Airbnb is going to lose me as a host (if current trends keep up)

Airbnb is going to lose me as a host (if current trends keep up)

Due to the monumental pressure Airbnb now puts on hosts to use Instant Book, I too tried it, despite obvious safety and quality-of-offering issues. I quickly turned it back off after discovering:

-- My listing did not show on open dates | Meaning, you can't find my listing sometimes even if it the EXACT listing you're seeking! I've had two guests in the past ask if my listing was still on Airbnb when it was available and should have come up in their searches on those dates. Unreal.

-- My listing did not show in the correct geographic location. | I have a neighbour who also uses Airbnb and hers did, so it's not a matter of me not understanding the geographic location is intentionally vague until booking. Airbnb is clearly boosting search results for brand new hosts, those that use Instant Book, and possibly others who bend to their will (ie. offer monthly discounts when they pressure you or use their price suggestions when they pressure you). Again, unreal.

-- My listing did not show as available under Instant Book! | This was the final straw. I have had a successfully rented place for months until Airbnb changed their search algorithm regarding Instant Book, but even when I bowed to pressure and listed MY HOUSE as instantly available, for three days it still didn't populate the searches on the site! Beyond unreal. Incompetent, really.

A Google or Amazon or Facebook could so easily disrupt this market place with very little effort. I hope a Facebook Places or Google Stays or AmaZones is brought to market while Airbnb tries to juke the stats pre-IPO and screw their hosts. Hey Airbnb, the reason your service is good IS BECAUSE OF HAVING GOOD HOSTS. That's what makes the renters rent.

10 Replies 10
John498
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It certainly ain't what it used to be. I have been six weeks on and sure busy around Christmas. I rarely get speculative enquiries now and the only far advance booking was someone on NYE. I agree with a lot of your points above. But given the current scale of Airbnb I can only work with what they provide. I would have to move to Homestay if I went elsewhere.

Paul4
Level 10
Kiawah Island, SC

Much like other major sites I use, Airbnb's search algorithm is devolving into a demented programing experiment that punishes many of the best suppliers of "their inventory" in many areas.

"Demented programming experiment" — hahahahaha

Agreed 100%. Among several, Instagram comes to mind. Of course, the stakes with renting your home are considerably higher than sharing a photo of your pet.

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

I wonder if their algorithm punishes people who post negative stuff on the community centre??? Might post this as a operate subject!

Airbnb is becoming a total fail.  The Algorithm also lowers or increases your "recommended" nightly quote based on recent reviews.

I had a guest request to leave.  Because his mother was not happy with the idea of air bnb.  after two years of hosting in this same apartment, same room, etc. he needed a reason to leave.  All good I can totally understand if someone's elderly mother who is not accustom to sharing a two bedroom apartment while on vacation, complains and would prefer to go to a private hotel. 

The guest emailed me at 11:30 pm saturday, the night before Easter.  I normally respond within an hour, but I was sleeping and out of town.   I woke to the guests email and responded.  I then read an email sent by airbnb that they would call me.   instead, the unilaterally cancelled the guests reservation.  Additionally, when i went to review the pricing, after the guest left, Airbnb's suugested nightly rate for my apartment was $50.00 a night.  compared to $85-100 normally.  I checked to see prices in the area as guest and they were still $85.-95 a night for similar apartments in my geographic location.  As you may also be aware, if you do not list your aparment at their suggested rate, they don't show your listing, but rather push it down, despite any 4.5-5 start rating, etc.

If anyone else has noticed this or experienced other algorithm issues or experienced how airbnb negatively treats hosts.  let me know, I am colleting information for a Huff Post article.

Emma94
Level 10
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Airbnb is becoming arrogant to the point that they think they are 'too big to fail', which is laughable. Soon they will tople just like every other company who thinks they are above the very people who contribute to their success. 

Denise126
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Yeah me too. Different reasons. They keep pushing hosts to put the price down. I get maybe one message every 2 weeks telling me that otehr hosts in my area are cheaper. Of course they are cheaper. They are getting the same emails. Prices have dropped 30% in 2 years and I can't afford it. 

Now they have a new campaign to get me to have slacker cancellation bookings. They say gusts will go to those with less stricy cancellation policies. OF COURSE they will. But again -- how does that help me? All it means is extra work

Tons of new platforms on the rise.  Whether AirBnB cares or not, they will likely become the next Uber.  meaning still make money but completely lose their hold when a new platform takes care of all of AirBnB's issues like Lyft did to Uber.

Lorein0
Level 1
Duncanville, TX

I am looking for other alternatives to airbnb as although I have the strict policy they are failing us by stealing from us refunding false claims from unscrupulous guests.

Luca1668
Level 2
Salerno, Italy

Look on Facebook for the group: Airbnb Hosts Who Got Screwed by Airbnb

I've recently got seriously screwed by Airbnb after 3 years of great reviews and stats.
Airbnb threw me under the bus for a client that lied through their teeth in their review of my experience.

It is time we hosts band together and let Airbnb notice us and acknowledge that we are the hand that feeds it.

JOIN THE GROUP!!!