Airbnb donation: should host and employee lives matter as much?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Airbnb donation: should host and employee lives matter as much?

It goes without saying that what happened to George Floyd is despicable and this thread is not about that. The question is: should a company that cannot meet contractual obligations to its partners (hosts of colors and backgrounds) and just laid off 1900 humans be giving a half a million dollar donation, no matter how worthy the cause is. For those not aware- Airbnb announced .5 mil dollar donation to Black lives matter

128 Replies 128

@Anonymous  Just for the record, Jersey City is a majority minority city with 35% of residents identifying as 'white' and our neighborhood is reflective of this level of diversity.  

@Mark116  "Defunding" the police doesn't mean not having any police force to deal with someone robbing a bank, committing assault, driving drunk, and other obviously criminal activities, nor having police investigate murders, rapes, etc. It simply means redirecting some funding currently given to the police to other social programs aimed at helping people so they don't end up becoming a criminal who endangers society and requires police resources to deal with.

@Sarah977 and lets not forget that the very people going into a meltdown of incredulity at the notion of defunding the police - which is really just a slight step back from it being the most militarized police force in the world - dont seem too bothered about the systematic defunding of education, healthcare, the arts, social services etc that's been underway for the past 30 years

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

"...an email sent to affiliate marketers by Rakuten Linkshare on behalf of the LEGO Group. The email requests removal of product listings and features for more than 30 LEGO building sets, Minifigures, and accessories that include representation of police officers, firefighters, criminals, emergency vehicles, and buildings. Sets include the LEGO City Police Station, Fire Station, Police Dog Unit, Patrol Car, Fire Plane, Mobile Command Center, Police Highway Arrest, and many more. Even the LEGO City Donut Shop Opening set — which includes Police Officer “Duke DeTain” and “Crook” Minifigures — roleplay items including a Police Handcuffs & Badge Set, and the adult builder LEGO Creator version of The White House made the removal list."

^^^ "roleplay items including a Police Handcuffs &  Set".  

Any mention of the LEGO whip set, my role-playing neighbors want to know?

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

LOL @Fred13 - It's definitely lighten-things-up-with-humour-time! (Not sarcastic.) (- Neither was that < !)

Hehe. You got it..yeah we never should loose our sense of humor, even during trying times. 🙂

They have only temporarily paused marketing and in an official Lego statement say that reports of withdrawal from sale is fake news.

That explains it @Sandra126 , it sounded too silly to be true. Still, my kinky neighbors remain worried. 😉

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Well, people...believe it or not, my city is in the news feed. I couldn't believe my eyes at the first moment:

"Young people gathered to protest in downtown Sofia, condemning racism in the country and around the world. The event was peaceful, and one of the reasons for it was the case of the murder of a black man by a police officer in the United States. "I can't breathe" was chanted by all citizens at the protest in memory of George Floyd, who died in the US during a police arrest. 

The demonstrators in Sofia believe there are systematic acts of racism in society, the manifestations of which violate the quality of life of all people."

Some other people joined later-4 protesters against the 5G network and another 5 from our local anti-vax  movement.

@Dimitar27 hilarious that anti- vaxers and anti-5Giers came out too  

Anti-vax movement? I had to look it up to get up to date. 

@Dimitar27 I appreciate your posts, they bring an added perspective from a country few us (across the pond) may not be familiar with.

@Inna5, @Fred13  Along with the normal people, every protest is attracting herds of idiots. Always.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Remember when we were kids and played "store", "school", etc. I just pictured a whole new generation of little kids saying, "Lets play protest march", "Let's play pandemic lockdown", "Let's play we just got laid off".