level of great experience on both sides (though this last troublemaker had previously been a host, with great reviews...)

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I sync my bookings to my google calendar, but not quite the same and does strike me that backing up all data is good risk management as we have seen this happen quite a few times.

David

Yes, in retrospect I wish I had emailed and called any accepted guest so I always had another means of contact... Should I start up again using another site, that would at least help me safe guard that guests aren't left wondering how the host could leave them hanging.

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

I think it may be the camera. Was it mentioned in your listing description?

yes, it was mentioned in the listing. I find guests do not usually read the description thoroughly.

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

@Meghan1It is outrageous that airbnb are not giving you a reason for de-listing you

Yes, I thought I was completely on the square with the camera situation (in the listing, in plain site, only pointed toward the point of entry. Perhaps this disgruntled & naughty guest made some other false claim when countering my claim for damages? I have tried to make inquiries contacting other agents, but so far am just getting passed along with the promise they will look into it. So far, no response with twitter (DM or open). 

If there was some technicality I missed that compelled Airbnb to legally distance themselves (and leave 3 bookings of guests up a creek)- you'd think I'd get something more than:

"We cannot reconsider this determination or respond further regarding your account."