Airbnb platform rating system explanation. What do you think?

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Airbnb platform rating system explanation. What do you think?

Hi 🙂

I'm trying to make a new explanation pamphlet for my guests to read. 

How do you understand these explanations below - do they make sense?

I have written both myself and want to use pieces of that to the new "pamphlet". 

I hope it might help guests to understand internet rating platforms better and how they work - those with 5 star ratings are on the top when people search and that it is basically what a 5 star rating does - keeps the host on top of the search field. Screenshot_20191122_232748.jpgScreenshot_20191123_024056.jpg

51 Replies 51

@Dimitar27 Of course the system is build of algoritmS with a big S behind. Guests ratings do only have a part of where a listing is placed - I have never thought that guests ratings was in any way the only thing that matters. I have tried to explain how a system like Airbnb is put together - also linking to the Forbes article - but people don't really seem to understand. Some even think I would post those explanations I wrote on my listings. I would of course never do that. 

@Sandra856 

Your question is - What do you think of the rating system? 

My answer is - It is not giving you any information when messaging guests that a host is a Super-host with only 5 guests!

It needs time to become experienced, so the system is lying guests when there is a message that a host having less than a year experience is... very experienced because he is a super-host, which only means that he had 4-5 guests giving him 5 stars... 

Joy298
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

I believe ABB raise listings for a short period of time and observe if those listings got bookings during the promotion. Listings that passed the test would get more chances to get another raise. Yes I mean conversion rate.

I usually got several bookings on successive days. Then back to silence for a few days. Then repeat.

However @Sandra856 I would suggest don't underestimate people's malice. I've heard a story that a returning guest said he rated the host down intentionally so that more likely the place won't be booked and he could get back whenever he wants. Horrible...

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Another strange thing is that  the only one "Plus" listing is somewhere on the bottom of the 1-st page.

Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Sandra856 Personally, i don't like to set expectations from my guests. They can interpret it as preaching,  hard sales and undue pressure. A review after all, is personal and subjective. Airbnb on the other hand should have consistent guidelines and fix the inconsistent review system. 

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

I would not send that to guests...

Here is what I do (took a few ideas from other hosts, and came up with this)... After the guest leaves (same day or the next) I send them a message (sorry for the language mistakes, my original one is in portuguese).

Hi X,

Did you have any problems with the check-out? Thank you for respecting our space during your stay and for leaving it clean and tidy. We really appreciate that! I hope you have enjoyed our city.

If you don't mind I would like to ask you for a favour if you have a few minutes. Opinions and grades have a great impact for both guests and hosts, if you could send us a review it would be greately appreciated.

Airbnb system is up to 5 stars...

5 Stars - Better than I expected (perfection doesn't exist but we were happy here)

4 Stars - As expected (There are a few things that need improving)

3 Stars - Below what I expected (There were some serious problems)

2 Stars - Way below what I expected (Close this host)

1 Star - Disaster! (Call the police and arest this host)

We work hard to get five stars, and we would really appreciate if you cold send us a message on how we are doing in that aspect, we are always looking for a way to improve guest experience.

In case you came back to our city we hope to see you again.

Thanks

Leo2165
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I find by simply messaging the guest Via the Airbnb app as soon as possible after they check-out with the below and then immediately review them, i.e., before they get the chance to review us and so they get the notification works well for me.

I also find some Hosts try way too hard with the description and end up ‘talking up’ their property which raises guests expectations prior to the stay or in the house manual which doesn’t align to what the guest is actually experiencing. Doing this will only lead to lower ratings. Keep info. simple, straightforward and, above all, accurate and honest. 

—-

Hi [NAME],

Thank you for choosing to stay at Manor Lodge, we hope you had an enjoyable stay and a trouble-free onward journey.

We work very hard for 5-star reviews as great reviews will help attract other guests to stay as well as work towards maintaining our Airbnb Superhost status.

If you enjoyed your stay and could spare a few minutes, could you please write us a short review of our property?

Also, if you had anything go wrong or if you have any suggestions on how we could do something better, I'd be very grateful if you could send me a direct message as we'd welcome any feedback to help us improve.

All the best,

—-